Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2022, 10:11 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29000 GVWR
Alternative ceiling finish for those who left stock ceiling in

Hey there! We are one of those bus people who chose to leave their original ceiling in. Yes, some of you are against that but we did check for leaks multiple times during demo (had thunderstorms
just about every week) and our bus has 3Ē of dense fiberglass in the ceiling that is squeaky clean - it was a mountain built bus so they have denser insulation in them. And there isnít much we could install aftermarket that would of given us a higher r value there so the original perforated ceiling and all those rivets stayed in. We went back and forth constantly on what to use because we didnít want to just paint it and based on an idea from a family member decided to check out Tolex, this fabric is used to wrap amplifiers and the one we chose to use is the elephant skin type (looks like leather) it is water proof, stain resistant and cleans up very easily. It essentially creates a vapor barrier and looks good too. It comes in many many color and texture options and we installed it in the front half of our bus this past week - doing the rest of the bus soon. Not only did it go on beautifully it also covered any holes left over from removing some of the stock equipment that was in the bus - I canít even tell you where holes are at now. So, I thought I would share how we did it and the end result with you - you can see the video here >
Attached Thumbnails
C2599606-ECD1-4B87-AD28-00D1E2D11FC6.jpg  

Old 06-20-2022, 10:48 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Awesome job. I've been looking at foam backed fabric but it's not easy to clean. It also absorbs odors (cooking). I never really liked the look of wood strip ceilings, they're overpowering and remind me of a whiskey barrel. Your ceiling looks great!
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 06:37 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4l
Rated Cap: 8 window w/ lift
I wanted to do something like this, did some testing on my metal ceiling in Phoenix, the heat was too much for the adhesive. Looks great OP.
blubull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 07:10 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by blubull View Post
I wanted to do something like this, did some testing on my metal ceiling in Phoenix, the heat was too much for the adhesive. Looks great OP.
I plan on luan paneling covered in some sort of fabric except for the kitchen. This looks like it might work well
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote