Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: DT466E (?)
Rated Cap: 48
Anchoring to Square Tubing?

I'm about to install a front door and plan to attach door hinges to the bus' square tube frame. I would like to anchor the hinges to the tubing, but am a little lost about what is available that would accommodate a flush mounted hinge. Are expansion anchors necessary or would metal screws be enough? I'm just concerned about screws backing out from vibration. (Eventhough the bus will be parked 95% of the time)

Emilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Some pics would probably help so we know exactly what you're considering doing. You can also click on User CP in the upper left and fill out your details like what bus you have and where you are, which will help us tailor our responses.

Self-tapping screws (Teks makes a few different varieties) are commonly used to anchor stuff to the metal of the bus.
Old 05-10-2021, 06:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
That 5% of the time might make a difference, I dunno. You could try the self tappers and see how they work. Not sure if they'll work with a flush mounted hinge since the head won't be recessed. Blind Bolts, which are basically expansion bolts, are what we used instead of self tappers to mount our solar panel brackets but they're not recessed either. Only a couple bucks each and will have the carrying capacity for a door. If the self tappers "work" but don't hold up to the vibration, then you could try blind bolts using the same holes.
Old 05-10-2021, 09:41 PM   #4
Bus Geek

huck bolts
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 10:37 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Largish Self tappers with locktite. Make sure your threads hit both walls of the square tube.

As far as a flush hinge, I'd imagine the only way to really accomplish that would be to add a strip of material where the hinge isn't.
Cheezewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, expansion anchors, square tube