Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2023, 09:38 AM   #21
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Shower in the Middle, 51"×75"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofred99 View Post
My problem is getting the shower drain and the sink drain to be near each other. I'm also trying to avoid upward wheel travel destroying a drainage pipe.

Most of this is doable, but it requires the shower to be in the middle of the bus and it just seems to be out of place.
--------------------------------
The bathroom doesn't have to be square. We're allowed to push a plumbing fixture out of the box.

original sketch

Our wish-list was a tall order to fill:
  • Activity size shower.
  • Shower head at the peak of the ceiling.
  • Sink within reach of commode.
  • All in one room - sink, shower, commode.
  • Toilet/ bath door not viewable from common areas. (to pee w/door open)

first satisfactory mock up, 36"x51.5" tub opening, note the sketch in the chair.

The top two rafters are at 16" centers, our framing splits the 90" wide space, at about 8" off-center. (so not 45"/45", but 53"/37")

view from back to front,
hall center measures 6'3" below this fur strip

view from front to back

Our wall framing is incomplete but the space has mocked up well.

The roughed-in bath space is 51.5"x75.5" while the remaining side hall is 35" wide.

Wide enough that I'm now adding shelving under the hall windows.

how wide is the exterior lips of this hatch bezel?

Additional build photos & details here:
skoolie.net/demacs-side_hall_framing

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 10:50 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I'd rather be taken out by a flying toilet than one of those kitchen knives on a magnetic block or a cast-iron skillet.

Taken all the way out quick vs lingering a quadriplegic. I get it.

Wonder if a 1/4" diamond plate bulkhead just behind the cab is a worthwhile investment?
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 11:52 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
if using a normal toilet before you hit the road just turn the water supply off and flush the toilet and that gets most (not all) of the water out not enough left in the tank or the bowl to worry about splashing out. plumbing supply houses also sell something that you pour into the toilet after its flushed with water off and it gels the remaining water for if you were pulling the toilet to replace the wax ring or something like that. hook it back up and turn the water back on and flush the gel away.
if i remember correct its called something like liquid lock?
Yeah so I went to Dollywood as a kid and the Magician there sells that same stuff as a magic trick as a gag gift to play on your friends. I don't want to have to dig it all out though when I'm ready to use it again. I do like the idea of just flushing it once with the water off, I didn't even think about that yet. I probably would have once I went to go install it, it likely would of occurred to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtdog View Post
...Also make sure you bolt that sucker down good to the floor, or you may have a 100-lb ceramic missile coming through the front wall of your bathroom in an emergency stop...
And hopefully my kids don't leave a turd in the bowl as well, they sometimes forget to flush... A double whammy
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 06:56 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
I can't really comment on what to do yet as I've not gotten that far and I plan to fully engineer a custom solution and make use of a full sized house flushing toilet.

It is my belief that the throne isn't something you should compromise on. All one would need to do is put a water hose to the toilet so it can re-fill the bowl, and a flush drain to a black water tank with a vent pipe to help flow.

Given these requirements, the technicals of installation will work quite easily.

The challenge then comes with how do you keep the water in the bowl from sloshing and spilling out. And that is also a simple modification.

1.) The toilet bowl lid as well as the top cover can all be used, you just simply have to get some rubber trim and seal the top cover lid, and install 2 clamp locks to apply some additional pressure to lock the top lid down and prevent water from spilling out the seems.

2.) For the lid same thing, rubber gasket trim, and put a clamp style lock on the front of the lid.

Now will this prevent noise and possible sloshing while driving, no. Is it something I can live with, yes because nobody will be in the back while driving the bus, they'll be up front on the couch seats with seatbelts, and won't hear it. I can also add some baffles inside of the upper toilet bowl to help with sloshing. And as long as it doesn't spill out I don't care.

The only negative to this is I might need a larger water tank as I'm using water to flush with, but where I live water is plentiful and practically free, and we'll try to use public bathrooms when we can to save on water. Also using a full flushing toilet, i don't have to worry about fans. If my wife decides to drop a bomb and stinks up the bus, I will have dual large ceiling fans in the back and front of bus to quickly swap out all of the air in the bus. Will only take a couple of seconds to do so.

I think your toilet "issue" is simply solved by a pressure vessel toilet and a water pump that can generate the pressure to fill it.. the bowl is easy as you mention by sealing the lid or maybe even just a soft rubber gasket and a heavier seat lid. the pressurew vessel flushers are sealed so you have no tank slosh and no overflow drain to lose all your water..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote