Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2020, 10:49 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 3126 caterpillar diesel
Any ideas on how to do the bathroom?

Got a bathroom 59 inches long and 39 inches wide. Trying to add the toilet and shower in it but I'm not sure how to build the bathroom. Got a diagram drawn. Was thinking bout making the whole area a metal drain floor with waterproof walls then a curtain to split the shower from toilet but not sure how good it'll work. Have the door open in shower area to enter bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200216_155415466_HDR.jpg   IMG_20200213_140707828.jpg  

Mudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Here’s what I got going on. That’s a dreamline shower pan and a dometic 310 toilet. In this case, that’s a 54”x36 shower pan. I’m going to need a 3” deep shelf on one side just below the window so the wall will land between them.
Attached Thumbnails
EED6C40C-CF66-47DD-B88F-2FCD3CA8FF84.jpg  
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:34 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Why can’t the toilet get wet? If you’re worried about that though you could put a curtain rod behind the toilet and just drape it over the toilet when you take a shower.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:27 AM   #4

Year: 1999
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 3126 caterpillar diesel
Looks good but bit pricy for just a shower pan. Will it always Drain even if your not completely level?
Mudkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 09:47 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudkip View Post
Looks good but bit pricy for just a shower pan. Will it always Drain even if your not completely level?
Nope, if it’s not level it’s a bit of a problem. Hope I’m pointing uphill. Just need a big sponge and a little bucket if that happens.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:59 AM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
Danjo, Are you using a single black/gray tank for both toilet and shower water? I'm having issues working around a wheel well and considering a single tank, rather than having separate tanks.
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofred99 View Post
Danjo, Are you using a single black/gray tank for both toilet and shower water? I'm having issues working around a wheel well and considering a single tank, rather than having separate tanks.
I have 2 tanks. I spent a long time searching and found a 28 gallon tank that would fit horizontally between the cross members right agains the floor. The grey tank hangs longitudinally on the A/C condenser bracket below.

A single tank will work. You want to make sure that all drains except the toilet are protected by a P-trap and you want an 1 1/2” or 2” vent through the roof. There are some drawbacks to keep in mind though.

You never want the P-traps to go dry while sitting or else it’s really going to stink the place up. If you’re on really rough roads with lots of bumps you could end up the a partially dry p-trap and get stink. One way to secure against those possibilities is to get really good stoppers for the drains.

When you’re at a place that has hookups you don’t want to leave it open all the time. The fluids drain off and leave the solids to mound. So in the circumstance you could be hooked up with the drain shut and wait till it’s pretty full before you open the drain.

Get a spin welded jet fitting installed that you can plumb to a hose to give it a good jet cleaning from time to time.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Nope, if it’s not level it’s a bit of a problem. Hope I’m pointing uphill. Just need a big sponge and a little bucket if that happens.
I hope I live long enough to see a self-leveling shower stall.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:05 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I hope I live long enough to see a self-leveling shower stall.
Someone on this board mentioned having a drain Along the door threshold. I see now the smartness in that kind of design, only with a drain at two ends.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9 24v
Rated Cap: 54 passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofred99 View Post
See I'm thinking of using two tanks because of my wheel well. One in front and one in back of it rather than trying to go around it.
JDSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 06:51 PM   #11
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000-8 Window
Engine: Cumm ISB/Allison 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
See I'm thinking of using two tanks because of my wheel well. One in front and one in back of it rather than trying to go around it.

My problem is getting the shower drain and the sink drain to be near each other. I'm also trying to avoid upward wheel travel destroying a drainage pipe.

Most of this is doable, but it requires the shower to be in the middle of the bus and it just seems to be out of place.
jofred99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #12

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Transit
Engine: 8.2 Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 44 + driver
My bathroom is 62x36 with everything you need.

Quote:
Got a bathroom 59 inches long and 39 inches wide. Trying to add the toilet and shower in it but I'm not sure how to build the bathroom. Got a diagram drawn. Was thinking bout making the whole area a metal drain floor with waterproof walls then a curtain to split the shower from toilet but not sure how good it'll work. Have the door open in shower area to enter bathroom.
My bathroom is 62x36 with everything you need. i'll try to put some pictures on this site.
The Fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 04:43 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Check this stuff out
Attached Thumbnails
FE697275-A74E-450C-A9A3-8D7608EC1D45.jpg  
Old 02-26-2020, 06:42 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Check this out! I kind of wish I had waited with the shower pan. Imagine a perimeter drain

Old 02-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #15
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 66 passenger 30K GVRW
One thing to consider that I've read on this forum -- Wet socks. Having a shared toilet/shower wetroom will leave that room often being just... wet. As I understand it -- it gets old when you live with it - wet socks when you just go in for a moment... oh, and toilet paper always/often wet...

I was originally on that same plan but realized it's just not going to work like it can on a boat, with a hull, and a sump pump.

I opted to give up a little bit more room, just to do a standard shower enclosure. It's not really much of a difference, and frankly, I think it's worth the loss.

Dave aka Ghan
Old 12-08-2023, 03:20 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Your idea of a metal drain floor with waterproof walls is practical, especially in a compact space. Using a curtain to separate the shower area is a smart way to maximize space without permanent fixtures. Consider considering a sliding door or a door that opens outward to save space inside the bathroom. Also, think about wall-mounted fixtures to utilize the limited area effectively.

When I faced a similar situation, I invested in a new bathtub to maximize my small bathroom space. I chose the Aquatica Sensuality-Wht™ Freestanding Solid Surface Bathtub from https://www.aquaticabath.co.uk/categ...estanding-tubs, priced at 3395 pounds. It worked perfectly for my area, providing a luxurious feel without overwhelming the room. The sleek design and solid surface material made it a practical yet stylish choice, enhancing my bathroom's overall look and functionality.
frxmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 12:04 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I can't really comment on what to do yet as I've not gotten that far and I plan to fully engineer a custom solution and make use of a full sized house flushing toilet.

It is my belief that the throne isn't something you should compromise on. All one would need to do is put a water hose to the toilet so it can re-fill the bowl, and a flush drain to a black water tank with a vent pipe to help flow.

Given these requirements, the technicals of installation will work quite easily.

The challenge then comes with how do you keep the water in the bowl from sloshing and spilling out. And that is also a simple modification.

1.) The toilet bowl lid as well as the top cover can all be used, you just simply have to get some rubber trim and seal the top cover lid, and install 2 clamp locks to apply some additional pressure to lock the top lid down and prevent water from spilling out the seems.

2.) For the lid same thing, rubber gasket trim, and put a clamp style lock on the front of the lid.

Now will this prevent noise and possible sloshing while driving, no. Is it something I can live with, yes because nobody will be in the back while driving the bus, they'll be up front on the couch seats with seatbelts, and won't hear it. I can also add some baffles inside of the upper toilet bowl to help with sloshing. And as long as it doesn't spill out I don't care.

The only negative to this is I might need a larger water tank as I'm using water to flush with, but where I live water is plentiful and practically free, and we'll try to use public bathrooms when we can to save on water. Also using a full flushing toilet, i don't have to worry about fans. If my wife decides to drop a bomb and stinks up the bus, I will have dual large ceiling fans in the back and front of bus to quickly swap out all of the air in the bus. Will only take a couple of seconds to do so.
nikitis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 02:42 PM   #18
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
if using a normal toilet before you hit the road just turn the water supply off and flush the toilet and that gets most (not all) of the water out not enough left in the tank or the bowl to worry about splashing out. plumbing supply houses also sell something that you pour into the toilet after its flushed with water off and it gels the remaining water for if you were pulling the toilet to replace the wax ring or something like that. hook it back up and turn the water back on and flush the gel away.
if i remember correct its called something like liquid lock?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2023, 03:35 PM   #19
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
...Also make sure you bolt that sucker down good to the floor, or you may have a 100-lb ceramic missile coming through the front wall of your bathroom in an emergency stop...
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 05:15 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtdog View Post
...Also make sure you bolt that sucker down good to the floor, or you may have a 100-lb ceramic missile coming through the front wall of your bathroom in an emergency stop...
All the skoolies I've seen are chock-full of loose missiles already. I'd rather be taken out by a flying toilet than one of those kitchen knives on a magnetic block or a cast-iron skillet.