Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2020, 10:32 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
How are they such terrible instructions?
Plate, sheet.... semantics. Anyone ordering the steel knows what 18ga hot rolled or cold rolled is.
If OP wants to ask about any "instructions" I'm all ears.

Sorry, I forgot for a sec how sensitive you are and how much you like to argue.

To answer your questions... no reply desired.

"How are they such terrible instructions?" They lack any detail. Only people who already knew what they are doing could make a transition from your instructions.

What you said (your instructions) and what I commented on was, in its entirety, all 41 words,

Quote:
I used the thickest plate steel I could work with. In this case it was 18ga.
Carefully using a large piece of poster board I made a template.
Then I cut the steel very carefully until it looked and fit perfectly.
No info on tools used, how to cut the metal, support structure, how to handle or fasten the metal, interior finish. A link to your build thread where you did the transition couldn't of hurt.

Your next post, in its entirety,

" If you start at the sides, you can make it out of 3 pieces and it should come out looking good if you're careful and take your time. Allow for a bit of overlap where the top comes over the sides.
Bending isn't much of an issue just use some light ratchet straps. Tack it all down with a mig."

was much more instructive, seems like you realized that more detail was needed.

"Plate, sheet.... semantics. Anyone ordering the steel knows what 18ga hot rolled or cold rolled is."... Maybe, do you? I'm sure the person taking your order could figure what you wanted as well as the fact that you were... never mind. Semantics? Plate is not sheet and sheet is not plate, no more than thick is thin and thin is thick. Now your changing 18 ga plate to "18ga hot rolled or cold rolled". The more you talk the less sense you make.

"If OP wants to ask about any "instructions" I'm all ears."... What do you think he meant when he asked "Does anyone have any tips or tricks?" Would you pay any more attention if he asked you again?

First sentence you are up set because I didn't care for your "instructions" and then in the third and final sentnce it is as if the op didn't ask for instructions.

How come you didn't whine about the rest of my post? You know the "the transition looks really good." part?

And last but not least I was simply trying to get you to elaborate (give some useful instructions) because, from your pics it looked like you might have done a good job.

kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:15 PM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Sorry, I forgot for a sec how sensitive you are and how much you like to argue.

To answer your questions... no reply desired.

"How are they such terrible instructions?" They lack any detail. Only people who already knew what they are doing could make a transition from your instructions.

What you said (your instructions) and what I commented on was, in its entirety, all 41 words,

No info on tools used, how to cut the metal, support structure, how to handle or fasten the metal, interior finish. A link to your build thread where you did the transition couldn't of hurt.

Your next post, in its entirety,

" If you start at the sides, you can make it out of 3 pieces and it should come out looking good if you're careful and take your time. Allow for a bit of overlap where the top comes over the sides.
Bending isn't much of an issue just use some light ratchet straps. Tack it all down with a mig."

was much more instructive, seems like you realized that more detail was needed.

SNIP...

And last but not least I was simply trying to get you to elaborate (give some useful instructions) because, from your pics it looked like you might have done a good job.
Instead of saying: "your instructions are terrible"
and hoping they'll respond with greater details and a smile...

Perhaps try asking someone: "could you elaborate on how you did that?"

Might get you closer to the desired result...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 03:56 AM   #23
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Instead of saying: "your instructions are terrible"
and hoping they'll respond with greater details and a smile...

Perhaps try asking someone: "could you elaborate on how you did that?"

Might get you closer to the desired result...

I'll make a better effort to avoid expressing opinions in the future (I'm old enough to know by now, that no one cares about my opinions), but, fyi, if I don't ask a question, I don't care about a response. The response/ instructions would have been useful for the person who posted the query. I still think that they were terrible instructions, but, he did not need to know that.

Lurking was a lot easier and less time consuming.
Old 01-19-2020, 06:57 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
I'll make a better effort to avoid expressing opinions in the future (I'm old enough to know by now, that no one cares about my opinions), but, fyi, if I don't ask a question, I don't care about a response. The response/ instructions would have been useful for the person who posted the query. I still think that they were terrible instructions, but, he did not need to know that.

Lurking was a lot easier and less time consuming.
I'm sorry my meager efforts aren't enough to please you.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 02:14 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'm sorry my meager efforts aren't enough to please you.

Sarcasm? well that makes 2 of us.