Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD View Post
I can totally appreciate the fact that you can aim and so can I. But in the middle of the night I don't feel like turning a light on and don't want to go all over the floor or especially on the seat to make my wife angry. My point being, if I can sit at night then why not during the day as well, and not let it become an issue if if costs more in the design phase because someone feels they are to much of a man to sit. After all, you sit to poop so what is the big deal about sitting down?

I thought this thru when building my bathroom(24"x36"). I designed it for me and mine fam (we're all small framed). Went so far as to write an instruction notice for outside the door. Bottom line, if you don't want to sit, piss somewhere else.

Quote:
LOVABLE LOO USE INSTRUCTIONS

Please read these instructions completely.

If you can't comply with these instructions,

go find another bathroom!!!

1. SIT! That's right I said SIT on the toilet! I have no desire to wash your piss off my wood, seat, walls, or floor.
2. If you don't see a roll of toilet paper in the right rear corner, let me know before you close the door.
3. Do your business as usual.
4. When finished, dress, then open the hatch on the right, lift the toilet seat, and use as many scoops as necessary to completely cover whatever you put in the toilet - cover the pee; cover the poo; cover the TP.
5. Return the scoop to the sawdust bin, close both lids, and have a nice day. (the sink is below the microwave)

THE MANAGEMENT

gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 01:59 PM   #42
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmoq View Post
I thought this thru when building my bathroom(24"x36"). I designed it for me and mine fam (we're all small framed). Went so far as to write an instruction notice for outside the door. Bottom line, if you don't want to sit, piss somewhere else.

AWESOME! My bus, my rules kinda thing ....get out, and have fun with the mosquitoes black flies.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
Of course, when all else fails ... Thundermug!
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:43 PM   #44
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: International
Engine: International 392 V-8 gas
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
i had a girlfriend once who insisted that I sit while peeing when at her house I got used to it. dont get me wrong, I really can dig spelling corrupt politicians names in the snow bank but its cold here in the winter so I think I could get used to it. I might go for the separate sparkletts 5 gal separator jug. Fill it with about 2 gal pee, top off with water then go out and water a tree.
I have a wood shop where Im at so plenty of saw dust for the solid waste division. Mix a little peat moss and away you go to composting. I just started building the space leaving it in a way that I can try a couple of options. Id like to start with a couple of rotating buckets and the sparkletts pee jug. maybe a urinal funnel since I live alone it wouldnt bother anyone. My bus is my home and I dont travel much (actually I havent driven this bus in at least 18 years but that is for another day) so completing the compost process is not a problem as we have plenty of soil to mix with it. I may be re locating to the west coast soon enough but the trip shouldnt take more than a week or two so I dont think that there will be a problem.
Eventually I would like to implement an exterior metal vault type tray that is mounted on HD drawer slides but we shall see if I want to go to all the trouble. It just seems to me that being confined to a Blackwater tank sounds like it sucks. my Rig hasnt ran, until recently, in a long time so I never installed a bathroom( the shop does have plumbing by the way). I thought it would be a good thing to have facilities as I plan to start using it more since gas is so cheap. Considering liquefied poo sloshing around underneath some where didnt seem to be a good option. I could use that space to carry more fresh water or just storage boxes etc. I guess well see how it goes.
chardog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:53 PM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Superior
Engine: International 392 V-8 gas
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
I also read somewhere that you should arreate the mixture by stirring it up every so often.seems useful especially if you have a larger system. they made a stir stick out of some heavy wire bent in a few places around the bottom of it. seems you could use a cordless drill to spin the works around. Ill try it and see if it works.
chardog1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:36 PM   #46
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
Use a 5 gallon bucket, custom wood box and regular toilet seat. put a good quality black garbage bag as a liner in the bucket and add a cup full of high quality cat litter or composting material...Use the toilet till the bag is half full of doody and litter, then twist tie the bag and bury it or pitch it like trash in a dumpster...total cost about $40...
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #47
Almost There

Year: 1992
Rated Cap: 35 kids
scoolbus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 05:20 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben berry View Post
I'm wandering if anyone has successfully used a compost toilet in their bus. Pros. vs. cons...? or just a bad idea?..
Sorry, not much of a cad guy but maybe this drawing will work. I have built several of these from sheet metal. It stirs the compost at the push of a button or can be set by timer. Holds a lot greater volume and dumps from under the bus. And I built mine for less than $200 and it works far better than any I have seen at five times the cost. For the urine trap I just toss in a rubber ball that floats to act as a valve and we never had any odor issues from the several I have built. As far as I am concerned its better than a black water system. Pardon the typo in the drawing and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!

buslife4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #49
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E International
Rated Cap: 72
After much research, I decided to go with the Nature's Head. My girlfriend was horrified when it arrived, as all that she can think of when she sees it is that I spent $1000 on a fancy bucket. But it is a REALLY fancy bucket. 12V fan and vent, stirring device with exterior handle, conveniently removable urine tank (yes, sit to pee or rely on really good aim and cleaning supplies for errant streams/sprinklers). We've talked to several people who have them and have used them on long trips, with up to four people using them for a month before the compost bin needs to be emptied.

I have rented RVs several times in the past, and dealing with the blackwater hose process is, simply put, one of the most revolting things I have ever done - and I've had to do some nasty $!%*. There's no way I'd put a blackwater system in my skoolie. Just not going to happen.

I'm happy with spending a grand on a device I know will work if it means I can avoid a blackwater tank.
VeldatheWonderbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:20 AM   #50
Bus Nut

Coachwork: AmTran
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 84
Good choice. I'm going with the exact same unit in my bus. Even the wife is happy with it .
Old 02-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #51
Skoolie

Quote:
I'm trying to find the super sized like button for this reply.
Deezl Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #52
Skoolie

Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: Lifeguard
Engine: 366 Chevy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezl Smoke View Post
Quote:
I'm trying to find the super sized like button for this reply.

hehe

gizmoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:45 PM   #53
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles_m View Post
Dont piss in your greywater tank, that's not what they're for.
urine is sterile. it is safe to put into a grey tank. Just dont be an idiot like some and dump your grey water on the ground...
keiffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #54
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
Well I have been doing so research, so for you manly men that can't or won't sit to pee
Then here you go

Male Urinal | Advantage Urinal Systems

You can run the hose any where your little heart desires..just saying
Old 03-06-2016, 05:45 PM   #55
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I think I'll pass on that urinal system. A surplus 5 gal water jug will fill the bill nicely and won't cost much. Plus, the hole is a big enough target.

Military Water Can
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:05 PM   #56
Skoolie

Rated Cap: 2+1
The water can works also
Old 03-25-2016, 06:27 PM   #57
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 71
Is the cost about the same? I mean The one toile is $1000, ($995.00)

On a not BROKE budget and NOT on a MONEY NOT A PROBLEM budget

After you build in for the black water tank and all the supplies to make everything is the cost Higher / Lower same?

Thank you.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 09:48 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Rated Cap: 72
my toilet was $200.00, tank was about $270.00 , maybe $20.00 for black 3 inch pipe and fittings. just a couple feet of pex pipe to hook up the water supply. I mounted the tank with steel from a bed frame, wasn't hard to install.
gbstewart
Old 03-25-2016, 10:06 PM   #59
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
my toilet was $200.00, tank was about $270.00 , maybe $20.00 for black 3 inch pipe and fittings. just a couple feet of pex pipe to hook up the water supply. I mounted the tank with steel from a bed frame, wasn't hard to install.
gbstewart
Wow. For some reason I was thinking it would be closer to the same price and I'm sure you could if you go high end stuff (seat warmer).
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 11:35 PM   #60
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've seen tanks for $100, porcelain RV toilets for $150.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom