Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Battery post & terminal shut off switch

Hi, one of the battery posts on our battery is a bit bent out of place (as you can see in the photo), is this anything to be concerned about?

Also, bought a terminal shut off switch to be able to turn off the battery so we don't drain it from phantom power on the bus, however it is too large for the battery post, any suggestions for this??

Thanks!

Forest-Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 06:30 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Obviously the picture of the battery post is not showing up however.. (yes, newbie here, tried uploading it from imgur but that didn't seem to work)
Old 04-20-2016, 06:32 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Aha, here it is. (was using the share link instead of the direct link)

Dunno if this should be something to be concerned about?
Old 04-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I am not someone knowledgeable, and I would not trust my opinion. However, since noone else has posted here, I will share my untrustable opinion with you.

If I were in your position here's what I would do.
1. I would check the voltage (with an multimeter) ideally against another battery in a similar state. Assuming it is providing a reasonable voltage (between 11.5-14) that will show that it is able to provide an electrical charge.

2. I would clean the surface this battery and charge it with a tricklecharger. I would possibly pour a light coating of baking soda around the battery terminal beforehand. I would charge the battery "fully" with a trickle charger and monitor the status of the battery as it charges (to see if it leaks any acid). Assuming it does not, I would "equalize" (I could be wrong about this) by unplugging the charger and recharging it. I would do this a few times. If no battery acid spills then I would presume it is okay and I would make sure this is in a somewhat ventilated area (aka not where I will be breathing air).

Once again, don't trust my opinion but perhaps it will give you an idea.

Also here's a picture of a battery.

My guess would be that if it produces consistent voltage it will probably just have a crooked block thing inside, which would make me assume that the upper section is corroded, which would make me assume that it will go bad sooner than later.

In case I didn't make it clear enough, I have very little education in electronics and should not be trusted without a big grain of salt.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 07:39 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Alright, thank you! It is a very new battery, but the compartment it's in makes it hard to pull out with ease and it may have gotten bent out of place from that.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I agree with Taolik, but, don't just charge it in a ventilated space, do it outside in case of catastrophic failure. Batteries have exploded in some situations of a leak and a spark.

I would recommend either getting a lower profile battery, or engineering a way to make that compartment an inch taller.

And wear gloves and safety glasses when handling it. getting blinded by an exploding battery would ruin your day pretty quickly.
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Alright, thank you for the advice.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #8
Bus Nut

One last thing, don't try to bend it back if it isn't leaking, that could actually make it start to.

Good luck!
Old 04-20-2016, 08:59 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Never lift a battery by the cables. That one has a nice handle too.

If you can tip the battery on it's side and no acid comes out it may be ok, after you follow the other recommendations. In a hardup situation I'd put a little silicone caulk under that terminal.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:55 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
If there is any chance that liquid can get into the battery around that post, DO NOT clean with baking soda, or any type of battery cleaner for that matter. If it gets into a cell it will kill it.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:37 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Hey all, thanks so much for your help so far, we're still trying to learn all the ins and outs of owning a bus.

We tipped the battery on it's side and had no leaks, I used a bit of rubber sealant around the terminal just in case. However, today we went to start our bus, and it won't turn over. The engine only gives a rev or two before going dead. When I turn the key all of the dash lights flicker which makes me think its an electrical problem. However, upon testing the battery it read 11.6 V, and we tried jumping it with a friends car to no avail.

We're considering going to buy another battery just to try it out, unless anyone here has some advice for some rookie skooliers.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:20 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest-Bus View Post
Hey all, thanks so much for your help so far, we're still trying to learn all the ins and outs of owning a bus.

We tipped the battery on it's side and had no leaks, I used a bit of rubber sealant around the terminal just in case. However, today we went to start our bus, and it won't turn over. The engine only gives a rev or two before going dead. When I turn the key all of the dash lights flicker which makes me think its an electrical problem. However, upon testing the battery it read 11.6 V, and we tried jumping it with a friends car to no avail.

We're considering going to buy another battery just to try it out, unless anyone here has some advice for some rookie skooliers.
If there's something like a battery warehouse close by I have seen where they can melt a new post on for you.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #13
Bus Nut

12 v systems need 12 v to run properly. Charge the battery and see if it comes up to, say 12.7 v. If it doesn't, then it's the battery. Also while you are in there, clean up any connections, especially the ground. Lots of electrical issues have been solved by cleaning and re attaching a ground.

-Doc
Old 04-22-2016, 12:03 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Right on Doc. I'm a big believer in preventative maintenance, which used to be the PM of my days long before internet.
Any problems with the battery voltage can be an indication that something has been damaged. If you've ever taken a battery apart you know how fragile the plates and connections are.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 12:14 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Check battery voltage. Good battery will show 12.6 volts when fully charged. When connecting a heavy cable, first use about 3 nice flat washers, then the cable and another flat washer and finally a good hex nut. All copper is great. Keep the top of any battery dry and clean with paper towels.
To find any battery leak or phantom leak..... Disconnect negative cable from battery. Connect any 12volt lite or horn or buzzer between battery post and the cable end. If there is a leak, the horn will honk or buss or lite will be on. Always finds leak by slowly disconnect any load until lite stops liting... Frank Idaho
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank-id View Post
To find any battery leak or phantom leak..... Disconnect negative cable from battery. Connect any 12volt lite or horn or buzzer between battery post and the cable end. If there is a leak, the horn will honk or buss or lite will be on. Always finds leak by slowly disconnect any load until lite stops liting... Frank Idaho
I just saw this, but that is a great idea!