Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2019, 01:35 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Engine: 7.3L Navistar T444e Diesel
Beefing up the T444 Engine

Not sure where else to put this....
Anyway, my bus has the T444e engine with the 195 HP I believe it is. It's the higher one than the 175. Was told I can get it tuned and the limiter removed at International. Also told that, being the 195 hp, it can be tuned to like 210 or something without replacing the turbo. Mechanic said it will make a big difference in power, and that the engine is designed for it.

Does anyone know where to look for parts/accessories to tune up this engine? I don't want crazy stuff that'll blow it up, just keep it reliable and get a little more power on the road.

I saw a thread here where someone mentioned a place that does this and sells the parts, but I can't find it again.

Thanks!

Joe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I will be following this. Mine has the 175 hp variant, so if you think yours is slow..?
I've considered christening her,
"The Gutless Wander"
Old 06-29-2019, 06:08 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
My bus was a slow turd when I got it. Totally do the horsepower bump! Cadillackid here on the forum bumped mine up to 210 hp and it made a huge difference. I also straight piped the exhaust system and did a EPBV delete........

Straight pipe.........

Horsepower bump......

EBPV delete........

Thunder..........
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 06:28 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Chris is so awesome! Love that dude!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 07:19 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

He surely is!
A 5 mph improvement may not sound like a whole heaping lot, but when you're on a cross-country trek with a rig doing the canine carpet scrootch, that little bit extra made for worlds of a difference!
Thanx again for the tweak, Christopher. You da man!!! [emoji121]️
Old 06-29-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
Bus Nut

[QUOTE=Johnny Mullet;335249]My bus was a slow turd when I got it. Totally do the horsepower bump! Cadillackid here on the forum bumped mine up to 210 hp and it made a huge difference. I also straight piped the exhaust system and did a EPBV delete........

Man, that's awesome with the videos! Thank you!
I subscribed! My Youtube channel is Commander Zarkon.

Your bus sounds awesome, and looks like even from the takeoff like it has power!

By the way, that name "Johnny Mullet" is just awesome! I'm a writer and filmmaker and man that would be a great name for a character in a post-apocalyptic land! Hey-maybe I can make a film with you as a cameo, driving that bus, with a 50 cal on it!

Anyway...

I was laughing at my video (still to be posted) because as I'm obviously moving forward due to the background, all the cars traveling in the same direction make it look like I'm standing still or going backwards!

Really want to get the engine tuned up! But... I have a LOT to learn, because I know ZILCH about diesel!

I'll focus on getting the bus built as an RV first, and then do the engine stuff. This works great because it'll allow me the time to learn, and gather parts. So I'll be looking at your videos and gathering information.

Sorry if I missed the obvious, but is there a list of what to do-maybe with order of importance-like the parts etc? My bus is just under 200,000 miles.
Is the program to tune the engine available? One of the videos shows the guy using a Mac to do it.

One note on my area of knowledge: video...
If you can get a head mount for your camera, it will help a lot when demonstrating: no one handing it.
A wide angle lens, even a cheapy one, can make it better also.
Also, not sure if its something you're willing to spend on, but the GoPro Hero 7 Black is great for this: easily mounts to a head band, has time lapse, has wide angle, and most of all, has stabilization, which makes the video so smooth!

Anyway, thanks again for the links! Amazingly helpful!
Old 06-29-2019, 02:41 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
My bus was a slow turd when I got it. Totally do the horsepower bump! Cadillackid here on the forum bumped mine up to 210 hp and it made a huge difference. I also straight piped the exhaust system and did a EPBV delete........

On a diesel forum, someone said you can rewire the EPBV to act as an engine break. What do you think of that?

Also, my bus is a 2004 and things seem pretty clean all over.
Do you thing removing the EPBV is something I can do at home?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:

On a diesel forum, someone was saying you can rewire the EPBV to serve as an engine brake. Seems like this would still have obstruction with that valve-even when open.
What do you think?

Also, do you think doing that delete is something that can be done at home? My bus is a 2004 and seems pretty clean all over. 95% of the track/tie down bolts came out very easily.

Is there other things to do along with the delete?

Thanks
Old 06-29-2019, 03:17 PM   #9
Bus Nut

What do you all think of this?

Old 06-29-2019, 05:17 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
On a diesel forum, someone was saying you can rewire the EPBV to serve as an engine brake. Seems like this would still have obstruction with that valve-even when open.
What do you think?
Also, do you think doing that delete is something that can be done at home? My bus is a 2004 and seems pretty clean all over. 95% of the track/tie down bolts came out very easily.
Is there other things to do along with the delete?
Thanks

Johnny Mullet,

Well, I paused your video and came back just now to the part where you don't recommend this as a home project.

+++

I called the mechanic at the local (and I think only) diesel shop, and he said if I remove the EPBV, I will lose engine brake capability, so I'm just thinking of a way to make that a manual thing, with some kind of switch or even a bicycle cable lever contraption. We will be climbing and descending mountains-even to travel out of here, so I don't want to loose safety and transform the bus into an overgrown Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang!!! Mainly because I don't have wings and a propeller installed yet!

I mean, driving the bus from Phoenix it was a game of 20mph (if that) up the mountain, and downshift down the mountain-repeat over and over. A few times it was a 6% or more grade going down, with a left turn and a valley several hundred feet below.

-------I live in a somewhat rural area. While we have a few places to eat, the nearest Outback or Barnes & Noble, for example, is 2.5 hours away. The diesel guy is a good 20-25 mile drive.-------

He also said I am at 210 HP right now and can boost it about 30%. I'm amazed because this thing is so damn slow! I mean, a mild hill seems hard to climb!!!

I explained that I want more power while keeping the engine reliable. I don't want a dragster, but I don't want a slug either.

He's gonna research more, and also give me a quote on doing the engine reprogram etc. on Monday.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:26 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

A shill, who was much wiser than me, once publicly declaimed:
"Don't try this at home, kids!"
My typical entreaty enjoins one to: "Hold my beer. All y'all aint gonna believe this sh1t!!!"
Old 07-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Coachwork: IC/AMTRANS RE
Engine: T444E 7.3 w/ MD3060
Rated Cap: 36000lbs / 78pass / 39'
I wouldn't delete the EBPV, especially in regions that get cold, it helps to get the engine to warm up faster and also keeps you from destroying the engine when it's too cold for boost. The pedestal is annoying to fix but doesn't take alot of brilliance, I've even got a video on rebuilding one on my current F350.

It does make a good brake, but not for autos like the AT545 that doesn't have converter lockup, it will be a good pair with the Allison MD3060 that has a retarded on it as well.
PatrickBaptist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
The EBPV is known to leak oil. Mine actually started leaking so bad I had to fix it immediately. In cold weather areas where the valve is needed, the rust causes the butterfly valve to stick causing more issues. Cold weather requires longer warm up temps. That is all.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:12 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Cold weather requires longer warm up temps. That is all.

You're saying longer time letting the vehicle idle before driving?

Did you install some kind of engine heater or fuel heater?

I have to figure out all the precautions before the cold gets here.

And again, thanks for all the input!
Old 07-29-2019, 12:16 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
You're saying longer time letting the vehicle idle before driving?

Did you install some kind of engine heater or fuel heater?

I have to figure out all the precautions before the cold gets here.

And again, thanks for all the input!
I wouldn't think of trying to survive winter without a block heater, gas or diesel
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:21 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
I wouldn't think of trying to survive winter without a block heater, gas or diesel
Depends on how cold it gets. A F350 7.3PSD I had didn't have problems starting down to -6F without a block heater, just good ol glow plugs.

Block heater on a gasser, how cold does it get where you are -30F?
I haven't ever seen a gasser with a block heater in person, I know some were fitted but I thought those were like unicorns....

I wouldn't want to go without a EBPV though, plus it makes a dandy break and it's helpful to get the tailgaters to back off (rolling coal).
Old 07-29-2019, 12:31 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickBaptist View Post
Depends on how cold it gets. A F350 7.3PSD I had didn't have problems starting down to -6F without a block heater, just good ol glow plugs.

Block heater on a gasser, how cold does it get where you are -30F?
I haven't ever seen a gasser with a block heater in person, I know some were fitted but I thought those were like unicorns....

I wouldn't want to go without a EBPV though, plus it makes a dandy break and it's helpful to get the tailgaters to back off (rolling coal).

it's pretty much the norm for most of Canada to have block heaters on their vehicles - in the colder regions, hotels/motels have standing outlets so clients can plug in - further north, many people leave their vehicles running when shopping at the supermart - the far west coast and southern Ontario are milder, so block heaters aren't so common there
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
it's pretty much the norm for most of Canada to have block heaters on their vehicles - in the colder regions, hotels/motels have standing outlets so clients can plug in - further north, many people leave their vehicles running when shopping at the supermart - the far west coast and southern Ontario are milder, so block heaters are so common there
I live on the eastern side of the US so that makes sense, it usually doesn't get below 0F here.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:39 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Here in the White Mountains Arizona it doesn't get below 0F much, but it does get into the teens. But I do plan on someday driving to Alaska.

As far as the EBPV... wouldn't it be better overall to remove it and add a real engine brake? Combined with a block and fuel heater, it seems like that would provide the same benefits as the EBPV without the oil leaking etc. plus the benefit of a more effective brake.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:01 PM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
my bus came from texas and no EBPV.. I live in ohio... I dont have a block heater but I have great batteries, 8 good glow plugs and plug relay.. I start the bus easily down to minus 10.. I let it idle a couople minutes in which the 444E auto kicks to 900 RPM after the oil pressure raises to above 25 for about 5 seconds.. then you can program CAP into your computer in which after 5 minutes of no pedal activity and in neutral the engine will self idle up to 1400 RPM and then back down as it reaches near 175 degrees f coolant...

literally though I rarely idle it long enough when I start out for CAP to engage.. the 900 for a minute or 2 then I take off... once I see about 100-105 I kick the heater fans on and as I get down the hoghway it warms quickly.. I see no need for the EBPV.. maybe it warms quicker? I dont know but seems like mine warms up pretty good esp if I get on the freeway... takes a little longer in stop N go with all my heaters on..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote