Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
Almost There

Been reading for a year and not one wall up

Guys I wanted to start my project.

1. I did the flooring and its perfect.

I thought to put a back bedroom up and a very small mini kitchen.
I keep stumbling over every other part like walls and toilets.

Was thinking of a queen sized futon bed in the back with a partition and storage under for water tanks.

its hard to drive in the first nail!!!!

Jaybus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:46 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: Been reading for a year and not one wall up

If you notice my thread everything is "temparary"
I don't exactly know what we want.
I know this:
We need a place to sleep,cook,eat,poop and relax
Beds were easy,
A place to chill and eat...easy
Since most places we stay and plan to stay...we will use their facilities....but I always have the porto-potty and another folding crapper.
We also use and have a shower tent and solar water bags.
I put up one wall because we need to control where we sleep for heat and ac...everything or place can be heated or throw on a hoody
We know what are basics are... and did that...we will change stuff as we see fit.
Make your walls their own entity so regardless of floors or walls,you can always remove a fewscrews and move,add or delete them
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

if you worried bout nails go metal studs so you can put the curves in etc and get a roll of foam to put between floor/wall and the studs so they dont squeak etc.

studs shouldnt be much money so you can play with a couple in aspect of trimming to get the right roof radius etc.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Lay out where you plan to put a wall with blue painters tape (preferably the thickness of the wall you intend on building. Do a walk thru or two a few days apart. If it works, put up a wall.

We used hollow core interior doors because we can't build a finished wall as cheap as a luan door. Our "walls" use 28" & 36" doors. The doors are screwed to a wood furring strip that is screwed to the sidewalls. Then toe screwed to the floor & ceiling. They aren't going anywhere.

This is what the interior of the door looks like. We removed part of the door skin and interior honeycomb on each side of the freezer to give the appliance more air space without increasing the actual 30" space.

We have only built one 2X4 wall... that was for the plumbing wall the shower & laundry area shares.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward Volunteer
Chassis: GMC 6000
Engine: 366 V8 (6.0 L)
Rated Cap: 71

Lorna, I dig that door idea!

I want our layout to be as open as possible, and to use the least amount of material as possible. Finding used doors is simple, too. I may steal this idea...
Old 01-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henukaw
Lorna, I dig that door idea!

I want our layout to be as open as possible, and to use the least amount of material as possible. Finding used doors is simple, too. I may steal this idea...
We are buying new doors. A 36" door is $33 and a 28" door is $22. Only thing we have found is we need to pay attention and get the doors that have the finger joint core. That means they are made of solid wood. If the core is smooth with no finger joints, that means they are composite (basically sawdust plus mega hard glue) and the glue crap is a bear to cut.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #7
Skoolie

Another help is mocking stuff up. You can buy full sheets of corrugated cardboard, mock up walls, doors, shower stalls, kitchens, counters etc.
Moving supply companies, cardboard/packing supply companies, corrugated box companies should have it on hand.

Just find the dimensions of appliances etc., cut and tape together. Hot melt glue is also your friend.
LOTS cheaper and easier than cutting out wood no matter how cheap, and the patterns you make of cardboard can be used to cut the permanent parts, get better fits etc.