Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
I didn't know that search engine technique! Thanks

Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 11:01 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I believe you owe me a beer or whatever we were betting. Might be awhile until I can collect tho.
That is a fine looking paint job. I definitely owe you at least a few beers. I could come up with a couple kegs if you come and do that to my bus.

I thought you were going strictly with the minty color. Looks good.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:59 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
That is a fine looking paint job. I definitely owe you at least a few beers. I could come up with a couple kegs if you come and do that to my bus.

I thought you were going strictly with the minty color. Looks good.
Nah, the minty was just to show the two tone. The rest of the bus after the raise will be Rust-Oleum's Almond color. The tricky part will be the roof; leave it white or paint it? If I leave it white (less work), it'll be 3 tones. Will it look stupid? That kind of thing.

Wasn't all that terrible. $50 sprayer from H.D. and a 15 gallon air compressor. Compressor I already had. Took 6 hrs masking it and of course there was no shade and the first 90° day of the year. Paint day was overcast and 72. Only had 3 quarts of paint. Everyone and their brother can order the hammered green for you but it won't be here until a week from next Tues. 3 quarts is a VERY thin paint job. The yellow shows thru. It'll get me thru inspection but you can definitely tell it was yellow. Found a 4th quart Monday and redid the front with some masking changes and rehit the lightest of the light spots. To do it right, I'd say 6 quarts for what I painted. Add in the roof and you're on your own for the math. What I painted was 4x40x2 + 3x8x2 so, ... carry the 1 and divide by Pi... ~400 sqft.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 12:32 PM   #24
Bus Geek

Yeah, yeah. The square root equals the hypotonouse.

It has been interesting keeping up with you through your paint job, and it turned out better looking than I expected.

As for my paint job, it is actually sunny today but predictions for rain into the weekend. So about the time I got this all taped up it would rain again. I'm going to need at least a couple dry days. I still need chemical gloves so I can protect my few remaining brain cells.

So color me impressed. That seriously changed the look of your bus, in a good way.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:52 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Quote:
Yeah, yeah. The square root equals the hypotonouse.

It has been interesting keeping up with you through your paint job, and it turned out better looking than I expected.

As for my paint job, it is actually sunny today but predictions for rain into the weekend. So about the time I got this all taped up it would rain again. I'm going to need at least a couple dry days. I still need chemical gloves so I can protect my few remaining brain cells.

So color me impressed. That seriously changed the look of your bus, in a good way.
Was a bit breezy plus the little bit of overspray I'd say round to 400 sq ft. I think the can said 100~150 coverage per so it worked out to about that.

Do you not have a compressor? The paper instructions said a max of 50 psi but I noticed after I finished that the gun was marked 40 psi. Oh well, I ran it at 50 psi and it seemed to work fine. 4CFM which is what my compressor is rated at. It got a decent workout but didn't run constant. I've never used a roller on a vehicle before but I MUCH prefer the sprayer to the roller. Any reason you're sticking with the roller approach?

Yellow and green go well together. Came out looking better than I thought it would either. I've got some touch-up to do but it'll work for now.

Regular latex glvoes worked for me with the Xylene. About when the rag dried out, the glove was torn. Only went thru 4 or 5 between me and the gf wiping it all down. And they were the cheap gloves that my buddy had on hand at the time.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:21 PM   #26
Bus Geek

I've got lots of rubber gloves, and a good size compressor. I've got both, an airless and a compressed air sprayer. The roller is not for lack of equipment.

I was impressed with the quality of paint jobs people were doing on youtube with rollers and brushes. I would have absolutely no problem with overspray here in the woods. It would likely be faster to spray the bus, but I think I get a different thickness of paint when it's rolled on. I doubt there will be thin spots that anyone can see through.

Today is sunny, but I can't get two days in a row of decent weather. Like you I figure about 6 hours of taping, then slap some paint on the next day. Dry days are still one at a time, maybe once a week. Today is supposed to hit 80*, but the rest of the week is soggy. I also didn't want to leave the masking tape on the bus long enough that it doesn't come off intact while waiting for another decent paint day.

It's still early spring here in the mountains and the weather reflects that. So far our May flowers are only daffodils. The trees are just starting to bud out with leaves. Maybe I'll knock out an endcap to get things started. I can handle that much in a day. Stand by for a partial roller paint job.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
I was impressed with the quality of paint jobs people were doing on youtube with rollers and brushes. I would have absolutely no problem with overspray here in the woods. It would likely be faster to spray the bus, but I think I get a different thickness of paint when it's rolled on. I doubt there will be thin spots that anyone can see through.
I was limited by paint. Two full coats and there woud be nothing showing thru.

Quote:
Today is sunny, but I can't get two days in a row of decent weather. Like you I figure about 6 hours of taping, then slap some paint on the next day.
I had no idea what to expect for masking. We could have done it all in one day if we had our act together. We didn't get started until at least noon thirty. We stopped at BK for breakfast and it was 11:00 already. So much for breakfast. Left there after eating and hit a car wash. Washed the bus. Then a 10 minute drive to where we started masking. Had we gotten up, had a quick breakfast, washed the bus the night before, etc. we would have been done taping by 1 or 2. Spraying only took a couple of hours tops. Double it for two full coats and you're still loking at a stop time of 7 or 8 o'clock clean up included.

Aside from all that, I think spraying is easier. Too many little small areas. Where a roller would be great is the mesh doors.

Tags
bus, coolest, exterior, modification