Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Black Goo Removal

I may have discovered the secret of the goo. You know the black gooey adhesive that is generously used by bluebird to stick the fiber glass in the walls and ceiling. I tried a test spot using some naphtha degreaser and it worked but makes a mess and would be painfully slow. I tried heating with a heat gun, again a gooey mess.

Then I thought "What if it was cold?" Right now it is 3*f outside. Using a small ball peen hammer I lightly tapped on the frozen goo. After a little tapping it breaks off in nice little chunks leaving the paint underneath undamaged and mostly clean. It doesn't seem to be leaving any reverse hail dents or causing damage to the exterior paint either.

When I have time I am going to pick up some dry ice and see if making it really cold might make it easier still. I also want to see if I can get a needle scaler to work at a low enough pressure to not tear up the interior paint.

I know "pictures or it didn't happen". Below is what I removed in about 30 sec of cautious tapping. Scraping with a metal putty knife worked too but it scratched up the paint.

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
20190124_214358.jpg  

TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 06:18 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Ward had a crazy asphalt-based goo. I spent 6 months removing it and the rust underneath.

Good job man!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #3
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Believe it or not, that's a sound deadener. Causes the sheet metal to vibrate less. Kinda like the stuff they put on stainless steel sinks. Along with various other things, I'm actually thinking of doing spray on bed liner when the walls are stripped. When I get a bus that is. The quieter the better.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Believe it or not, that's a sound deadener. Causes the sheet metal to vibrate less. Kinda like the stuff they put on stainless steel sinks. Along with various other things, I'm actually thinking of doing spray on bed liner when the walls are stripped. When I get a bus that is. The quieter the better.
It also does a great job of collecting condensation between it and the metal over time. At least on old Wards.
Old 01-25-2019, 09:02 AM   #5
Bus Nut

My concern is that spray foam won't stick to the goo very well or it might eventually separate from the metal. Also as ECCB mentioned rust might be hidden underneath or leave the potential to rust. I think the 2.5" to 3" of spray foam I plan on adding should take care of the sound deadening.

Ted
Old 01-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Different "goo" seems to have been used over the years. My '46 had a layer of asphalteum on the floor and it was almost perfectly rust free.

Also a royal beotch to get off for painting!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 09:11 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Different "goo" seems to have been used over the years. My '46 had a layer of asphalteum on the floor and it was almost perfectly rust free.

Also a royal beotch to get off for painting!
I think it would work better on floors than ceilings!
Man that's some nasty stuff to remove.
Old 02-17-2019, 09:40 PM   #8
Bus Nut

I got back to goo removal today. Unfortunately (not really) I was on a ski trip a couple weeks ago and missed the night time lows of -22*F at home.

I picked up some dry ice blocks and denatured alcohol. First I sprayed the wall with alcohol and then used magnets to hold the blocks on the wall.The alcohol helps conduct the heat from the wall to the dry ice more quickly and lubricates the scraper. I used 2 blocks so each area had twice the time to cool as it took to scrape an area. I was able to get most of the goo off the panels below the windows in a few hours. It took a total of 20lbs
of dry ice ($24) and about a half gallon of alcohol ($5)

I scraped as far down into the pocket behind the chair rail as I could reach. I'll either come back to the pockets with a longer scraper or hit it with naphtha. When I get a warm day and all the alcohol is evaporated/ventilated I'll clean up the scrapings with a shop vac. I'll finish up by wiping the goo residue with some naptha.

Here is a video of how well it works. Its faster when you can use your other hand to press the scraper toward the wall instead of holding a phone to video.

https://youtu.be/vDCDf60qr4s

Next up will be the ceiling. I'm going to pick up some stronger magents that have threaded rod so I can drill holes in my dry ice blocks and attach them to the magnets with fender washers and wing nuts.

Ted
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Rated Cap: 72
WHAT FER? THATS PUT ON TO HELP WITH SOUND DEADENING ISNT IT I MAY BE WRONG?
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:37 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Vision
Engine: C7 caterpillar Allison automatic heavy foot
Here in maine we use roofing tar and spray over it with acrylic enamel best rust proofing you can get if its stays soft and pliable
Smokey's pipe dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:39 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey's pipe dream View Post
It can trap moisture between it and the metal. Seen it myself.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:28 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
BB painted the sheeting where they put the goo. I havn't found much rust there. I am finding rust under the goo on the welds between the ribs and horizontal members.

Ted
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey's pipe dream View Post
My concern is rust hidden under it. I plan on painting the interior when I get it cleaned up. Also I plan on spray foaming and don't want to risk it not sticking to the goo or the goo separating from the metal with the extra weight of the foam.

Ted
Old 02-18-2019, 11:24 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
BB painted the sheeting where they put the goo. I havn't found much rust there. I am finding rust under the goo on the welds between the ribs and horizontal members.

Ted
Ward didn't paint so I had a TON of work getting the tar off, dealing with all the rust, then painting.
And man- THE ugliest welds I've seen were the factory ones on that bus!
Old 02-18-2019, 04:36 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post

Yes it can and does!! Very glad I removed it on mine. By the way, by far the easiest and neatest to clean up afterward is stripping it off using an oscillating multi-tool with a scraper blade. Slices off like a dream.

I bought this one and it was worth every penny!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/Variab...ool-63113.html
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Yes it can and does!! Very glad I removed it on mine. By the way, by far the easiest and neatest to clean up afterward is stripping it off using an oscillating multi-tool with a scraper blade. Slices off like a dream.

I bought this one and it was worth every penny!!

https://www.harborfreight.com/Variab...ool-63113.html
Good idea. My buddy has one I could borrow and try.

Ted
Old 08-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #17
Bus Nut

WD40 is your friend.

I tried an oscillating tool and it would only work if it is over 100 *f in the bus or if you soften it with a heat gun.

I tried several thinner/degreasers; naphtha, acetone, carbosol and xylene. They would dissolve the surface but would evaporate or wipe off without removing enough goo to be useful.

I tried some WD40 and it actually dissolves and softens the goo. On areas I have already scraped it melts the goo so it can be wiped off to clean metal. On the thicker spots which can be up to 1/4 inch it seems to be soaking in and softening the goo down to the metal. I've made 2 applications and will make at least one more. After applying and sitting over night the bare metal will still have a film of WD40. The surface of the goo is sticky in the thin spots and almost dry in the thicker spots.

Ted
Old 09-26-2019, 10:28 PM   #18
Bus Nut

I finished scraping most of the goo today. The WD40 did soften the goo but it still had to be hot out to make much progress scraping. If the bus was in the sun on a 90*F+ day then the ceiling would get to around 140*f. At this temperature scraping was pretty easy. Problem was this year we didn't have very many 90*F days. A heat gun does work but it seems like it takes forever to heat a large enough area to accomplish much.

After trying both heating and freezing the goo. I much prefer scraping it off while cold. It comes off much better and will require less clean up with solvent. The only challenge is getting it very cold. This could only really be done in the winter on a very cold day.

Next up is clean up with solvent.

Ted
Old 09-29-2019, 11:50 AM   #19
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
I am getting the Idea that you have something different than what I am looking at. The coverage on mine is very sparse. It looks more like overspray than a proper coat. I had assumed that it was put there to hold the insulation in place while they installed the ceiling metal.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:54 AM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
I am getting the Idea that you have something different than what I am looking at. The coverage on mine is very sparse. It looks more like overspray than a proper coat. I had assumed that it was put there to hold the insulation in place while they installed the ceiling metal.
I wish mine was a light coat. Spray adheasive would have been much nicer to deal with. I filled almost 1-1/2, 5 gallon buckets when I was scraping.

Ted