Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #1

Brake Line leak

Hey Guys,

Anyone have any idea how to fix a hole in the brake line closer to the back passenger wheel of a chevy short bus? Thanks alot!

BusDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Brake line leak repair

Depending on the location of the leak, most parts stores have and sell a fitting named a coupling. Usually the leak is merely a small hole and can be repaired with a coupling. The fittings are normally made of brass but are acceptable for repair. If the leak is a long crack, then it is a good decision to replace either the complete line or a piece of the line with a new line and a coupling. It will be necessary to identify the brake line size to buy parts. Bleeding the brakes after repair is very easy. Fill the master cylinder with brake fluid. have a helper pump the brakes and observe the liquid level in master cylinder. Also look for any air bubbles. Continue to add fluid. Pedal may not become firm, and bleeding the system will be required. Select a wrench the fits the bleeder valve at the wheel. Have helper push down on brake pedal. Slowly loosen the bleeder a very small amount. Observe any air bubbles. Close valve snugly. Tell helper to again pump brake pedal in long slow strokes. Have helper hold pedal down. Again release the bleeded valve looking for any air bubbles. Repeat this action until all air is exhausted from system. Some times it is required to adjust all the brakes to get a nice full pedal. If the leak was caused because of rust, the lines should be replaced. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
One thing I learned about bleeding brakes when I was 16 and teaching myself is that you need to start at the one farthest from the master cylinder. This means the right rear on most vehicles, then the left rear, then the right front, then the left front. I takes a painfully long time to do the job otherwise. <insert embarrassed smiley here>
Old 03-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #4

Thanks alot guys... I figured I'd have to replace the whole thing.. Just wondering if there were any tidbits that may make it easier
Old 03-27-2007, 10:17 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
brake line

I am with james, just replace it. You will find that when you dig it out there are other spots ready to open up. Brake line is cheap, what's your life worth? sportyrick
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:52 PM   #6

so I replaced the line, now I'm finding it damn near impossible to get to the bleeder valve on the back passenger side drum. Its directly beside the leaf spring. any ideas?
Old 03-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve
Show us a picture of the situation?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:15 PM   #8

I pulled the tires off, but it doesn't leave me much more room. its on the top of the drum, on the back.. but like not even 2 inches from the leaf spring. I'll try to take some pics
Old 03-28-2007, 08:15 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Buy a set of ratchet wrenches. If you can bust it loose with a box end wrench, the ratchet wrench will make the rest of your life much easier. If you ever change the battery on an early model Saturn you'll learn to appreciate those beauties. Of course I could be all wrong about the space issue. Pictures please.
Old 03-30-2007, 08:16 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_experience03
Buy a set of ratchet wrenches.
they're also handy for reaching the bolts connect the bellhousing of the transmission to the chevy 350 motor in a 1990 truck! I just bought me a set the other day for that particular project!
Old 08-18-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1966
Coachwork: supierior
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: Chevy 454
Rated Cap: 10
Re: Brake Line leak

first of do not use feral couplings to patch brake lines, this is actually illigal. the amount of preasure in a power brake system can exceed 1000-3000 psi at the cylinders and those feral couplings can come off. if you do a coupling you must use flares and proper fittings. second the farthest wheel from the master cylinder isnt always the right rear, mine its the left rear that has the longest distanst from the master cylinders. Third if you are having trouble getting a wrench on it try a rachet and socket, you dont have to make bleeders that tight to keep them from leaking you make them tight to keeep them from comeing loose. so you dont have to crank down on them inbetween pumpings. And if a rachet dosnt work take a reagular wreanch or an extra long one and heat it up with a tourch and bend it cut it to do what you want then hang it on the wall and watch people look in amesment at this wierd wrench you have
junkyardkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 07:42 PM   #12
Bus Geek

Re: Brake Line leak

Holy old thread, Batman! And I'm with you on the left rear being the furthest away (at least on my beloved Toyota), but that is not normally the case.