Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2019, 06:59 AM   #1

Year: 2006
Thumbs up Bus seat roof deck?

Has anyone ever seen or heard of using bus seat frames as a base for a roof deck?
I am thinking cutting off the back rest and cantilevering decking over the frames.

Anyone have any ideas why this is a good or bad idea?
Anyone have any other interesting ideas on roof decks?
I am trying to imagine some on the cheap possibilities

Pileatedtothepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 02:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
Most roof decks probably don’t get used enough to be worth it in the long run. Maybe I’m getting lazy. But I do dream of one I can get into easily from the inside and has a pop up tent on it. I’d sleep up there. I’m having knee troubles so it needs to be easy.
On a previous short bus I cut the backrest part of the seat frame and used the lower seat frame as a support for my bed frame. It worked for that but was a bit low to store much underneath.
Maybe, but a roof deck using the lower portion of seat frame is a stretch in my opinion. The frames weren’t designed for that. Too bad as there’s lots of steel in the seat frames.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

I have fantasized about this, or something similar. I'd like to make a topside luggage rack out of recycled seat parts. They have lots of pieces with the same radius curve to them, and I'd like to glue something together that would look like it came on a 60's Land Rover in the movie "Hatari!"

You know, like this:
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 01:20 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Its a neat idea, but Idon't think the material is practical. It might be fine for a seat leg, but I'd imagine its hard to screw into the round/oval stock, its not all that large, and with thin walls, I'd be afraid that the screws would act like perforations, doing more to cut then secure. Plus the longest piece is only 3 feet or so.

It might work for the edges, like on that land rover, but I wouldn't use it for anything structural on a roof deck.
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 10:53 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
[QUOTE=dan-fox;317479]I have fantasized about this, or something similar. I'd like to make a topside luggage rack out of recycled seat parts. They have lots of pieces with the same radius curve to them, and I'd like to glue something together that would look like it came on a 60's Land Rover in the movie "Hatari!"

Great idea! I like that...maybe I won't throw our seats out. I've been contemplating it for a few months now. They are taking up the back quarter of my shed.

Tags
bus seats, cheap, ideas, roof deck