Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2021, 09:15 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Changing the starter in a Crown school bus conversion.

For the archives and to be accessible for anyone who needs this info in the future, I'm sharing a video of a starter swap in a former school bus with a Detroit 6-71 engine (accessed through the floor hatch panel).

The video sucks...I know that. This was the first video footage I shot last winter and I made lots of filming mistakes, but I was recently asked about it and figured it was worth editing and posting...warts and all. The info, though, might help anyone else with a Crown skoolie.

https://youtu.be/iFVPtWcLcGM

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:15 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
That was super fun to watch, thanks! I learned some things about my engine by watching this, even though the 6-71 turbo layout is a bit different. I remember hearing about this rescue op. You're a good dude, RVT.

Oh, and I disagree about the video quality. Everything was easy to hear, easy to see, and easy to understand. I won't stop you from making even higher quality videos, but IMO this one was pretty dang good!

Thank you for sharing!

Edit: Wait, it was a DIFFERENT bus rescue that I remember hearing about. Jeez, man, you're like the patron saint of broke-down buses!
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 03:36 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I have not seen the video yet but I appreciate such things for the Crowns. I will have to gather together my pictures from the engine swap on my "new Crown" and put together a posting about it. In my case a Cummins big cam III 300 with variable valve timing was replaced with a Cummins big Cam I 400. In my swap we re-used all of the external parts from the 300 (the oil cooler from the 300 was used with a new heat exchange element inside. The big cam I has the jake brake and that was retained. I never had to do any major engine work to the "old Crown", just hoses during the Christmas holiday in Idaho (not fun).
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote