Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Colorado RV Emissions, Taxes, and Insurance

Well, this is confusing.

We are about to buy a bus out of state and move it here, we live in Colorado, and will be temporary moving to Oregon in September.

The bus will be our home for at least one year. I've been reviewing websites and trying to get my ducks in a row, however as many of you know, this **** is complicated. So naturally I've come to you all for assistance.

1) Who's had luck insuring a bus in Colorado? With which company and how much? I've called a company that came up in search but after sitting on the phone for half and hour while the woman on the other line did her own research, she asked to call me back later. Will it make a difference that my husband has experience driving this kind of vehicle, has a class B, and drives a flatbed for a construction company.

2) I've read that in colorado an RV is taxed on a few factors, one being original MSRP. How do I find the original MSRP for a 1992 Ward Senator? Then there is a tax on the weight, and some safety tax. Is this correct? Man-o-man, taxes could end up being more than the current value of the bus.

3) Who's gone through emissions testing with a bus or RV in colorado? What kind of mechanical problems or inherent nature of this may cause it to fail an emissions test?

4) Is there a better county to register in. I could do it in Denver or Jefferson county.

I appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks!

georgia.arlyne.brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Team

In Boulder, sales taxes are based on purchase price. Registration is based on empty weight, not GVWR. And emissions ($75, needed yearly) are exhaust opacity only — how much black smoke it blows under load.

I went into the county clerk's office and ran some numbers. The lady there figured we'd probably get away for under $200.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarweasel View Post
In Boulder, sales taxes are based on purchase price. Registration is based on empty weight, not GVWR. And emissions ($75, needed yearly) are exhaust opacity only — how much black smoke it blows under load.

I went into the county clerk's office and ran some numbers. The lady there figured we'd probably get away for under $200.
Thanks! That's better news than I found.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia.arlyne.brown View Post
Thanks! That's better news than I found.
You're welcome. It's worth the time to go into the office and ask in person. At least here, they're always willing to take lots of time to answer my weird questions.
Polarweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:28 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Hey post some pics! I have a 92 Senator as well!
Did you buy the already "converted" primered one off CL? If you're looking at that one, it almost surely has some rust hidden.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Hey post some pics! I have a 92 Senator as well!
Did you buy the already "converted" primered one off CL? If you're looking at that one, it almost surely has some rust hidden.
It's on CL but not primered. Tan/white, in Iowa. We just had it inspected.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #7
Bus Geek

The factory roof hatches on Senators ALL leak and can cause quite a bit of rust inside the ceiling. Just a word of caution. See my thread for the pics of what it looks like inside there.
Otherwise I LOVE my Senator. Its a solid old bus.

But I've seen a couple of them "fully converted" but still sporting the original hatches and built on top of the factory interior panels. One guy was asking upwards of ten grand for baasically a primered, leaky, half assed "conversion" on a 92 Senator.

They're fairly "rare" buses, fwiw, but not worth any more than any other old bus. I like mine a lot more than the Thomas I used to have.
Just DOUBLE check anything from Iowa for RUST!!!! TRIPLE check it!!!!!!!!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #8
Bus Geek

I looked at that ad, its a nice lookin bus, but man that's pricey.
Still has the HORRIBLE factory ward windows, which are pretty leaky and chintzy, and all the appliances are just pilfered rv spec stuff. One ac may not be enough but I do like the 3 roof vents.
It still has the factory "insulation" which I assure you is not worth having at all. Hell, if this price is getting attention I can't wait to see what my Ward will be "worth" when I'm done building it!!! I'll be upgrading ALL the windows, I've actually stripped it down and am conquering the little rust I had. With no insulation and one ac unit, that CL bus may get pretty hot and it will definitely be getting chilly in the cold months. I'd say that bus is a lot of style and little substance.

I've driven my Senator in the "mountains" out here in the east in TN and north Ga, and I'd not want to take it through the rockies.
If I were you, I'd be lookin for a Colorado area bus built and spec'd more for the REAL mountains out there.
Just my 2cents on bus selection. I bought mine to head out to Co then on to Or, but I don't see it making it across the Rockies too well, if at all.
I'd want a manual trans and maybe some sort of retarder or jake.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 66
I think most the used buses sold locally in CO are crazy over priced. I browsed by a 90's RE that was $8000!

As for as the insurance I'm with progressive commercial and it's about $60/mo. Gmac will supposedly insure it AFTER the conversion has been "professionally" completed.

If you plan on titling your bus as an RV then you will need to get it weighed on a certified scale (Sante fe sand and gravel), an e test (be sure to call and make sure they do heavy duty), and a pic of the inside and outside, and your insurance. To be honest though I don't know what diff it makes to title as an RV or leave it as a bus, if anyone could chime in that'd be appreciated.

Oh, and with registration cost: I always assume if I'm buying something cash, you can plan on registration costing roughly 10 percent of what you paid (or at least what you said you paid)
Destroymix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroymix View Post
To be honest though I don't know what diff it makes to title as an RV or leave it as a bus, if anyone could chime in that'd be appreciated.
Retitling it as an RV means no CDL required or requirements.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:00 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroymix View Post
I think most the used buses sold locally in CO are crazy over priced. I browsed by a 90's RE that was $8000!

As for as the insurance I'm with progressive commercial and it's about $60/mo. Gmac will supposedly insure it AFTER the conversion has been "professionally" completed.

If you plan on titling your bus as an RV then you will need to get it weighed on a certified scale (Sante fe sand and gravel), an e test (be sure to call and make sure they do heavy duty), and a pic of the inside and outside, and your insurance. To be honest though I don't know what diff it makes to title as an RV or leave it as a bus, if anyone could chime in that'd be appreciated.
The "overpriced" part is relative...
An "underpriced" eastern bus was never intended to cross the GREAT Rockies.
I'd rather buy the right bus and not kill a cheaper, lesser bus.

On another note- this is very likely what it looks like under that "converted" bus' interior panels-

Beginning of the rust-oration-
Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Here is my trip down Monteagle, Tn in the 92 Senator. It did ok but this is "only" a 6% grade for about 5 miles. I had to stop at the top before this video and let it cool down from the 5 mile climb up.
You couldn't pay me to drive this across or even into the Rockies.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:05 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
An "underpriced" eastern bus was never intended to cross the GREAT Rockies.
That's why you head south and go around them

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the input. We are aware of the possible faults. Plan to negotiate a better price and time is not on our side. BTW there are highways through the mountains in several places and buses drive them every day, school, charter or otherwise.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Thanks for the input. We are aware of the possible faults. Plan to negotiate a better price and time is not on our side. BTW there are highways through the mountains in several places and buses drive them every day, school, charter or otherwise.
Well at least you were warned.
and again- those buses in CO ALL have auxillary braking systems and much less rust. Take care and best of luck to yall.
Looking forward to entertaining offers on this one I'm building! Should be worth an easy 20 grand!

Here are some more reasonably priced listings if anyones interested-https://for-sale.yakaz.com/converted-school-bus
Old 06-11-2015, 08:39 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Well at least you were warned.
and again- those buses in CO ALL have auxillary braking systems and much less rust. Take care and best of luck to yall.
Looking forward to entertaining offers on this one I'm building! Should be worth an easy 20 grand!

Here are some more reasonably priced listings if anyones interested-https://for-sale.yakaz.com/converted-school-bus
I'm confused. Are you trying to be rude? I asked questions about Colorado taxes, and such and your posts only seem like you are trying to cause anxiety. Where was this handy list of buses for sale when I posted asking for help finding them?

I've been researching and looking for months and so far, with ALL of the factors in play, it's a better choice for us. It may be over priced in your mind but to us the price is negotiable, is closer to us and relatively easy to get to. The mechanical checks out almost perfectly, which is MUCH better than some I've already encountered.

The first one on you listed, doesn't have a bathroom if I remember my notes correctly, and the listing is expired. Second one, no bathroom. Third one, deleted by author. The fourth would need extensive work.

I can understand if your trying to help but a little more polish on the delivery would have been better and my day wouldn't have started out so rough.
Old 06-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
I done it a bunch of times in Colorado. The e test is going to be between 75 and 100. You will also need a vin verification if it has an out of state title. If it is not yet titled as a motorhome, you will need to make sure it meets the criteria for qualifing as a motorhome ( bed, sink, etc) then sign an statement of fact on it and possibly have it inspected, to makae sure it really isnt a school bus anymore. My average yearly registration is about 180 on an old bus. Insurance through gmac. Good luck with your bus! Come visit me at my bus yard!
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
charles_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if you can pick which county you register it in.....neither... get outside of the front range counties and emissions..... that's only required in 7 counties in Colorado.

heed the warnings on jake brakes, retarders or what have you. i have driven my bluebird up and down i-70 and it is scarier than anything i have ever done.

the at454 transmission that is so common on these buses does not lock up like a normal transmission. you freewheel down the mountain and its a white knuckle death ride the first time you try it.

the stress put on the transmission while coming down the mountain make all kinds of noises you never want to hear, the first time i did it, i thought i'd be buying a new tranny.

getting up the hill is painfully slow, coming down the hill is wildly out of control. neither is fun.

my bus plates run ~$150/ year
my liability ins ~$40/ year

i just put a comprehensive policy on the bus and thats about $1200/ year
Old 06-11-2015, 12:53 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm confused. Are you trying to be rude? I asked questions about Colorado taxes, and such and your posts only seem like you are trying to cause anxiety. Where was this handy list of buses for sale when I posted asking for help finding them?

I've been researching and looking for months and so far, with ALL of the factors in play, it's a better choice for us. It may be over priced in your mind but to us the price is negotiable, is closer to us and relatively easy to get to. The mechanical checks out almost perfectly, which is MUCH better than some I've already encountered.

The first one on you listed, doesn't have a bathroom if I remember my notes correctly, and the listing is expired. Second one, no bathroom. Third one, deleted by author. The fourth would need extensive work.

I can understand if your trying to help but a little more polish on the delivery would have been better and my day wouldn't have started out so rough.
Hey I'm trying to talk to you about reality if you think that's rude then I make no apology. I made no effort to be rude, nor will I. The "handy list" was like the first google result of "bus conversions for sale". Does talking about the realities of owning a bus and driving in the western mountains really cause anxiety? We talk about stuff like this a lot on this site. Did you not catch the part about me driving the exact same model bus? How is sharing my experiences so rude and axiety-causing? Grow some thicker skin, this is the internet. I was genuinely trying to offer help.
I'll leave you to your thread...
Was just trying to give you OPINION since I have the SAME EXACT bus and have seen its innards. If merely discussing bus realities makes your morning start so rough, maybe you should reconsider owning one... Thats when the REAL "fun" begins... It gets very REAL very quickly. Especially in the mountains. Ask me how I know, or don't care... No worries. Have a nice bus life whatever you pay your dollars for. I know Colorado certainly is a beautiful state.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Okay. Thank you for your input EasrCoastCD. We have considered the points you speak of and have accepted the risks. Sometimes you have to jump in knowing and hope for the best. We are completely transforming our lives and the bus is a key element. A suggestion from me would be to analyze how you present the information. Communicating via the Internet removes context and choice of words directly impacts how information is perceived. Your experience is valuable, but if you turn people off with presentation, it will never be heard.