Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 07:39 AM   #1

Concentrated Phosphoric Acid vs Commercial products

I am almost to the point with our bus that I need to get the elbow grease into it. Lost of time with a wire wheel is in my near future. I need to order converter. I plan on spraying it on (perhaps with a garden sprayer). The floor is one thing, but I plan on doing the undercarriage also. Its pretty bad. I'm about to order my converter online and I'm trying to get the most out of my money. I've read that diluted phosphoric acid should be the same as the commercially available rust converters out there. I can get a gallon of 85% phosphoric acid for about 40 bucks. If I dilute it to about 20% I should get about 4 gallons from that. It seems the most economical option. I realize oshpo is more of a gel and thus goes on a little differently, but again.. the price.

Cptcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:06 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: Cummins 5.9l 24 valve
Rated Cap: 78
the ospho i have is very thin like water and would be sprayable but i would not want to spray it. that stuff is pretty caustic. or at least don't wear anything that is absorbent and would allow it to stay in contact with your skin for any length of time. and definately don't breath it or let it get to your eyes.
Samweld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samweld View Post
the ospho i have is very thin like water and would be sprayable but i would not want to spray it. that stuff is pretty caustic. or at least don't wear anything that is absorbent and would allow it to stay in contact with your skin for any length of time. and definately don't breath it or let it get to your eyes.
I thought ospho was a gel. I'm ordering a 3m respirator and cartridges with my acid. I've got protective goggles already.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:53 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptcave View Post
I thought ospho was a gel. I'm ordering a 3m respirator and cartridges with my acid. I've got protective goggles already.
I do alot of sandblasting with a wet system called the "farrow" wetblaster.
Wet meaning I fill the pot with water and media resulting in so no sand dust cloud while blasting.

I spray OSPHO on everything that I blast that is steel primarily to prevent flash rusting.

On heavy scaly steel, scrape away as much as possible by hand with a scraper and a hammer. Clean and then spray on the OSPHO with a pump sprayer but first make real sure you know which way the wind is blowing so you don't spray it onto yourself!

Once it dries go back under the bus and look for more scaling, rinse and repeat, scrape away anymore scaling!

You might have to do this 3 or 4 times to get it down to a minimal rust as possible.

If after all that spraying the OSPHO turns into a white crystal powder on the steel, no worries either power wash it off or use a stiff brush and remove what you can.

Don't worry about that fresh coat of water from the pressure washer as the OSPHO has already neutralized the rusting process and once the water dries you will be spraying OSPHO on more time anyways.

Once your done make sure you seal the steel with a quality direct to metal epoxy primer.
OSPHO also will "etch" the metal so any paint you apply will adhere much better.
A cheap harbor freight airless paint sprayer works great for this!

Rustoleum rusty metal primer works good to but you will also want to seal that with a decent epoxy paint. the "epoxy" will help prevent moisture from getting to the metal. Regular paint is pourous and epoxy is not.

I would wear good PPE equipment, 3m white paper suit, respirator, goggles and yes, a face shield too!

When I blast I wear a blast suit, blast helmet that is fresh air feed.
If your gonna play, play safe!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 02:07 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
The (pink) gel stuff is naval jelly. It's basically napalm with phosphoric acid instead of gasoline. I don't like it because it takes so much extra effort to wash the gel gunk off afterwards.

I think the easiest and most effective way to apply ospho to badly rusted metal is with a brush. You have to spray too much to soak pitted rust, whereas a big brush soaks it in quickly with one pass. Also too much ospho spraying around in the air with a sprayer.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:23 PM   #6

I do appreciate all of the responses. My question though is, is there much difference between ospho and phosphoric acid? That's the active ingredient in all rust converters. Even the descriptive on the acid claims to stop rust. So why pay 50 for one gallon of ospho when I can get 4-5 gallons for less?
Old 02-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Quote:
I do appreciate all of the responses. My question though is, is there much difference between ospho and phosphoric acid? That's the active ingredient in all rust converters. Even the descriptive on the acid claims to stop rust. So why pay 50 for one gallon of ospho when I can get 4-5 gallons for less?
Not all rust converters use phosphoric acid (Rust-oleum Rust Reformer uses tannic acid, for example; oxalic acid is another one) and they usually have other glop in them like stabilizers, surfactants and sometimes polymers that form a coating with the converted rust (Ospho doesn't have the polymers). Is the extra goop in Ospho worth it? Having only used Ospho I can't say, but it only costs me $30 a gallon so it's not a huge expense, and I imagine that if just straight phosphoric acid worked particularly well then that would be the stuff recommended all the time and not Ospho.
Old 02-08-2021, 09:12 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Quote:
You ask a really good question!

Why not call your supplier and ask them what, if any, is the difference in liquids?

I would ask the for a MSDS on their stuff and compare it with OSPO's MSDS.

Let us know please!
Old 02-08-2021, 10:17 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT408 6.7L L6
Rated Cap: 14
Here's an objective study done be professionals.

https://www.ncptt.nps.gov/wp-content...l-paper-88.pdf
Old 02-08-2021, 10:28 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdalfaro View Post

Very interesting, thanks for posting this. I've been all-Ospho (and naval jelly) up until this point, but I have a gallon of the Rust Reformer and I'm going to give it a go on the underside of my bus.
Old 02-08-2021, 11:02 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Very interesting, thanks for posting this. I've been all-Ospho (and naval jelly) up until this point, but I have a gallon of the Rust Reformer and I'm going to give it a go on the underside of my bus.
Rust Reformer is amazing stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdalfaro View Post

That report was a really great find, great info!