Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2017, 05:54 PM   #1
Skoolie

Curved upper cabinets

How does someone figure how to make this cabinet? YouTube video? Any links in mind? I don't even know what the process is called to look it up but I gotta have this in my new skoolie.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
That is one look for upper cabinets and I haven't really seen any variations of that I can recall.

I wanted that also so after looking at it forever it seemed, I just built them.
No doors yet but up.

You can do it.

John
Old 08-27-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Skoolie

I know I can but I just am sitting here daydreaming until then and as soon as absolutely any question pops up I ask and some really smart person has the answer.Now I have a little more sympathy for what my Dad and ex-husband dealt with.

Old 08-27-2017, 06:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Actually, those cabinets (as fancy as they look) are in all probability fairly easy to build. You basically have 3 main pieces to build. The fronts and bottoms are the easiest, basically sheets of wood cut to size. If using a table saw, you can cut the edges to whatever angle matches the roof, but a straight cut will work too.

The most challenging pieces will be the ends. Simply use some scrap cardboard and a sharp knife to cut out a pattern that matches the roof contour. Trace this on your wood, carefully cut with a saber saw (or whatever similar tool you prefer) and voila, you have some end pieces.

Now assemble using screws, and appropriate brackets to attach to the walls and roof. Paint, stain, add doors, latches (maybe not necessary in a stationary structure), knobs or handles and you're done.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Skoolie

I knew it wasn't rocket science but I just couldn't wrap my head around it. I am not picking up the skoolie for another three weeks but by then I believe I will have it all figured out. All of the tough stuff has been done. Now it's time to customize it to us. You guys are just amazing. You make me feel super human.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:55 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
What Brad said.

If you have a table saw you can cut dadoes into the cabinet front and glue the front into the bottom. otherwise, use angle brackets or aluminum angle to fasten the bottom to the front. Mount the cab to the wall/ceiling with sheet metal screws and angle brackets. Very simple.

My cabinets attach to fiberglass walls and after 5 years are still as solid as the day I mounted them.
Attached Thumbnails
186-4 Kitchenuppercabinet4510.jpg  
Old 08-27-2017, 11:41 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
I saw a YouTube video were a guy installed his skoolie cabinets with old bed frames. You just take the grinder and cut the bed frame to whatever length that you need, and then drill holes in it where needed. I tried it last week and it worked great.

I had some old cabinets in my basement that I wasn't using so up they went. The easiest way to do it is disassemble the cabinet so that you only have the front and the bottom, then dry fit it and make a line where the top and bottom touch on the bus. You would them install your pre-cut and pre-drilled bed frames ( L-brackets) on the bus. I installed mines directly above the window for the bottom, and then install the top bracket wherever you marked for the top of cabinet. after that you just have to measure and cut the wood for the sides.
Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:12 AM   #8
Skoolie

You guy are too funny.A table saw and a bed frame.I don't even have cardboard t
and a pencil to trace the angles at the moment.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:14 AM   #9
Bus Crazy

Cardboard is easy enough to scavenge.

A table saw, not so much. There's also the issue of storing it when not in use.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:29 AM   #10
Skoolie

I'm totally with you. My skoolie is 36 feet and my trailer will be at least 28 so I should find room but I am not going to carry a bunch of tools. Plus if I wanted to work that hard I'd probably not be living in a skoolie. I am hoping to find handy people along my journey that might do some work on the side.I just didn't want to sound like an idiot when I asked a pro.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:23 AM   #11
Bus Crazy

Many lumber retailers can cut wood to basic sizes, usually to within 1/16" or so. Some lumberyards have woodworking shops that can do things that need extra attention. You can also check on Craigslist for someone in your area to do some basic woodworking if needed (use common sense when dealing with someone you don't know). If using plywood for the fronts/bottoms, basic cuts should do fine. A saber saw will cut the rounded corners and isn't big, so can be stored pretty easily. With care, it can do the doors and such, too.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:56 AM   #12
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
Many lumber retailers can cut wood to basic sizes, usually to within 1/16" or so. Some lumberyards have woodworking shops that can do things that need extra attention. You can also check on Craigslist for someone in your area to do some basic woodworking if needed (use common sense when dealing with someone you don't know). If using plywood for the fronts/bottoms, basic cuts should do fine. A saber saw will cut the rounded corners and isn't big, so can be stored pretty easily. With care, it can do the doors and such, too.
I absolutely agree. I have met some super shade tree mechanics and builders on both Craigslist and Facebook. I too have had home depot, Lowe's,menards and a bunch of small town hardware stored cut things for me.
It's all about being creative and not being afraid to ask for help from as many sources as possible. I have also exchanged dog grooming and pet sitting in some situations when the job was a little more expensive than I'd expected. A saber saw and a circular saw have traveled with me since I moved into my van. I am upgrading those when I move into the skoolie. But even then I'm not getting nuts as far as the tools I will carry. I am a dog groomer, not a carpenter or a mechanic. I know my limits.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
https://youtu.be/1MaYY9nSYqI
Old 08-28-2017, 10:39 AM   #14
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4skool View Post
Exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you!