Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-01-2021, 05:48 PM   #1

Custom Aluminum Box Framing Plans?

Does anybody know where I could find some plans for framing a custom box out of aluminum? I have an E450 shuttlebus, and I'm not going to save any part of the fiberglass (I think?) box. I'm going to frame in a new one with aluminum square tubing and skin the outside in 20ga galvanized sheet metal.

Essentially, it's just going to be a Class B RV, but I can't find anywhere that offers prints on material size and spacing. Right now, it seems like my best bet is to look at pics online and copy the parts I like.

It's not going to be any kind of wild design, just a simple box, but I'd like to have a professional guideline to follow before modeling up the specifics on the computer.

Basically, it's just building a glorified box truck.

If not, I'm sure 1"X2" 6061 rectangular tubing would be plenty. And then I could just build hoops that arch across, spaced 16" apart like normal studs, with some bracing and whatnot in between. But still, it'd be nice to have some real plans to reference. Seems like somebody would have plans out there, but all Google has given me is Pinterest floorplans, blogs galore, composite siding, and one set of wood framing plans for $50.

I'd appreciate any help!!

AnalogStormDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 07:00 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
You can buy aluminum box-truck boxes all over the place if your fiberglass is toast.
Sometimes even free if you junk the rest of the truck.

First 5 minutes looking..

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/hv...335349888.html

BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 08:03 PM   #3

Thanks! That's a thought, but an actual truck box is quite a bit more utilitarian than what I'm after. And by the time a guy modifies it, it'd be just as easy to start fresh--which is why I'm just getting rid of the fiberglass body rather than plugging windows and whatnot, not because the body is in bad shape.
AnalogStormDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:39 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Busless for now
wow. Pretty ungrateful.
Kentucky Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:25 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Our hot little grubbies...
Chassis: Ford CF8000 ExpeditionVehicle
Engine: Cummins 505ci mechanical
Rated Cap: Five Heelers
Your description sounds as though you are 're-inventing the wheel'.
If I was me, I would scour wrecking-yards (aka 'vehicle dismantlers') for a complete box of about the size you need.
As one example:
* Anderson Brothers Heavy-Truck Dismantlers in Eugene Oregon
They have a rapid turn-over of all kinds of trucks -- dry-van, semi, tankers, trailers.
Take-off boxes can be re-used on another truck, or re-purposed as on-ground stationary storage.
The adventurous, seeing opportunity, re-purpose them as TinyHomesOffWheels.
2003, we converted a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
It came with a yuge 24' box, 8.5' wide and nearly thirteen feet tall.
With a couple forklifts, we sold that to a farmer for a chicken coop.
From Mid-Lane truck repair shop, we acquired a take-off twelve-foot box -- us$350 installed.
12 x 7.5 wide x about seven foot tall, a lot easier to manoeuvre.
One advantage to a small box/small vehicle/small quarters:
* less space for less stuff
In other words, 'take up harmonica, quit them tuba lessons'.
One of my favorite hobbies is walking wrecking-yards.
Visually de-constructing various vehicles always gives me ideas... and the visceral physical experience works better for me compared to two-dimensional on a computer screen.
As I understand you, your structure will be a one-off, completely custom.
If I was me, I would discuss this with experienced fabricators, welders and fitters with years of fussing with custom stuff.
If I was me, I would avoid listening to new welders, youngsters lacking the experience to predict potential failure points.
For such a project, experience trumps enthusiasm.
LargeMargeInBaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Turtle Top
Chassis: Ford E-450
Engine: 6.8L V10
Rated Cap: 15
Custom Box

Totally agree with LargeMargeInBaja. I got a lot of ideas just by visiting the bone yard.

My shuttle bus has aluminum sides but fiberglass top and tail. For DIYers, it is a lot easier and cheaper to cut and bolt the frame of a box truck (whole or part) to existing body than to custom made a box.

To convert the box truck flat roof to the curve roof, just the top frame of the box truck parallel to the top frame of the bus. Welding is the best. if not, last resort is to bolt them together afterward with metal tube insert inside the frame using 3/8" grade 8 bolts. Buy the bolts in Tractor Supplies. They are sold by pound.

My bus roof is OK but after I paint the top. I am going to put a layer of 1/8" thick diamond grid aluminum sheet over the fiberglass top so I don't have to worry about the roof for a long time.
Bodhisava is offline   Reply With Quote