Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2023, 01:13 PM   #1

Cutting Materials on a Curve

I am currently trying to winterize the back part of a bus. Is there a trick to measuring and cutting materials to actually fit the curve of the roof?? I have wasted too much trying to figure it out! Halp!

Stargazer7020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargazer7020 View Post
I am currently trying to winterize the back part of a bus. Is there a trick to measuring and cutting materials to actually fit the curve of the roof?? I have wasted too much trying to figure it out! Halp!
Make a cardboard template !
Then cut your metal.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
i use cardboard as a template.
make one piece that makes the curve and to the center of the bus and just flip it around to go from left to right and say if you keep the bottom straight and say the highest point at 2 foot then just measure the highest point down to the floor and when you mark your curve on the material to be cut you no how much added length you need to the floor.
minus your 2 feet in the template of course. example 96"(8') minus 24" (2') leaves you with adding 6' to the bottom of your template. then save that template for future walls.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Cardboard is okay, but for very accurate templates, especially around a curve, try 10 minute building paper. It’s a thin version of tar paper. It’s flexible, strong, and it holds a crisp edge
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 04:35 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Here's my technique for cutting a piece that matches the ceiling curvature without having to create a template: https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/r...tml#post442087
Old 08-23-2023, 04:38 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Same-cardboard is cheap! I also put a vertical stick right in the middle of the aisle (my bus is not always on a perfectly flat and level surface), and used a sheet rock square to get perpendicular measurements.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 08:53 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
I used a mix of cardboard and a scribe.
1) Cut cardboard really roughly to the shape of the curve. I mean really rough - eyeball it and cut with reckless abandon.
2) jab wooden BBQ skewers into the curved end of your cardboard at approximately 2" intervals. Bring your cardboard/skewer creation into the bus and slide the skewers in/out until they all make contact with the bus ceiling.
3) transfer your skewer curve onto your sheet of plywood or whatever, then rough cut it (put in a little more effort this time though)
4) bring your rough cut piece into the bus and scribe the final cut onto it (see musigenesis' post from earlier)
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2023, 09:30 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i like digital.

if you're into CAD of anysort like sketchup or fusion360....

its pretty easy to snap a picture of the profile and insert the pic into the CAD program. you can scale the picture and then trace the curve and size it as needed.

then print and cut out to your size

i used this method fitting cabinets to a van wall. worked pretty good. helps that i had a cnc machine to cut out the profile after i had it in CAD
Old 08-24-2023, 04:54 PM   #9

Thanks guys!!! I appreciate the input and ideas!! Next step after this is tearing out the bifold doors with broken glass and putting in an actual door!
Old 08-24-2023, 04:55 PM   #10

This is GENIUS!!
Old 08-24-2023, 06:59 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
i made about 4 templates out of cardboard and the duct taped the edges so i have them ready i raised my roof and installed upper cabinets and those templates worked great just never throw them away
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2023, 11:30 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
...if you're into CAD of anysort like sketchup or fusion360....
I'm into CAD for these uses as well...Cardboard Aided Design.

On a serious note, I do have a 5x10 CNC plasma table and I've thought about adding a router to it, for wood. But I don't have that yet...so I use a heavy duty floor protector, which is like super thick builders paper in a roll. I always have a roll on hand for this stuff. FloorShield is one version.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:13 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
Steel Templates from the Factory

The IC factory included two ceiling templates, interior front & rear, which we saved on a deck, near our build.

DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 08:57 AM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I plan to make some templates for the rear portion of the "new Crown" the following way:
Using one of the laser levels from Harbor Freight that has a filter to produce a line of light, position the light line where I need to make a template. Use a sharpie to mark along the the light line. Using a large square and a tape measure on the floor or in my case the bed, measure the distance from sharpie line to bed/floor at 1" intervals. Where the curve is more vertical like near the sides, 1/2" centers is better. This is a 2 person job. To increase accuracy of measurements measure to a specific distance down the square instead of trying to bend the tape measure and guess at exact measurement, say 6" from corner of square. Make template based on the measurements (connect the dots?). Crowns and other buses have complex curves to plot out.
I know it sounds complex but this works even if the bus is not level. I like poster board vs. cardboard for template material.
Crowns have a rounded profile at the floor where it meets the wall, so placing a length of steel or wood across side to side to place the square on solves that problem.
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2023, 10:18 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I never imagined I would become this kind of person, but: I feel that CNC is cheating as far as fabrication and carpentry are concerned.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:05 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I never imagined I would become this kind of person, but: I feel that CNC is cheating as far as fabrication and carpentry are concerned.
yep, maybe.
its a different tool, its not "push button easy". its lousy at one offs.
CAD is one skill, then you learn CAM ( the machining program), and you need another bit of software to translate the CAM to your own machine. the cost of the software is a B..... most of it is subscription or real expensive to buy outright. i just dropped my fusion360 subscription since i hadnt used it in a bit.

then there are the miscuts, bits, and time

if i had a miscut, which program is it wrong in? worse is, why won't it do what i want or am telling it to do? its its own world.

great for production. similar amount of time goes into 1 as 1000

and it cuts perfect curves! it has better handwriting than mine. i thought it would be easier to make stuff, but there is no library too cut and paste from, you have to draw it all up from scratch.

I've had mine almost 2 years now, and im such a beginner. but im getting better.
last week i was learning how to take a photo and carve it into a panel. i think im going to start playing with epoxy inlays with it....

if you want a photo of your dog on a cabinet door..... i can do it for you!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8402.JPG  
Old 08-25-2023, 12:33 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Man, Turf, now you're motivating me to get that router installed. I don't need the 3D carving functionality like yours...just perimeter cuts on plywood...but that's damned cool.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote