Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2021, 06:19 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Doing The Stairs

I am finally getting around to finishing up the entry stairs. I was going thru my photos and thought I would share some pics (and links to the stuff I used)

These fist two pics were actually taken by the seller before I bought the bus. Looking at this pic now, the entry looks very narrow to me with the door folded in like that.

Although the Gillig’s pneumatic door was super cool and fun to open and close, I am happy with our decision to straighten the door and remove the air controls. The entry feels much bigger, and I can actually seal the door now.

For those who haven’t read my intro thread (link here) I took this pic in Nebraska while driving the bus back from Northern CA to the DC area. The pic was taken after this poor grouse smashed thru my windshield, bounced off the drivers side window, and wedged itself between my seat ant the side console; not very fun.

Fast forward to the present; here is what my stairs have looked like for quite a while. The stair box is welded up aluminum, uninsulated and with out the plywood, it is a bit flimsy?

I installed this Kilmat, acoustic sound insulation primarily to deaden the sound the aluminum makes and hopefully reduce road noise coming thru the stairs.

And here is where I am this morning. The stair treads, edge molding, and sweet peel and stick tiles came last night and are mocked up for the pic.

Before permanently installing everything I will be covering the stairs and sides with the same flooring used elsewhere in the bus.

ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:24 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Man, that looks fantastic! Our Phantoms were transits, so they have the lift there...which will complicate our beautification process a bit. But you've given me some great inspiration. You have a really nice bus and your work is fantastic.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:52 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Why are you still grousing about that darn bird?
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Did you at least get free dinner?
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
"Sire, the pheasants are revolting!"
Old 02-06-2021, 05:17 AM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 466
Thanks for the link on stair treads, I want to do some nice stair treads because it's the entrance and the first thing you will see.... but safety and sure footing is also a major concern. Our steps are kinda steep...
jonb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 11:03 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Fine work on the stairs!

I had a run in with a grouse the other day. They are like bricks with wings. Hopefully will get it fixed this week after an estimated $950 stimulus to the automotive repair economy. Gotta love all the gadgets they can pack into the body color, heated, auto darkening, blind spot detecting mirrors.

Ted
Attached Thumbnails
20210201_131045.jpg  
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Fine work on the stairs!

I had a run in with a grouse the other day. They are like bricks with wings. Hopefully will get it fixed this week after an estimated $950 stimulus to the automotive repair economy. Gotta love all the gadgets they can pack into the body color, heated, auto darkening, blind spot detecting mirrors.

Ted
Is there some kind of spike in the grouse population going on right now? Shortage of shotgun ammo, maybe?
Old 02-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Man, that looks fantastic! Our Phantoms were transits, so they have the lift there...which will complicate our beautification process a bit. But you've given me some great inspiration. You have a really nice bus and your work is fantastic.
Your comments are inspiring to me. Thanks Ross.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Why are you still grousing about that darn bird?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Did you at least get free dinner?
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Is there some kind of spike in the grouse population going on right now? Shortage of shotgun ammo, maybe?
Three years later and that grouse is still stealing the spotlight...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Fine work on the stairs! I had a run in with a grouse the other day. They are like bricks with wings. Hopefully will get it fixed this week after an estimated $950 stimulus...
Thanks Ted. “bricks with wings” is a perfect description, and “...an estimated $950 stimulus....” is hilarious, but not if you’re paying the stimulus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonb8 View Post
Thanks for the link on stair treads, I want to do some nice stair treads because it's the entrance and the first thing you will see.... but safety and sure footing is also a major concern. Our steps are kinda steep...
Funny you should mention the stair treads. The SgtMaj (aka wife) doesn’t like them and wants me to install some “water hog” (-ish) mats instead. So, if you want a couple of rubber stair treads, PM me and I will send them your way.

Below is a pic of how far I got with finishing up those stairs today. The raw wood on the lower left and upper right will be removed, stained, poly’d, and reinstalled. I will also be installing the edge molding on the top edges, and now on the middle stair (since the boss wants mats...)

I will also be building a stair cover (cedar and tung oil) which will double as an entry stoop when we are parked.
Old 02-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
I will also be building a stair cover (cedar and tung oil) which will double as an entry stoop when we are parked.
While still a work on progress (like everything else on the bus), here is the stair cover, not a lot to it.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:00 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Do you have a picture of the underneath of the cover? I'd like to see how it's put together...

Thanks!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:34 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbloem1974 View Post
Do you have a picture of the underneath of the cover? I'd like to see how it's put together...
I didn’t count, but I believe there are ~50 pocket holes/screws holding it together; I didn’t want any visible screws. A few years ago a fellow forum member and Gillig owner (thank you Justin @GilliganPhanton) enlightened me on the joys of the Kreg jig. I bought this one (Kreg R3), and recently upgraded to this one (Kreg K4). Awesome tools.

The dimensions of the base and the overlap of the top planks allow the cover to drop into the stair hole and stay put.

The cover rests on the top lip of the stairs and the added piece of wood on the righthand side.

The middle support is a piece of treated 2x4; I ran out of cedar...

Here is a pic of the cover in it’s final configuration, with the final of many coats of tung oil. The pile of oak scraps behind it will become countertops and a table for the bus (thanks to Robert @BBBus for the oak)
Old 02-13-2021, 09:09 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Wow!! That's some nice work. I have a Kreg jig too. Love that thing. Thanks for the detailed pics and explanations!! Really appreciate it.

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:46 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Your platform looks great. I would like to have one of those except what do I do with it on all of those ins and outs when you don’t use the platform? You know like the grocery store, restaurants, and stopping by a friends house. I think you will need another place for the platform.

I have seen ppl w a pallet. But where do they store it?
I’m not knocking your plan, I’m just thinking it through. I was thinking maybe build a slide under the bus?

Peace
Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:39 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
Your platform looks great. I would like to have one of those except what do I do with it on all of those ins and outs when you don’t use the platform? You know like the grocery store, restaurants, and stopping by a friends house. I think you will need another place for the platform.

I have seen ppl w a pallet. But where do they store it?
I’m not knocking your plan, I’m just thinking it through. I was thinking maybe build a slide under the bus?
Dave, thank you for sharing your concerns.

For underway stops I am planning to put it here. It fits in the dashboard tray section near the door, and can be latched in place to the A-pillar.

If the cover starts getting on my nerves I could always banish it to the bay.

However, as we do not yet live on the bus, everything I say is notional (which of course means “made up”...). When (if) we get on the road, I may end up hating the thing and throwing it into a dumpster.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Or repurpose as an outdoor shower deck. It's too pretty to throw in the dumpster.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:54 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Well crap! If I had that kinda storage, I wouldn’t have asked a silly question.

I do think it’s a great idea to have a muddy shoes platform. I hear ppl say it’s hard to keep their busses clean.

Since my storage doesn’t drop below the bottom rail as some do, I’m now thinking about welding some slide in compartments for specific things. Ladder, platform, and ??

Thanks for kick starting my brain!

[emoji3522]
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote