Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2020, 07:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Door location change

Hey skoolie community. Im new here and converting a 40’ 2006 freightliner with a Mercedes diesel. I want to move the door and stair location to about centre bus, and seal the front door with a sliding window and change the stairs to a “tool shed”. This is all to add a beautiful captians chair for my lovely copilot. Has anyone Moved the door location before? Any tips? Happy travels

Bigbadbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 08:08 PM   #2
Skoolie

Carefully figure out how much weight you plan to add to the front passenger corner of the bus. on a RE bus, it is painfully easy to overload the front axle...
TomA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:48 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Good point. Thanks. Its Just the seat, my wife and some essential road tools for easy access.
Old 07-21-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
A friend of mine has moved his door to the middle using the emergency door as a start, and put stairs in. Had them done actually. The front door and steps will be removed and will build a dropped shower pan to go there for the shower . I am planning to help him with that later this summer.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbadbus View Post
Has anyone Moved the door location before?
It's pretty straightforward, and fairly easy, once you spec out your new steps. I'd recommend bolting the steps to the floor AND the ribs (and anything else within reach).......you ARE cutting the chair rail, and that's a structural component, so adding support back to that area is a good thing. Then it's just a matter of framing the opening and building a door to fit.

My old door opening will hold my genny and house batteries.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 08:27 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3 Allison MD3060
Try this link. Travis did a great job I think and I was going to kind of follow his lead with my door move.

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/sojourner-8810.html
JamieJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:00 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks. Not sure about the chair rail. Just exploring right now. New to bus renovations. I know what i want. Its just a matter of learning the proper way to go about it. Your bus looks great!
Old 07-22-2020, 09:06 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Something I saw that I didn't know as a tent camper, is that rv parks have their hookups on the drivers side, and thus all RV's have their doors and awnings and decks, etc on the passenger side. So I noticed your door is on the drivers side. On purpose?
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
So I noticed your door is on the drivers side. On purpose?
Yeah.....that fit my favorite interior layout. I'll be spending my time out in the boonies......the RV park or campground thing just isn't my scene.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas 4-Window
Chassis: 2003 Ford E350
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
Yeah.....that fit my favorite interior layout. I'll be spending my time out in the boonies......the RV park or campground thing just isn't my scene.
In those odd cases where you might end up in an RV park anyway, just go in nose first.
FatBoySTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:35 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e/Allison 2000
Rated Cap: 65
I did just what you are thinking about doing on my 37' conventional bus. Moved the stairs about halfway back on the passenger side, added an RV door there, covered the old door with sheet metal and a sliding window, and created a storage bay where the old stairs were which now houses the outside unit of my minisplit. I also mounted a copilot seat where the old stairs were. Let me know if I can help in any way.

cdrobbins77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 04:22 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: MBE 906 Mercedes Benz Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
A friend of mine has moved his door to the middle using the emergency door as a start, and put stairs in. Had them done actually. The front door and steps will be removed and will build a dropped shower pan to go there for the shower . I am planning to help him with that later this summer.
Yes, this project was part of the old window replacement. It went pretty smoothly. I found a very good welder to make my vision come true.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1209(1).jpg   IMG_1215(1).jpg   IMG_1236.jpg   IMG_1240.jpg   IMG_1299.jpg  

IMG_1297.jpg   IMG_1305.jpg   IMG_1307.jpg  
Beachvbguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Sweet mod! Ill be studying your pics for sure
Old 07-29-2020, 08:12 PM   #14

Quote:
What a fabulous idea!!!!!!
StacyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:13 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrobbins77 View Post
I did just what you are thinking about doing on my 37' conventional bus. Moved the stairs about halfway back on the passenger side, added an RV door there, covered the old door with sheet metal and a sliding window, and created a storage bay where the old stairs were which now houses the outside unit of my minisplit. I also mounted a copilot seat where the old stairs were. Let me know if I can help in any way.

your bus looks amazing. looking at your design gave me lots of ideas
Old 11-16-2020, 10:35 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

I pulled it off. you can see pics on instagram if you like. @our_bus_is_named_harriot. let me know what you think
Old 12-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
You're going to put the shower in the very front of the bus by the dash??
cafspecdel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, custom door