Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Me
Chassis: 2001 IC
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
dreadful reflective tape

Just wanted to say this is one of the worst things you will encounter during your build. That reflective tape on the outside of the bus is stuck with some space age crap that has caused many people a nightmare. My wife came up with a idea that took it all off in 30 minutes. MEK is a very powerful thinner/cleaner used for paint. I wet it with a rag and right behind me she came with a plastic putty knife. The MEK evaporates in seconds so it is very important that one person follows you like inches behind the wetted sticky crap. If it is not wet from the MEK forget it. It came right off thank you wife saved me a lot of work. Use proper gloves as this stuff is very bad for your hands and lungs.

Ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Use proper gloves **and mask / ventilation** as this stuff is very bad for your hands and lungs.

Very inflammable

Nasty stuff, banned in Canada and lots of US jurisdictions.

I assume you worked up from alcohol, mineral spirits first?

Even acetone's a "little" better
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:07 PM   #3
Skoolie

All that stuff didn't phase that glue. You want to do this is the shade as well the MEK evaporates very fast in the sun or on a windy day. Home Depot sells a "MEK substitute" and worked just as good as the regular MEK from Menards.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:11 PM   #4
Skoolie

Took some pics of the difference before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
glue2.jpg   glue1.jpg  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Use proper gloves **and mask / ventilation** as this stuff is very bad for your hands and lungs.

Very inflammable

Nasty stuff, banned in Canada and lots of US jurisdictions.

I assume you worked up from alcohol, mineral spirits first?

Even acetone's a "little" better
I've used all those and more to no avail.
A heat gun and scraper do it for me, then a rubber wheel.
I'll try MEK.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
Skoolie

EastCoast I did use a heat gun to get the tape off. Some came off easy some not so easy in pieces about the size of a dime. We are prepping for paint been long awaited winter to get this completed. Any tips on a spay gun would be helpful. I plan to use the Sherwin Williams paint. I don't think my gun I use to spray cars with will work.
Old 04-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I used a 7" angle grinder and a flap wheel, makes quick work of any tape or lettering.
Did anyone notice the rust on this bus for sale here? All that rust damage is from water trapped behind the reflective tape.
Attached Thumbnails
DB9D2F92-2A0A-4822-8AB8-6CB48F8D1311.jpg  
Attached Images

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciscokid View Post
EastCoast I did use a heat gun to get the tape off. Some came off easy some not so easy in pieces about the size of a dime. We are prepping for paint been long awaited winter to get this completed. Any tips on a spay gun would be helpful. I plan to use the Sherwin Williams paint. I don't think my gun I use to spray cars with will work.
Can you thin the paint to make it work in a regular spray gun? Just put it on in lighter coats so it doesn’t run.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:48 PM   #9
Skoolie

I was thinking about that but the can I put the paint in would have to be filled many times. Its not very big. All the you tubers show them using a wagner spray gun like you use on the house. I have never used one of these and wonder if it leaves a rough finish.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
IDk on the spray gun. I'm gonna try a $15 purple hvlp from Harbor Freight on this bus.
Don't use any water based latex type stuff.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:12 PM   #11
Skoolie

The Sherwin Williams paint they quoted me was 75$ a gallon and they use it on tractors. It is a enamel paint. They told me I can get it in any color I want is why we are choosing it.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:19 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
I was thinking about that but the can I put the paint in would have to be filled many times. Its not very big. All the you tubers show them using a wagner spray gun like you use on the house. I have never used one of these and wonder if it leaves a rough finish.
the factory uses airless spray - I've used airless spray with a 13 thou tip for spraying enamels and I sprayed a couple of cars with it too - you have to move fast, but it does a nice job - you need room to move - you can't spray with an airless in a confined space like you can with a conventional spray gun - it would be a difficult thing to do for someone with no experience with a commercial airless - takes about 10 minutes to spray out a car or pickup
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:24 PM   #13
Skoolie

Thanks for the tip. Looks like I need to do some you tubing on how to use one of these airless guns.
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks for the tip. Looks like I need to do some you tubing on how to use one of these airless guns.
I'd suggest spraying some stain on a garden shed first, to get the feel
Old 04-26-2019, 09:03 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Quote:
The Sherwin Williams paint they quoted me was 75$ a gallon and they use it on tractors. It is a enamel paint. They told me I can get it in any color I want is why we are choosing it.
You should be able to thin that paint out as needed to make it spray properly. Probably no different than old school enamel auto paint. Ask the paint store, they can tell you about thinning it and what the best gun would be to use.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:14 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
You should be able to thin that paint out as needed to make it spray properly. Probably no different than old school enamel auto paint. Ask the paint store, they can tell you about thinning it and what the best gun would be to use.
will probably say how much the paint can be thinned on the label - likely 10% - more than that and it's likely to loose it's gloss
Old 04-27-2019, 01:33 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've used all those and more to no avail.
A heat gun and scraper do it for me, then a rubber wheel.
I'll try MEK.
Once the tape is gone the glue is easy. I used "Contractor's Solvent" from Ace Hardware. It is eco-friendly and really works. It is a wonderful product that my wife found one day at Ace Hardware. She was tired of seeing me spend so much time and effort taking off the tape and decals.

I spray some on the glue and let it sit for 5 minutes, then rub it very lightly with a putty knife (metal, but plastic is fine too). It will have the consistancy of thick jelly and as sticky as snot. I then use a lot of paper towels and wipe off the "snot". It smears easily and gets all over if you do not keep applying fresh paper towels. Once the bulk is off, spray a light coat of the solvent, let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes and wipe off again. Follow with soapy water (I use Dawn).
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:

Implement enamel can be spayed with an automotive type spray gun you should know many cup refills will be needed. Also the same quality enamels can be secured from one of the many farm supply outlets for a much lesser price(tractor supply rural king orsheln ect)
Old 04-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
IDk on the spray gun. I'm gonna try a $15 purple hvlp from Harbor Freight on this bus.
Don't use any water based latex type stuff.

I have been painting all sorts of vehicles for years from tractor trailers to tractors to custom auto paint and have owned guns from devilbliss to CH the best gun I have ever used is my Purple gun from HF don't know if it is a freak or if they are all that good. And you are correct sir NO LATEX. Gene
Old 04-30-2019, 01:19 PM   #20
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird International
Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
You should try using a "smart eraser pad" from astro pneumatic tool company. It is made to remove pen striping from cars. It was only about $16 from the local car paint supply store.
It took me about 25-30 minutes to get the church stickers off. Here is a link to a video from my other post.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vtt...w?usp=drivesdk
Gorzie is offline   Reply With Quote