Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1966
Coachwork: supierior
Chassis: Chevy C60
Engine: Chevy 454
Rated Cap: 10
Re: Driving in Sand With a Skoolie

well its been a while but there is no infor on driveing in sand. i did it in my 66 chevy c60 35 ft skoolie. It was at pismo beach i did drive as much as posible on slightly wet sand but the wet can be real wet and sink. But when i did drive on the soft stuff it was all gravey. I went uphill and everything, didnt air down. The one thing that did not work was going in reverse, not at all. I did this then pulled out of it in forward gear The buses have so much weight and duels and dont easily spin the tires that they dont dig and that is what mostly sticks people in sand is they start spinning the wheels and get scared and give it more throtele. WRONG, you want to let off then pump the gas, your momentum is what keeps you afloat, dig and float, dig and float untill you get a bit of speed, or out of a soft spot. But keep your speed up. If you stop and when you start your tires start to spin, stop, get out and do something before its a real mess, once your stuck your stuck and diggin with your tires is useless. also if your camping on the sand pour all your waste water on the sand infront of your tires this will harden sand before you leave. whenever possible park faceing down hill this helps in starting out. Also tires with tread paterns going with the direction of tire like long grooves around the tire as opposed to short cross grooves. The later will dig the former will float. its all about floating. Its very rare that flooring it will get you out of a stiutation in sand but they exist and are more for smaller cars and tires that dont dig or big horse power raceing fun stuff.

junkyardkid is offline   Reply With Quote