Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2021, 11:35 PM   #1

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bus
Exterior lighting

Here’s what I’m wanting to do, I’m wondering if anyone has taken the front and rear flashers, that would be the very top lights and has replace those with flood lights, I looked all over the Internet for any retrofits and could not find any. I’m wanting to stick with LEDs since they will consume less power. Is there a plug and play option for the existing connections or do I need to re- run wires? I would not have to run the wires very far as it will just go from the lights up top to a switch in the dash and then the cable going to the battery. I think it would be very simple, has anyone had experience with this? I’m thinking it would be nice to have a little extra light in the front. Or would my easiest option be to completely delete the lights that are there and add a light bar to the front and back.

Charly_Klappenbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 10:12 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
We did a full LED conversion, putting DRLs up top in front, and additional brake lights in back, but the state of NH did not want any lights in place where the flashers once were. We had to remove them.

Make sure what you are hoping to do is legal. Light bars high up are definitely frowned upon because a ton of idiots with Jeeps and trucks put them up, turn them on in traffic and blind everyone around them.

To answer your question on wiring, pre-LED flasher years they had to use some really beefy wiring to drive those big lights- you can likely reuse the wiring to run your LEDs.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote