Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-22-2017, 04:41 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
And, I'm not sure how usable bright white lights just above the windshield will be. Could be a net liability for night vision.
I'm thinking of sticking a pair of these up there. They are what I have on my motorcycle and they make night riding a total pleasure:

https://ledrider.com/shop/?model_number=LD5

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:19 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If you are talking about the upper front lights, we've had this discussion. They are illegal in white just about everywhere unless covered and cannot be used anywhere except "off road".

Just a heads up.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
I ran my vent tube for the black tank up to my rt rear from inside & my plan is to cover it by hooking my brake lights to led lights for the rear. On the front I'm thinking doing something like Brown Crown did for his fav. sports team only I'm thinking American flag on one side & Italian flag{ I'm Italian by marrage} on the other with very low power led bulb behind them.
Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 02:44 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
At the front I covered the red flashers (my Crown didn't have amber ones) with one continuous piece of aluminum the full width of the front roof cap. I don't like seeing individual patches over each light, whether riveted, screwed or glued, so having one smooth piece instead looks cleaner, and after it's painted it will look like it came from the factory that way. I used 3M 5200 marine adhesive to bond it on - it's not moving, ever!

I've repurposed the rear red flashers as extra high-mount brake lights. FMVSS 108 is ambiguous about this, but I haven't changed the original brake lights, and there are plenty of flat-bed tow trucks that also have similarly-high brake and turn lights. I even saw a bus a while ago, maybe a Temsa or Irizar, with a pair of extra high brake lights, so I'm not worried about the legality of it. These extra brake lights work only when my front and rear fog lights are on, so in poor weather and bad visibility I can give drivers behind me plenty of warning when I'm slowing. I reused the cube relay from the original flip-out Stop sign to power them, and they are BRIGHT!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71
They are pretty standard. Weldon makes the lights for most bus bodies. If you go back far enough some were made by KD lights or Bader Brown. For the most part though your 7" round lights are of the Weldon 1000 series.
richy_04@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 08:46 PM   #26
Skoolie

Somebody here I believe it was, got those clear covers, cut slots around them to allow for air movement, and then used the holes to duct air exchange for a window unit AC that was fully contained in the bus. Not sure how well it worked, but intriguing idea for sure.

I see a lot of folks just sheet metal the holes over and call it done.
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote