Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas Build
Chassis: International
Engine: 466E
Rated Cap: 66
Foam Board Insulation for Side Walls

For those of you that used foam board insulation in your side walls, did you use 1.5 inch? If so, where in the world did you find it. No one carries that size anymore and I really don't want to have to double up because it's already gonna be pricey. Any tips help. I keep going back and forth on what to do and whats the safest to do for insulation and then I can't find the one I decide on lol.

WanderlustExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: HDX
Engine: Cat C7
Rated Cap: 84 passenger
I used the 1" double-faced foam on mine. It fits nicely between the cable runs on top and the chair rail on the bottom. Plywood facing goes over it.
CaptSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 09:14 PM   #3
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas Build
Engine: 466E
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptSquid View Post
I used the 1" double-faced foam on mine. It fits nicely between the cable runs on top and the chair rail on the bottom. Plywood facing goes over it.
Oh okay. The depth itself on the side is about two inches thick. So we know we can't do the full 2 inches because there are screws at the bottom where the chair rail is so we are going to have to figure something out with that, plus we need a little space, but not enough for leaks. We are covering it with pallet boards. I think we are running our electric on the top but I'm not sure (I'm not handling that part). I figured the 1.5 would be perfect with some spray foam touch ups if needed. I just want to make sure the 1 inch would be enough to insulate without leaks or anything. Never done any of this before so IDK what works lol. I have heard mixed reviews about spray foam being dangerous (plus it's expensive) but I honestly feel like thats the easy way lol
WanderlustExistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:34 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I have rigid pink in 1/2" and 1", one of each in there fills 1-1/2". Actually my 1/2" is polyiso, so put it on the important side.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
foam board insulation, insulation, school bus conversion