Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
gas tank removal blue bird bus 1998

Hi all- I have a 1998 skoolie with a 366 chevy engine. Its a blue bird body. One of the metal fuel lines appeared to be leaking, but now after closer inspection, it is leaking behind the frame (on top of the tank). It appears the only way to reach it is to drop the tank to access the top of it. Any insight on how to do this. Not sure what to remove regarding the cage, etc. Doesn't appear to be any way to fix this without dropping the tank. Thoughts or suggestions.....

Thank you, Freebyrd

freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #2
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebyrd View Post
Hi all- I have a 1998 skoolie with a 366 chevy engine. Its a blue bird body. One of the metal fuel lines appeared to be leaking, but now after closer inspection, it is leaking behind the frame (on top of the tank). It appears the only way to reach it is to drop the tank to access the top of it. Any insight on how to do this. Not sure what to remove regarding the cage, etc. Doesn't appear to be any way to fix this without dropping the tank. Thoughts or suggestions.....

Thank you, Freebyrd
It's in there pretty well.

1) Drain the tank. Doh !

2) They are locknuts. I soaked mine with Kroil, then used a ratchet to remove and hurt my bicep in the process- there are many comfortable bolts. I suggest air tools for this job, in hindsight.

3) Lower tank slowly, mine had a coil of line so there was slack, but was zip tied and had to crawl between tank and frame to snip. I used floor jack. Leave a couple bolts loose until helper shows-up.

4) Replace fuel lines while you are in there.

5) Decide to strip and paint fuel tank while out.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 366
Rated Cap: 36
Thanks Rusty......its hard to tell what is what. You are right, a lot of bolts. Another couple hits with pb blaster and i should be good to drain it this weekend. Thank you pal!
freebyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebyrd View Post
Thanks Rusty......its hard to tell what is what. You are right, a lot of bolts. Another couple hits with pb blaster and i should be good to drain it this weekend. Thank you pal!
and please be careful with sparks and gasoline....
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote