The aluminum I ordered should be here today so hopefully this weekend I can make some headway with the door project. In the meantime I have been working on:
1) Reinforcing the stairs and
2) Cleaning up the washer fluid cubby behind the door.
Although this is a door rehab thread, I decided to document these efforts here.
1) As for the entry way stairs, since the below pic was taken I have removed the rubber tread on the bottom step, and test fit some reinforcing at the front. The stairs are aluminum, but under the stairs is a metal support bracket. This bracket was badly rusted and needed some help.
I snapped this pic this morning as I was headed out the door; I will get some pics from underneath tonight after work.
I used a 2.5" wide piece of aluminum on top with a 2" piece of steel angle iron on the bottom for strength. I used 3/8" elevator bolts to tie the pieces together. I will be installing a piece of aluminum angle over the elevator bolts to tidy things up, close the bottom gap, and hide the elevator bolts. Behind the aluminum trim I will be building up that bottom step and creating a bottom door jam for the door to seal against.
2) The washer fluid reservoir cubby...
It was actually pretty clean in there. Here is a pic after cleaning and paint prep.
And here it is after rust paint; it will still need a top coat. The two cut air lines in the pic used to go up the A-pillar to the door opener. I am considering re-using one of those lines to put an air tool regulator and connector in that space.
I considered using a smaller washer fluid reservoir and turning that space into a shelf, but will probably abandon that idea in favor of the air connection.