Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2022, 11:31 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Gray water drain pump

Having a hard time finding info on this…

There is no way my gray water tank can be under my shower. I live in MN and even with insulation, it would freeze or at least get slushy outside.

Has anyone put a pump in their plumbing setup to take drain water to the gray tank? I don’t have black water, only fresh and gray. The sink I can make work with gravity but no way I could make it work with the shower.

olivemartini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:11 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
found this
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f50/w...ank-18738.html
Old 08-04-2022, 07:27 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i lived thru a couple of winters at 8500' in colorado. only once did i have to drive south to thaw out.

waste water can freeze. the tanks expand so no damage happens. they sell heating pads to thaw or keep thawed your tank.

i would turn on the heaters a day or 2 before dump day to make sure it all flows. the second year i started dumping a a fair amount of rv antifreeze and ice melt with each tank.

typical colorado weather gets frigid every night and inthe 30-40s in the day when the sun shines. as long as i dumped above freezing, i didnt have many issues. a long term deep freeze made me drive south to Albuquerque to thaw one weekend.

i used a hammer to tap the side of the waste tank, to tell whether or not i could dump.

you can build your tanks inside. you can make a sump to transfer. the more complex it is the more prone you are to failure. if a sump system froze....you probably ruin a pump, if a tank freezes, no big deal.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:22 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:
Originally Posted by olivemartini View Post
Having a hard time finding info on this…

There is no way my gray water tank can be under my shower. I live in MN and even with insulation, it would freeze or at least get slushy outside.

Has anyone put a pump in their plumbing setup to take drain water to the gray tank? I don’t have black water, only fresh and gray. The sink I can make work with gravity but no way I could make it work with the shower.
Search Amazon and other sites for basement upflush type systems.
Also macerator
Neither is what you're looking for exactly but you'll get ideas of whats available as well as run into some things that may be just what you're looking for. I seem to remember seeing a set up that was a couple inched deep under the shower and then pumped it away. If yo have the height in the shower you can certainly keep in inside the bus.
Another option would be to put the pumping tank under the floor but insulate the heck out of it and circulate inside air through it.
I've been to MN, in February, in a tent. I know of what you speak.

Here's a link to one of the macerator things to get you started.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09S55KCNN...v_ov_lig_dp_it
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, gray, grey, water pump