Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2022, 10:26 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
Handicap door roll out kitchen counter

In my conversion I put my kitchen counter/sink in front of the handicap door (with lift removed). The window in the door is my 'kitchen sink' window. If the weather is nice I open the door for a larger 'window 'area. (My handicap door is in the middle of the bus, there is an awning there too for rain)

I am thinking of putting the kitchen counter on a drawer slide so I can slide it outside and free up inside space when cooking, kinda like a poor mans slideout.

Seems doable, anyone do something like this? I see some nice drawer slides on e trailer (But $300 !)
Attached Thumbnails
image (1).jpg   image.jpg  

matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:07 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Ah, a summer kitchen, more or less. I love the idea if for no other reason than the novelty.

Guess you'd need to determine the total loaded weight of the "drawer" you're making. Wouldn't want to have to pick it up off the ground if the slides fail. Perhaps braces to be installed once the 'drawer' was open.

Also have to consider the fact that in a buggy area it might not be desirable to have a large area open to the bus, 'less'n you like them 'skeeters.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 11:12 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: B-60 Short Bus
Engine: 6.7 liter Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 22,000 GVW
Do you want to cook outside or just push that cabinet out of the way in nice weather?
I use my handicap door (at the back of ours) as our kitchen, but I only cook outside, really. I have the cabinets open from either side so I can reach in while standing there, but I think my cabinet would be too heavy to be held by slides.
Have you thought of legs you could attach to hold it up?
FunkyChickenBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 05:10 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas Bus
Chassis: Allison MD 3060
Engine: Catepillar 3126B 210hp/605 ft lb
summer kitchen, love the idea.

In the real world I would LOVE a slide out but too complex for me. The bus feels more open when I just open the large handicap door, sliding out the kitchen counter would keep my body out of the line of family traffic too.

A mosquito netting could help with bugs though at nite I would close it up. Bears and people...

I saw the guy with the funny porch/fold down handicap door. A porch could be interesting for outside cooking too.
matthews2001 is offline   Reply With Quote