Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Helppppp :-) :-) :-)

ok i m the frenchy so just pardon me for the mistakes
i will buy my school bus this week and start the interior modification...
I would like to know what is the best way to start , like electricity, then plumbing , then flooring?... is there a discussion on this forum which could help me please?

Sebazimut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
There certainly is discussion on how to proceed. Most of us begin by taking out all the seats. Next the interior skin is usually taken off in preparation for insulation. The wood flooring can also be removed in preparation for insulation and new flooring.
Where you live and where you intend to go, you may not need or want insulation. Depending on your climate and time constraints insulation may not be necessary.
If you have construction and building skills, building the bus to living standards can be as fancy or as simple as you would like.
You're going to need to do some reading of the other builds on this site. Some of these builds go back a number of years. Ask questions if you can't find the answer.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:13 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I agree with Robyn regarding this. The hardest thing I've found is getting into the bus and actually doing anything. How far you take apart the bus and put it back together is your decision. I'm nowhere near done with my bus but I'd say electricity (necessary for water pump), propane (usually necessary for hot water) or plumbing. and then flooring last to keep it from getting damaged.

I also recommend thoroughly water proofing your bus in the early stages.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Not to complain about the rain in Oregon but our buses seem to already be waterproof. I had to tighten the knob on my top hatch to get it to stop leaking.

Sebazimut, your English is much better than our French. You're doing fine. I know you are likely having problems understanding some of the colloquialisms commonly used by people. Don't be afraid to clarify meanings if anything said is unclear to you at any time. You think you have problems with English? American people here have problems with English.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 02:29 PM   #5
Skoolie

I was planning on doing plumbing before electric because I figured I'd have to work around the plumbing more than anything and don't have a very specificfloor plan
EricW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
the where do start is "all of the above".

after the demolition and insulation, my starting place was finding where the black tank and toilet were going to be. everything else was built around that.

no plans i made before that decision mattered at all.

locating waste tanks and your battery bank are probably going to dictate where most other things go. don't forget about a furnace and heating ducts either.