Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2021, 09:38 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Henry's Tropicool Application

Just a thread about my experience with Henry's Tropicool 100% Silicon sealant / insulating coating.

The short and sweet:
My bus is a 33' flat nose, and from drip rail to drip rail it's ~9'. Just about 300sqft. I bought a 5 gallon bucket and I have a gallon left. That afforded me to essentially apply 1 trim/seam coat, a second trim coat and 3 full roof panel coats. Pretty impressive!

Equipment:
Find a roller that won't leave peach fuzz. My roof looks like the face of a 13 year old boy. I thought I bought the right roller, but apparently not.

Lay down a plastic or paper work area to prep, clean, etc.. as you will get drips.

First day: I used a 16oz plastic cup to half way fill a large Costco coffee can to initially paint the rivets and seams while on the roof.

I then used a roller screen in the 5 gallon bucket, a ladder and a pole extension. This allowed me to stand on the ladder, dip the roller and then apply the coating. This kept the way to full and way to heavy 5 gallon bucket on the ground.

Second day: The bucket was about half empty and light enough to bring onto the roof. I did this because the directions say to apply each coat perpendicular to the previous coat, which meant front to back for this coat. I placed the bucket on the roof vents to keep it off the coating.

Third day: I returned to using the ladder and pole extension to apply side to side again.

Clean Up:
Nothing is reusable after each coat. I used a new roller pad and new brush each day.

I made sure the garbage can had something in it before throwing away the roller pad or brush, otherwise it would adhere to the can. I hung the screen on the inside of the garbage can, and left the roller pad on the roller hanging over the open garbage can. Within a few hours it had cured and I was able to remove the roller pad from the roller.

I didn't try to clean up anything...I simply let everything cure. Then, I peeled off whatever and used chemicals to remove the remainder.

The details:
As a friend said, it's just goop in a bucket. And, like with any goop, the preparation is the key to success.

I hand washed and sanded the entire roof area. I then used a non-woven strip disc (see below) attached to my drill to prep all the rivets and to remove all the old caulk from the roof panel seams. This also worked great around my roof vents.

I then used a large car wash brush attached to an extended pole to us TSP solution to degrease the roof.

I then taped off the areas I didn't want coated I was ready to go.

In Western Washingtion, streaks of good dry hot weather is finite. Yet, I hit the jackpot!

I brushed on the first coat over all the rivets, the roof panel seams, around and over the base of the roof vents and my side drip rails and rolled my first coat.

The next day I brushed over the drip rails and rolled the entire roof area again.

The third day (told you I had great weather!) I rolled the entire roof area again.

The fifth day I removed the tape. Where I felt it was necessary, I used an razor knife to score the tape edge and lift the tape. I then, and this is important, pulled AWAY from the cured coating at a perpendicular angle. This kept the coating from tearing.

I WENT SLOW in removing the tape.

I'm far from a perfectionist, so I have a bit of cleanup to do. But, overall, I'm really impressed with how it went on and looks.

And yes, it is noticably cooler inside!

Hope this helps someone.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-P...-202830913-_-N

Old 07-16-2021, 09:41 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
Ooops, picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210716_111427961.jpg  
Old 07-16-2021, 10:38 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
I'm far from a perfectionist...
I'm not buying that...
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 01:53 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Yes great product, roof cool and dry for years!

Being sillycone based however, no adhesive will ever stick to that roof again.

Except - hopefully - subsequent coats of itself, after thorough prep.

Basically like having an HDPE roof.

Bolting through and bedding with quality Butyl tape should be OK, but I wonder what would work as the top-layer sealant over that?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
henry, tropicool