Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Engine: 365 International
Rated Cap: 22 handicap accessible
how much physical/interior space to save for solar set up

I am almost 100% on my floor plan, my only concern is wondering if I've saved enough for my solar set up (the batteries, inverter, and everything else needed (still learning what's needed)).

What amount of space would you recommend setting aside for the solar set up (i.e. 3' x 4' etc)?

Also, I'm assuming the solar system (not panels, ofc) is better kept inside the bus rather than in a compartment beneath the bus... correct?

thanks so much,
Shannon

Shannon Elhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 01:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Each of those components are "separate things", not to be placed in the one same location

and the space occupied will vary for each of them separately depending on your use case.

Lead batteries alone can weigh half a ton and take up 30 sqft, while a decent LI pack is not much bigger than a breadbox.

Inverters, chargers, controllers, meters, fuse boxes

the placement and space taken all depends on which units you select, where you prefer to put them, how accessible you want things to be for troubleshooting and repairs in future.

And under the chassis works great, but you need to invest in proper support, security, protection against the elements, heating maybe in cold climate locations. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you, John61ct, I suppose there are a lot of other things to consider - thank you for your thoughts. I was hoping for a baseline idea of needed space, but I'll do more research on which components I will buy.

Insulation and Solar have been very overwhelming topics to figure out
Old 05-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
It depends on how big your system is. My small setup with 60A charge controller, 1000W inverter, 6 circuit fuse block, along with busbars and device fault protection, takes up the space in the cabinet above the drivers seat. That’s about 14” high x 36” wide x 12” deep.

The batteries need to be set up in a separate area, preferably in a separate room. My two 200Ah batteries take up about 20”x20” of floor space.

Hope that gives you a bit of an idea
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:24 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
It depends on how big your system is. My small setup with 60A charge controller, 1000W inverter, 6 circuit fuse block, along with busbars and device fault protection, takes up the space in the cabinet above the drivers seat. That’s about 14” high x 36” wide x 12” deep.

The batteries need to be set up in a separate area, preferably in a separate room. My two 200Ah batteries take up about 20”x20” of floor space.

Hope that gives you a bit of an idea

We've got a similar setup. Ours is housed in a 11" wide base cabinet that's 30" tall and 24" deep, and it houses our distribution panel, 2000w inverter and our charge controller. It's a tight-ish fit, and there's LOTS of ventilation but it works for us. Batteries are in a luggage bay underneath, and the 6 golf cart batteries take up a space around 36" x 16"
Old 05-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
I just dedicated a whole "window" (width) on one side, 30" deep (same depth as my bathroom wall) for my electrical cabinet. About 36" high I built a full width, full depth shelf so I could put controls/wiring up top and batteries below. I positioned it just forward of the middle because... I figured it would make for easier distribution.

It was one of the first areas I allocated/built because as I built around it I could fish/run the needed electrical easily, while the walls were open/etc. I figured if it was too small, I'd move components below the floor into the underbay box, and if it was too big, I could store tools or something else in it. Turned out to be just about right, I think.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:38 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

@danjo @drew_bru @kazetsukai the info you shared is SUPER HELPFUL - thank you! It's just what I was hoping for. I think I have a few adjustments to make but otherwise I'm on the right track. I am really looking forward to having the insulation and solar done - they are def the most confusing to me... can hardly wait to start framing!

(p.s. I put my home on the market 3 days ago... so I am ALL IN for this Skoolie adventure!)
Old 05-23-2020, 08:52 PM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Elhart View Post
(p.s. I put my home on the market 3 days ago... so I am ALL IN for this Skoolie adventure!)
I need to do this as my build is basically complete at this point, but I don't know if its that I'm a first time homeowner or what.... selling is so scary. Next few weeks / months for me. Good luck!!!
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazetsukai View Post
I need to do this as my build is basically complete at this point, but I don't know if its that I'm a first time homeowner or what.... selling is so scary. Next few weeks / months for me. Good luck!!!
Omg, @kazetsukai I just accepted an offer about 2 hours ago. Five days on the market (holy sh*t!). I wondered how I'd feel, and I feel joy and excitement It just feels RIGHT for many reasons.

Tags
floor plan, layout, solar power, solar system