Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2009, 07:10 PM   #1

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit Diesel 8.2L
Rated Cap: 65
How TO: Check kingpin wear/cause of uneven tire tread wear

I need new steer tires on my skoolie. The front right tire is significantly more worn on the outside of the tire. I've been told it could be worn kingpins. I jacked it up and tried to jiggle the wheel perpendicular to the plane of rotation of the wheel, but could not detect any play. Do the kingpins have to be removed to check for wear or is there a better way that I can check them myself? Do you think I should have the tire shop check it out when they do the alignment? thanks, Phil
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2916.JPG   CIMG2915.JPG   CIMG2914.JPG  

Ischgnibargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: 65
Re: How TO: Check kingpin wear/cause of uneven tire tread wear

I'm sure there is a correct way to check the kingpins but an alignment should give you a good indication. When they are bad you can usually see it when you look straight on the front of the vehicle. The top of the tires will lean inwards pretty bad. Your wear seems to be on the outside which could be ball joints, bad alignment, bad tires (when they start a wear pattern they will continue to wear in that same pattern no matter what you do) or possibly the kingpins although I think bad KPs would usually wear on the inside of the tire.
kamoo is offline   Reply With Quote