Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to batilzown
how to Cut out the FLASHER RELAY IN THE RED LIGHT.

i just bought a 1986 ford full size bus. i want to eliminate the flasher mechanism so the red flashing lights stay on constantly so i can use them as fog lights? anyone know were to start. If possible post some pics!...also on the main control panel with all the switches i got a switch that say "pumps" what the hell does it do...I turn it on and the light dim and i cant find any pumps????

batilzown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
MY bus had a switch for a "pump" as well. Mine was wired into the Webasto heater. Does your bus have one of these units stashed away underneath somewhere? What make is your body?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:18 PM   #3

there's a heater in the back of the Bus....not sure if that's what your talking about. Its a international with a ford motor...What body type is that?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
Bus Nut

My bus also has a pump switch on the main panel. The pump is in the coolant line that runs to the heater to help the water circulate; I suppose so the coolant pump on the engine doesn't do all the work. The pump is located in the engine compartment.

Somebody built the body that sits on your International frame. Wayne, Thomas, Blue Bird, Carpenter, Ward, etc but it wasn't International; they only built the chassis.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #5
Bus Nut

That's kind of a long haul for the coolant from the engine to that rear heater, so the pump helps move the coolant. Ditto on rear engine bus, the coolant must move to the rear heater AND all the way to the front heater.

As for the lights, you talking about the ones on the front and rear roof valence?? I think it would be ilegal to have lights up there?? Not sure about where you are and your local laws....try that here and you get a couple of tickets!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 10:46 PM   #6

alright good deal. i got the "pumps" thing figured out....

now onto the lights....Like i said i'm trying to wire the front lights directly to a switch. You know the red one that flash when the bus is picking up kids and such. I took the red cover off and they make awsome off roading lights or fog light.I want to have them be wired constantly on so when i flip the switch they will stay lit and not flash...I'm wondering were the thing that makes them flash is located. As far as tickets go i dont realy dont care im not going to be driveing with them on or anything like that.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:22 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by batilzown
alright good deal. i got the "pumps" thing figured out....

now onto the lights....Like i said i'm trying to wire the front lights directly to a switch. You know the red one that flash when the bus is picking up kids and such. I took the red cover off and they make awsome off roading lights or fog light.I want to have them be wired constantly on so when i flip the switch they will stay lit and not flash...I'm wondering were the thing that makes them flash is located. As far as tickets go i dont realy dont care im not going to be driveing with them on or anything like that.
There are folks here from all over the place and it's really difficult to make "blanket" statements about what's "ok" and what "isn't ok" but we do the best we can with all the right intentions. The point GoneCamping was trying to make is that in many States having driving lights such as you're considering making your warning flashers into would be illegal (even if they're not turned on) unless they were covered while "on road". Jeep folks (all off-roaders) deal with this all the time so the information for your area isn't hard to come by.

On my bus the flasher control mechanism almost looks like a small motor (I suspect that's what it is inside). When my flashers are on it's pretty obvious what "thing" is making the noise so I suggest turning yours on and seeing if you can track down what thing is whirring, or clicking or whatever. On my bus the controller is located overhead above the driver's seat in the front cap area but I suspect if could just as easily be under the dash, etc.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 AM   #8
Skoolie

On my 95 IH, the flasher box is mounted inside the left front wiring access panel on the outside of the bus. Mine is a small solid state box with a bunch of wires coming out of it. I am thinking the exact same thing for my bus. We use it for camping in alot of non-improved areas, ie. national forests and ranches.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 11:12 AM   #9
Bus Geek

my bus has a little access door above the drivers head that was originally used to store the first aid kit road flares ect.....This little door allows me access to the backside of the flashing lights. It would be very easy to splice into the positive wire there and run the wire to a switch.

The lights are most likely already grounded. All you need to turn them on is a positive wire.

like the previous posts Finding the controller and locating the wire that goes to the lights is an equally good idea.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:57 PM   #10
Almost There

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American FE
Engine: Cummins 555 9.1 L diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Re: how to Cut out the FLASHER RELAY IN THE RED LIGHT.

Well, I've done this. It's freaking COOL. Let me be more clear. I HAD it done by the dealer where I get the bus serviced (Bryant Motors, Renton WA, great shop). This was not a great idea due to the unanticipated cost, but I've now got a great system. In Washington you can have white lights, but you cannot have the yellow and red flashers. That's what I was told, I haven't actually looked it up.

The mechanics wired around the flasher relay somehow, but this was apparently more challenging than they thought it would be (probably due to the spaghetti of wires in the panel area--a MESS). They then installed two new switches above the driver so you can't inadvertently make it daytime for an oncoming driver. There are two so the front and rear lights are controlled independently (as flashers they all came on together). The rear switch also lights up the old panel light that illuminated when you had your flashers on, so you'll remember that you've got the rear lights on. The new switches and associated wiring added time to the bill, and I was somewhat shocked to find that this little idea of mine that they thought would be pretty easy came to about $300. But it's really the three hours of shop labor I think I got hit with... they were somewhat surprised, too.

I'm labeling the switches "THE SUN" and then below "FRONT" and "BACK"

I can light up the next county. Cannot be used on the road unless it's you and a whole lot of nobody else. Great for finding a campsite, though. Or signaling extraterrestrials, or ships at sea, whatever. Also better than caltrops for tailgaters, but you didn't hear that from me.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
Skoolie

In Illinois, any lights above 48" from the ground have to be covered while on the roadway.
eggman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:00 PM   #12

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MPV
Engine: Cat 3116 250
Rated Cap: 90
Send a message via MSN to Grizzers Send a message via Yahoo to Grizzers

I plan to wire my flashing lights in the reat to my brake and turn signal lights as well as the amber ones in the front for turn signals. The red ones, I was planning on putting somesort of carriage lamp or old ship navigation lights (for show) the red on the left and green on the right. I even thought of putting a rotating beacon (amber) on the top as a Submarine Identification Light and painting my bus flat black. I just don't think that I could convince the Hwy Patrol that my monster is a submarine.

tom
Grizzers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzers
. . . I just don't think that I could convince the Hwy Patrol that my monster is a submarine.tom
Sure ya can! Just leave it yellow, add a periscope (make from PVC pipe), replace the windows with (or frame to look like) round portholes, add silhouettes of John, Paul, George & Ringo in selected portholes. If pulled over, ensure dive / surface claxon sounds and use a PA system to broadcast crew instructions / appropriate sound effects as he approaches.

Too bad ya don't have a jacuzzi like Lapeer, you could blow the water like you're surfacing. . .just wait until he's walking up to the sub (spelled backwards is bus) to blow out the bilges! Make sure your stereo is blasting Sgt. Pepper music!

If he still wants to ticket ya, just call him a local Yoko (as opposed to yokel).

If ya still want to paint it gray, add a couple missile silo lids on top and nuclear warning signs instead of Beatles silhouettes in the portholes. Large diameter PVC pipe could be made to look like torpedo tubes, front and rear. Add servo controlled lids and watch his eyes open as wide as the torpedo tubes while they're opening (along with all the appropriate sound effects over PA system)!

OK, I'm having too much fun here with the prescription drugs they gave me after surgery, I better stop now. Man, there's just so-o-o-o-o much fun stuff you can do with a bus!