Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 05:01 PM   #21
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cacrowther View Post
In Maryland you are required to repaint the entire bus and REMOVE the flashing lights, front guard bar and stop sign.
Minimally this is required in every state.

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 05:03 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
My agent told me uninsured motorist coverage is a waste of money on a bus.
The last agent I had MADE me buy it.
Uninsured motorist has nothing to do with your vehicle. It covers you when the at fault driver doesn't have enough coverage to pay your expenses. I'd have walked out of that agents office if he told me that.
Old 06-09-2019, 05:15 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Uninsured motorist has nothing to do with your vehicle. It covers you when the at fault driver doesn't have enough coverage to pay your expenses. I'd have walked out of that agents office if he told me that.
Not many drivers gonna hurt you in a bus unless they're driving something fairly substantial. And they're all pretty well insured. Ask Kelly.
I've never bought any amount of insurance not required.
Different folks, different strokes.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 06:43 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
While the chances are rare, what if some uninsured twit, drunk or drugged out of his/her mind crosses the centerline at 65MPH and collides head on into you?
Granted, there probably won't be much left of them to sue, but what do you do as far as fixing your damage IF you don't carry uninsured motorist on your policy? And what if you got hurt as a result?

Who's gonna pay?
Ans.= YOU, and in more ways than one!

Just not a risk I'm gonna take...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:10 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
On my policy, Uninsured Motorist adds rather little to the total cost. I'd rather spend another $30 (or ... whatever my cost is, it's not much) per year to give myself at least some protection. To each their own, buy it or not, but like the proverbial fire extinguisher, it won't help you if you need it and don't have it. All I'll say is to make an informed decision either way.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 03:10 AM   #26
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
While the chances are rare, what if some uninsured twit, drunk or drugged out of his/her mind crosses the centerline at 65MPH and collides head on into you?
Granted, there probably won't be much left of them to sue, but what do you do as far as fixing your damage IF you don't carry uninsured motorist on your policy? And what if you got hurt as a result?

Who's gonna pay?
Ans.= YOU, and in more ways than one!

Just not a risk I'm gonna take...
If that happens insurance is the least of my worries.
And if you go to a hospital they WILL fix you even if you're uninsured. They also can't go after your credit score.

Insurance is a piece of paper allowing me to operate on public roads. Doesn't do much else for me and they've never paid out worth a damn anyway.
Old 06-10-2019, 03:11 AM   #27
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
On my policy, Uninsured Motorist adds rather little to the total cost. I'd rather spend another $30 (or ... whatever my cost is, it's not much) per year to give myself at least some protection. To each their own, buy it or not, but like the proverbial fire extinguisher, it won't help you if you need it and don't have it. All I'll say is to make an informed decision either way.
$250 a year for uninsured for me.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 AM   #28
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Quote:
$250 a year for uninsured for me.
WOW!
Time to shop around for insurance, or move out of FL.!!!
Seriously, that sounds way too high unless its for multimillions in physical damage and medical costs...?

I have no dog in this fight and don't expect it to change your mind, but even at that cost per year, the cost to fix a damaged or totaled bus due to someone else's negligence would far exceed $250.00...
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #29
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteg59 View Post
WOW!
Time to shop around for insurance, or move out of FL.!!!
Seriously, that sounds way too high unless its for multimillions in physical damage and medical costs...?

I have no dog in this fight and don't expect it to change your mind, but even at that cost per year, the cost to fix a damaged or totaled bus due to someone else's negligence would far exceed $250.00...
We just have different philosophies when it comes to insurance.
To me insurance is having enough of a backup savings that replacing a $1600 bus isn't something I'm losing sleep about.
Old 06-10-2019, 12:45 PM   #30
Bus Geek

Quote:
We just have different philosophies when it comes to insurance.
To me insurance is having enough of a backup savings that replacing a $1600 bus isn't something I'm losing sleep about.
That works for you because you don't add any value to your buses. What about those of us who put $20k into a build and some schmuck does $15k worth of damage. I have $100/$300k Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury, $50k property Damage. $250 deductible. That add on cost me $78, of the total $171. If I drop that coverage would my rate drop to $92/year?
Old 06-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #31
Skoolie

You ONLY have to meet the equipment requirements for YOUR State. All other States MUST honor those requirement BY LAW.
This was taught to everyone who goes though training at a police academy. (In my class we got to that subject early , example if you live in WV but drive into Virgina. You can’t get a ticket for not diplaying a front plate like the people of virgina can. The reason is WV does not require a front plate.

PS. New law here in Ohio. Front plate NOT REQUIRED AFTER JULY 1st

Same thing with there is a FEDERAL EXEMPTION from requiring a Commercial drivers license to drive a RV or motor home.
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #32
Skoolie

Insurance is for those of us who have something to lose.

Go through life with no success, no assets, no cares and no responsibility for your fellow citizens why buy insurance?

If you have enjoyed some level of success and personal responsibility in your life than proper insurance coverage is for you!

Just think for only a $578/Year Umbrella Liability Policy I lay off $5MM worth of personal liability responsibilities for my potential stupidity onto my insurer. TO ME it is truly amazing how much personal liability cost and/or property damage value I can layoff on someone else (My Insurance Company) for such as SMALL AMOUNT OF MONEY.

WHAT A BARGAIN!!!

With the minimum limits of insurance coverage in Tennessee where I live at $25K/$50K/$15K for medical and property damage and the fact that's what most driver's carry it's not hard for most folks to be UNDER-INSURED for ANY accident in which they are involved and "At Fault". It's not hard to have $25K worth of medical bills. With so many folks driving new or almost new vehicles these days which they have financed to the hilt that $15K in property damage does not fully cover the cost of replacement of a lot of vehicles on the road today.

Let's say the damages to you and your vehicle are MORE than the "At Fault" driver's insurance limits which are the state minimums. The "At Fault" driver's insurance company will gladly pay the claim to you the claimant that $15K and walk away as they have completed their legal responsibilities to you the claimant and to their insured.

Whatta ya do now???

Sure you can sue the "At Fault" driver for more money for your pain, suffering, medical bills, lost wages, extra cost to repair your damaged vehicle and more HOWEVER WHATTA YA GONNA GIT?

A judgement! Good luck collecting that!

That "At Fault" driver is already broke that's why they are driving POS vehicle with minimum insurance coverage if any insurance coverage at all!!!

"Un-Insured/Under-Insured" motorist coverage is just another way the insurance industry lobby AND your state elected legislative officials TOGETHER have once again passed the "Buck" onto those citizens who have enjoyed success in life with money and something to lose.

Personally I GLADLY buy "Un-Insured/Under-Insured" motorist coverage for all my vehicles. I am more concerned about the "Under-Insured" motorist part than I am about the "Un-Insured" motorist.

Just think if my $50K rig is totaled by an "Under-Insured" motorist with just the $15K state minimum property damage coverage with ME having "Un-Insured/Under-Insured" coverage MY insurer will pay ME the full value of my rig and for that privilege MY insurer can go fight with the dirt bag responsible for the accident for that extra $35K they had to pay out of their pocket rather than ME being out of pocket for the extra $35K of "Moolah" to repair MY vehicle!

In the end it's ALL about how much liability and responsibility are YOU willing to PERSONALLY accept?

Insurance is a way to layoff some or all of those liabilities/responsibilities on someone else by being properly insured and paying an "Insurance Premium".

Interesting how your own personal answer to the above question just might change based upon your own level of personal success that YOU have achieved in your own life!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
This reminds me of an insurance claim I read about - someone had a classic car all restored and book value on old cars like that is hard to calculate - so he bought collector's car insurance for it. The policy had him declare the car's value, which obviously is reflected in the premium. His garage burned down taking the car with it, and the insurance company declared it a total loss. So they're like "here's the $15K you declared your car was worth", to which he replied "But it was worth $25K due to all the 'sweat equity' I had in it". Of course the insurance wasn't about to pay that ... it all went to court ... tried the "Poor Innocent Victim versus the Big Bad Insurance Company" tactic. No, he only got his $15K, for which he had insured the car, minus all the legal expenses.
1. If your collector car, or bus, is in your garage and it burns down, it is covered by your homeowners insurance. They might refer to your collector car policy to establish value.

2. If you’ve put a lot of sweat equity into your ride, it’s your responsibility to update the policy to reflect the new value. This includes providing photos, and possibly receipts, to prove the new value.

I’m calling bullshit on the second hand story.
Brdfrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:45 PM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
If that happens insurance is the least of my worries.
And if you go to a hospital they WILL fix you even if you're uninsured. They also can't go after your credit score.

Insurance is a piece of paper allowing me to operate on public roads. Doesn't do much else for me and they've never paid out worth a damn anyway.
Honestly, and I’m not trying to be a jerk, you’ve probably never had a policy with enough coverage for your risk/needs. I used to sell insurance, hated working in the industry, but got a pretty good understanding of it. When people told me this, I would ask why they thought this way. I would get a long story about how something wasn’t covered. But, when I dug deeper, they typically had state minimums, and no collision or comp coverage—if they did, the vehicle was valued below its actual value, to save on the premium. Then I’d get the “but it wasn’t my fault, so they should pay what it’s worth”— but when you deliberately underinsured, you’re setting the value. Proving that’s not the right value is an uphill battle.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:49 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdfrd View Post
1. If your collector car, or bus, is in your garage and it burns down, it is covered by your homeowners insurance. They might refer to your collector car policy to establish value.

2. If you’ve put a lot of sweat equity into your ride, it’s your responsibility to update the policy to reflect the new value. This includes providing phots, and possibly receipts, to prove the new value.

having worked on many fire restoration insurance jobs, I can say that here in BC, any cars stored in a private building you have insured, such as your home, garage on your property, barns, etc, have to be insured separately by car insurance or you won't get anything for your loss - your home owner's insurance won't cover anything automotive - ( if I remember correctly, there is somewhat of a grey area when it comes to car parts and why they were in the house, but I don't remember the details of that incident as it happened over 30 years ago and I only heard the homeowner's side that time ) - but bid invitation after bid invitation explained very carefully that the home owner's insurance would not pay for anything automotive
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

Here, PA and neighboring states at least, if the vehicle is being stored, and a fire breaks out the coverage on the structure is is what covers the contents. If you are storing at a location is not owned by you, you might not even be able to get the classic car or bus policy—they want to know where it is being stored. If you have in a buddy’s pole barn for $50 a month, if he doesn’t have a commercial policy that covers the value of cars he stores, you might be out in the cold. I used to sell insurance, I’ve seen it happen.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #37
Skoolie

IF that truly is the situation in PA concerning insurance coverage of a vehicle in a garage or structure that is very unusual as a vehicle is an insurable asset that requires a separate policy for coverage in most states. Who pays for the vehicle could be determined by the cause of the fire.
Exceptions can be for "Garage Liability" IF the vehicle is in the possession of shop owner repairing the vehicle.

Each state is different as each state has their own laws for regulation and requirements of insurance coverage and insurance companies.

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brdfrd View Post

2. If you’ve put a lot of sweat equity into your ride, it’s your responsibility to update the policy to reflect the new value. This includes providing photos, and possibly receipts, to prove the new value.

You might want to check on that coverage. They will only cover the classic car if it is revealed in the policy. State Farm said my $40k motorcycle would not be covered if it were stolen or lost in a fire here. Kinda sucks.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:34 AM   #39

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Power Stroke Turbo
I am feeling for the original poster here. Folks, he asked about what he needed to do to make his bus Legal, and instead we have 4 pages of back and forth complaints about insurance. Let's get back on topic and help this guy.

He was asked to provide info on his bus and his state, which he did on page two, so can anyone familiar with MN law help him out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnexpress2 View Post
my bus is a 2003 chevy express ... i'll be pretty much everywhere, but i'm in MN right now.
anyone have any links to this legal info???
Harleymsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:35 AM   #40
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnexpress2 View Post
my bus is a 2003 chevy express ... i'll be pretty much everywhere, but i'm in MN right now.
anyone have any links to this legal info???
MN is fairly simple. Not yellow, no stop sign, No operating flashers. Four of six requirements for an RV, get sheet at DMV. Seems he has license, so he had to provide proof of insurance. No inspection required. Straight up!

Tags
equipment, legal