Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2019, 12:57 PM   #1

How to raise the roof on a fiberglass bus with a steel frame

Hi,

I am planning on raising the roof of my bus and have been watching some YouTube videos, but my bus is fiberglass with a steel frame. My bus is currently just under 10 feet and I was hoping to raise it 1 foot. I know I would have to weld the hat channels in, but unlike other raises I would imagine I can’t use the sheet metal on a fiberglass bus. I was wondering if anyone had any experience raising the roof on a fiberglass bus and can offer any guidance. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Elena

elenab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 05:51 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elenab View Post
Hi,

I am planning on raising the roof of my bus and have been watching some YouTube videos, but my bus is fiberglass with a steel frame. My bus is currently just under 10 feet and I was hoping to raise it 1 foot. I know I would have to weld the hat channels in, but unlike other raises I would imagine I can’t use the sheet metal on a fiberglass bus. I was wondering if anyone had any experience raising the roof on a fiberglass bus and can offer any guidance. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Elena
does a fiber glass bus body have hat channel or steel ribs?
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 06:12 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
the fiberglass body is a sandwich. I don't think raising the roof would be fun.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 09:27 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
does a fiber glass bus body have hat channel or steel ribs?
Old thread...but I have a similar question as the OP.

2001 E450. fiberglass shell. And it's all hat channel, except at the back of the bus (1.5" steel tubing there...).

Be curious to chat with anyone who has done this on a fiberglass shuttle. With my bus, it doesn't seem like it would be a lot different than a typical metal-skin bus. I'd be curious about filling the space...if fiberglass is the ideal option, or if it's conceivable (and/or structurally advisable) to do sheet metal for that. Can one rivet sheet metal over fiberglass (providing there's a metal framework on the inside for the rivets).

Will continue the search!
annihilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 10:36 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Great that you researched and found this old thread.
If I would have to do that then I would take aluminum , to fill the space . I would have a metal shop put a zig zag bend it it so that at the top the aluminum would sit on the inside of the fiberglass and on the bottom it would fall over the fiber glass. That way you have less chance for leaks. Both the bends would stiffen the aluminim and the added panel would fall in the same plane as the fiberglass above and below.. if you wanted to get real good then another strip or may be u channel as rain gutter to sandwich the fiberglass in between and then rivers every 3"
How much do you want to raise the roof?
It might be easier to do it from the bottom. Most busses have a skirt so the material is there.. a bit problematic around the wheel wells and doors.

Good luck,

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 11:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
Great that you researched and found this old thread.
If I would have to do that then I would take aluminum , to fill the space . I would have a metal shop put a zig zag bend it it so that at the top the aluminum would sit on the inside of the fiberglass and on the bottom it would fall over the fiber glass. That way you have less chance for leaks. Both the bends would stiffen the aluminim and the added panel would fall in the same plane as the fiberglass above and below.. if you wanted to get real good then another strip or may be u channel as rain gutter to sandwich the fiberglass in between and then rivers every 3"
How much do you want to raise the roof?
It might be easier to do it from the bottom. Most busses have a skirt so the material is there.. a bit problematic around the wheel wells and doors.

Good luck,

Johan
Thanks Johan.

Aluminium makes a lot of sense now that you mention it...especially with the zig-zag idea you mentioned. The only issue possibly being a reaction with the steel supports? I'd need some sort of membrane between, no? I've often wondered about the rivets too. If a guy is using aluminum rivets, but attaching to steel...is there a problem with the galvanic action?

Assuming this would work...I don't imagine it would structurally much different than it is now.

As for raise from the bottom...I'd be curious to explore that more. Seems like it would complicate things. Especially since the method with cuts in the window area seems to have been thoroughly tested!

Food for thought. I'm still weighing pros and cons of a raise. It's higher on my list of desires than many other things. Mainly for the potential for increased insulation without the spinal-crunch factor.

Really appreciate your reply
annihilate is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, roof raise