Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
How we remove rivets and interior panels from a bus...the easy way.

Hi all,

After 7 or 8 years of working on conversions of all types, my arm has been sufficiently twisted to begin shooting some video of what we do and how we do it. We're not a big shop...it's just me, my wife, our daughter Ruby, and our friend and employee Janelle. So, I hope that what we experience and share can be of help to other do-it-yourselfers.

I've uploaded a few videos to YouTube this week, but this one I wanted to share here. The topic is a question I've been asked often and I hope this of help to others here on Skoolie.net...especially those who are new to the group and bus life.

https://youtu.be/ob5AlwY7_UU

Be well, safe travels, and as always...have a nice day!

Ross, Kara, Ruby and Janelle. And, an occasional cameo by Ginger the Black Mouth Cur.

rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:11 PM   #2
Bus Geek

good stuff
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 09:37 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Hey Ross, thanks for taking the time to make these videos. I subscribed - first time I've ever done that.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 10:28 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
Hey Ross, thanks for taking the time to make these videos. I subscribed - first time I've ever done that.
Haha, I think that makes you subscriber #4...with one of those being my daughter. Like I said, we're very new at this. But I have shot lots of different videos over the past couple of months and now I'm on a mission to populate the YouTube channel with some (hopefully interesting) stuff.

I appreciate your trust and support!

And, thanks to you as well John!
Old 09-15-2021, 11:13 PM   #5
Almost There

Great video! I would like to add that if (like me) you don't have access to an air compressor the best way I've found is to grind off the interior side of the rivet and then just hammer it through by hand with a center punch that cylinder shaped. They shoot right out, but I still wish I had a compressor
Attached Thumbnails
93111_I.jpeg  
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 11:21 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC08 View Post
... I still wish I had a compressor
Thanks for the kind comment! But...don't you have a compressor? If your bus has air brakes and/or air bags, then you have a +200hp compressor.

This brings to mind a thought for another video. Simplicity here (Steve) suggested a do a video on adding an air horn to a bus with air brakes, the proper and safe way, since I told him about installing air horns on our old Ford COE truck. I will do that and, while I'm at it, I'll cover the proper way to install an air chuck which you can use for air tools or airing up tires. Okay...more to do now!
Old 09-15-2021, 11:24 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Thanks for the kind comment! But...don't you have a compressor? If your bus has air brakes and/or air bags, then you have a +200hp compressor.

This brings to mind a thought for another video. Simplicity here (Steve) suggested a do a video on adding an air horn to a bus with air brakes, the proper and safe way, since I told him about installing air horns on our old Ford COE truck. I will do that and, while I'm at it, I'll cover the proper way to install an air chuck which you can use for air tools or airing up tires. Okay...more to do now!
please do! I've heard a lot about it but it seems too intimidating. I'll subscribe on youtube, looking forward to more videos
IC08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:16 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I mounted a hose reel in the left rear of the bus, tied into the brake air tank, with a shut off valve for when not needed.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:29 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Good video. Subscribed so start making more.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Blue Bird
Ya that wouldn't take a couple people to long @ all to do. Beats the old drill bit way by a long shot
Hoss_Bus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rivets