Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2021, 08:45 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Huge roof A/C?

I have a large A/C unit on the roof of my Skoolie?

It has two narrow boxes on the ceiling that run the length of the bus. I’m not sure what to do with it?

I don’t want to lose A/C in my bus, but I don’t know if I can work around it. Not sure if I can upload pictures here? Said I didn’t have sufficient priveleges?

I don’t know if I can insulate my ceiling, install cabinets, or put in a shower with it there. But it is one really strong A/C so I’m hesitant about deleting it

Iwant2bayleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 08:47 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Photo of the box
Attached Thumbnails
1BA6002D-31B3-43D2-8E97-C55CA0844B10.jpg   1EC5AB5A-C162-4702-8A3D-BFB942F502D9.jpg  
Iwant2bayleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:23 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
I would not remove such a nice large ac system. I have not seen pictures of this type before but the interior parts may be just ductwork which could be removed / redesigned. You would want ductwork of some kind to get cold air to the drivers area. If it is the evaporator then it would have to stay.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:33 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
yep thats a really nice roof mount system..

typically those feed down into the bus at just a couple spots.. so you can remove and rework the ducting inside.. ie remove the duct, install cabinets and then install new duct running inside , below, or behind the cabinets.. you can still pull down your interior ceiling to spray foam, leaving the unit up there.. just be careful of the lines and wires if any run inside.. again the ducting doesnt have to be factory you can run new ducting to get the air throughout the bus..

if you pull the system out you will have to either deal with being warm while driving or install a separate solution to use while driving.. most parked-A/C like you use for sleeping at night etc do not have the capacity to overcome engine heat, sun load, freeway heat, etc while driving like that one does.. if you want good A/C while driving, the best way is to rework and incorporate the factory A/C into your build..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 10:34 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
I would not remove such a nice large ac system. I have not seen pictures of this type before but the interior parts may be just ductwork which could be removed / redesigned. You would want ductwork of some kind to get cold air to the drivers area. If it is the evaporator then it would have to stay.

Ted

these whole system reside on the roof.. condenser and evaporators both are in that roof mount enclosure.. then they have a couple cutouts where the air enters the bus and the ducts distribute it..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
I bought a bus without a/c and I thought I would just go without what a mistake. The wife didn’t like it either. So I had to install some. Not easy. 2 compressors and 3 evaporators later and all the hoses necessary we are cool now. The number one rule? Do no harm. Carefully look at how they duct-ed the system and go from there. You won’t regret it. Same with the heaters.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote