Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2007, 12:38 PM   #1

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: International 360
Rated Cap: 66
Info on installing roof top ac

I am new to the bus thing but willing to try. we bought a 93 international ward with the DT360/AT545 powertrain. It just got painted so i am ready to start adding additional features.

1st. I would love to install a roof top ac unit. we do have the emergency hatch that looks like a perfect place for the unit. i am looking at a duotherm unit that is 13.5k BTU's. is that sufficient for the bus? is it beneficial or more problems that it is worth? just got back from cedar point and could use some cooler air! has anyone done this so i can know what not to do?

2nd. I would love to go 65 mph and not 60. How can i adjust the governor if possible?

3rd. There is an enormous amount of heat that builds up in the drivers area. The heater valves are closed under the hood. is this just how they are? Can i insulate the firewall area so it is cooler?

I have already gained a ton of knowledge just reading some other posts.

whoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Info on installing roof top ac

Installing a rootop air unit isn't that hard, I just did one on my bus a couple weeks ago... you can LOOK HERE for additional info and pictures...

The big question is what size is the opening on those escape harches? The rooftop air is designed to fit over a 14"x14" standard RV vent opening. You will also need to have basically flat area, no flange from the hatch... The a/c unit sits right down on the roof with a square gasket that goes around the opening. The gasket is slightly larger than the opening, if I remember correctly the gasket was about 16x16... if your opening is bigger than that, you may have to make a custom gasket but it should still work. The mounting system is a simple squeeze type system, four bolts hang down into the 14x14 opening in each corner, and there are some short pieces mounted at angles that you run the bolt through and clamp it together.

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Re: Info on installing roof top ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopty
I am new to the bus thing but willing to try. we bought a 93 international ward with the DT360/AT545 powertrain. It just got painted so i am ready to start adding additional features.

1st. I would love to install a roof top ac unit. we do have the emergency hatch that looks like a perfect place for the unit. i am looking at a duotherm unit that is 13.5k BTU's. is that sufficient for the bus? is it beneficial or more problems that it is worth? just got back from cedar point and could use some cooler air! has anyone done this so i can know what not to do?

2nd. I would love to go 65 mph and not 60. How can i adjust the governor if possible?

3rd. There is an enormous amount of heat that builds up in the drivers area. The heater valves are closed under the hood. is this just how they are? Can i insulate the firewall area so it is cooler?

I have already gained a ton of knowledge just reading some other posts.
First...welcome!

The emergency hatches are genearlly too large for the A/C unit without making an adapater plate; essentially a flat metal skin with a smaller hole for the A/C unit but the it needs reinforcement and such. It's usually just easier to cut the 14x14 (I think the actual dimensions if I remember correctly are 14-1/4" by 14-1/4") hole from scratch and go that way. You didn't say what size bus you have; if it's a full length bus most motorhomes that size have two roof top A/C units. It's really a personal comfort thing.

See if you can find a plate on your engine that specifies the max rpm. If you're there already at 60 that's as much as you can get out of it. On school buses it's usually the rear end ratio that keeps them slow. You'll have to swap the rear end out to get a higher speed if you're already maxed on rpm but you'll need to have enough horsepower to pull the "taller" gearing if you make the swap.

Can't help you with the last issue (my engine is all the way in the rear) but I suspect there are some good insulation products out there.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote