Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2016, 11:46 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
Installing Rooftop A/C using existing hatches

Has anyone installed rooftop A/C units this way? Is it even possible? Or would it be better to cut another hole for the A/C unit?

If a thread already exists for this, if someone could kindly point me to it I'd be ever so appreciative.

As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 07:55 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
your hatch is I think 24x24" The standard hole for rooftop a/c is 14.5"x14.5"
not sure about another thread, but basically you need to remove emergency exit, cover with sheet steel, brace new Rough opening @ 14.5" weld sheet steel to roof, cut out new 14.5x14.5" hole, then used a few self taping screws for fun, generous elastomaric and roofing tar, making sure they are sealed good. then you should be good for 15 years or so before you leak or have to reseal.

I used a piece of old ceiling material from the inside if you are taking yours down, this is great material, and the cost is right.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Bus Nut

You may be able to get some ideas from the RV sights. Airstream & Avion come to mind. I have replaced the A/C on my Avion, and believe I remember seeing where others had modified vent openings.
good luck
1olfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 10:48 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 5.9L Diesel Engine
Rated Cap: 83
I am actually going to do this very thing this weekend. Just as scootie described. However I do need to check the hole size. I thought it was 14x14, not 14.5 x 14.5.
Most AC units I have looked at read "This unit fits standard 14 x 14 Air Vents"
Old 10-12-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Detroit MBE906
Rated Cap: 72
That tells me what I suspected would be the case, but was hoping I could get away with it as-is.

In either case the A/C is a project for next spring... gonna use a swamp cooler for the remainder of this year, until I need to bring in heat.

And yes, the metal ceiling is most likely coming down to insulate the inside... I wonder if I could get away with just using screws or rivets through the existing holes and just caulk/tar the hell out of it....

Or maybe take a welding class somewhere, I know there are gonna be other things I need to fabricate that will need strength....so that may be a good skill to have once I get good at it.

Thanks for the input.
As a level 1 burglar, Bilbo got a pony when he accompanied the level 60 dwarves on the Smaug the Dragon raid. Those powerlevelers probably invited him solely so he could trigger fellowship attacks for them.
AlleyCat67 is offline   Reply With Quote