Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 454
Insulation

Hey, we finished step 1 on our bus, removing the seats. We will be removing the flooring and taking it down to steel this weekend. The wood underneath the rubber matting was rotted, and we believe this will give us some extra room for laying the new floor anyway.

So, first things first: Can anyone recommend a good underlay for a floating floor that provides decent insulation? Also, looking for ideas to insulate the sides. We are on a budget, but also want to ensure we do this right.

Thanks for any help you have to offer. And yes, just posting links to posts where this has already been answered would be awesome!

retrogeek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:53 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 35
I am using the closed cell rigid foam board for my underlayment and inside my walls. I am only going with 1" under my floor with a 3/4" plywood on top. I am planning to glue the foam to the floor and the plywood to the foam, so I wouldn't call mine floating though.
bstewrat3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
if your living in it you should spray foam the walls and ceiling, nothing better. whats your ceiling height now? this will dictate how much insulating you can do. if its just a weekender treat the rust and go with it like it is. look at the link in my sig.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: MetroTrans
Chassis: Ford E350
Engine: 7.3 IDI
Rated Cap: 30
We did foam board cut into 1' wide strips with 1" furring strips sandwiching them in to foam joist. This was on top of the 5/8" marine grade ply that was there and in perfect condition.

5/8 sub floor on top of that

Finally 10mm laminate with a thin foam underlayment

The ceiling will be 1/2" foam board and reflectex with spray foam; the walls will be spray foam. All covered in 1/2" knotty pine T&G.

Yes, I am crazy.
dadto5 is offline   Reply With Quote