Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 01:29 AM   #1

Year: 2002
Chassis: Ford E-450 SD
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
Interested in the A/C unit in my Ford 2002 Econoline

So I recently bought a 2002 Ford E-450 Super Duty 7.3L Collins school bus to convert. I have been wondering about the A/C unit in it and have been having trouble finding information to answer me. So I am wondering if there are 2 seperate A/C units for the vehicle, one that ford put in the truck and then left a split for the rear A/C that collins added in. I would prefer to keep the A/C up front when I am driving but if it all must go I will survive. If the back and get blocked off and the front still run on the compressor that would be great, if it must go, would there be a replacement system that would give me just things like defroster and driver A/C?

Another option I was curious about was if the alternator would be powerful enough to run the rear electrical A/C that I will be replacing the old one with, it will use a good chunk of power. Not sure if an alternator upgrade would be necessary or a solution... All of this is just thoughts and I felt like this might be a good place for some resources.

b2adventurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 07:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
rear electric A/C - go buy sweatrags for the road..

can you yank out the rear unit and keep the dash air? you always can but how much work it takes to make the dash air wqork again completely depends on how the bus was built..

90% of van cutaway busses use whats called a tie-in system. single compressor for dash air and a skirt condenser.. plus dashboard system and then rear evap..

simply want to be nice N cool? keep the whole thing and get over the small amount of ceiling space itt takes for the rear unit..

if you get under the hood you can look for 2 compressors.. look for a condensor in front of the radiator (like a car has).. if those exist then you may be in luck that collins put a completely separate rear system in that you can simply pull out and the front system will still work perfectly..

if its a tie-in you will find one compressor and no condensor in front of the radiator.. then you need to source lines and a condensor for the front to keep the dash air.. the parts would be the same as used in the regular passenger / cargo E350 style van of a similar year.. likely plenty of these vans in the jumkyard to grab the parts from.

apparently people dont mind going back to 1949 so they can wipe off the sweat driving into the sunset.. all in the name of a little aesthetics..

as for can you run your electric A/C off the alternator? a lot depends on how big your alternator is and how much your electrioc A/C will pull.. if you also have a large battery bank that you connect with an isolator you probably can get away with it.. but mind you pushing an alternator to its max output for long periods of time may overheat and ruin it..

you can install a second alternator.. people have done it.. which can be used exclusively for your 120 volt inverter appliances.. I know it was done on some ambulance chassis as also super capacity alternators were made also.. im not sure on what type of bracketry is involved in imstalling one. my 7.3 is on an IH so my belt drive is different completely than yours. im not much help for suggestions on adding a second alternator.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

simply want to be nice N cool? keep the whole thing and get over the small amount of ceiling space it takes for the rear unit.
I second and third that.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2023, 02:27 PM   #4

Sorry for the delayed response, I can confirm that there is a condenser in front of the radiator.

I don't care about sweating but my lab with her double coat in 100 degree summer temps might care more... I don't mind spending the money to get it fixed but I need to get somewhat of an understanding of the issue.

My heat fan doesn't turn on at all, I know it is an electrical issue just not sure how to get diagrams and info describing how things are run and where to fix. I removed the bus components fuse panel when I did the demo and I'm sure that is where it happened. Again, how to solve.
Old 10-02-2023, 02:28 PM   #5

This response has already been very helpful and I appreciate everything very much!

Tags
a/c, a/c removal, ford e-450, short bus conversion