Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
I ended up using pennies to fill the holes in my floor that were from the bus seat bolts. It seemed that most of the criticism of using pennies is that the difference in materials (most pennies are 95% copper 5% zinc) could cause a reaction against the gal steal if moisture or air became present. I decided to use steal pennies to fill in the holes as they are 99% steal and 1% zinc. Steal pennies were minted in 1943 because copper was needed for bullets in WWII. They cost about $.10 each but I already had a bunch from when I was younger and collected coins. Thought I would share this in case anyone else had doubts about using copper pennies.

jholbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:13 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
During WWII, the Manhattan Project used giant electromagnets to enrich Uranium. Because the copper for these magnets was not available, they instead checked out all of the silver owned by the US Treasury and manufactured the wire from that. Literally throwing money at a problem.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:43 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
We used 6mm automotive plugs as seen in this photo.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BPS6W8tAjcg/

https://sasquatters.com/subfloor/
Old 02-18-2021, 03:12 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Mid Bus
Engine: 6.0L Vortec V8
Rated Cap: 16
Any reason I can't just use butyl mats to seal the floor? I was thinking of covering my floor with those anyway. I would think that they would work just fine to seal the holes rather than pennies or another similar solution.
gmflash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 04:35 PM   #25
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Initially I poopooed all over this stuff, but if you’re looking for something that’s a heavy duty rust inhibitor, like undercoater. This stuff works great.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:15 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: Bantam
Engine: International T444
Rated Cap: 16?
I started using it because my dad sealed a spot on my sister’s roof 5 years ago with it and it is still tenaciously holding up. I like the gorilla brand stuff as well because it goes on thicker. I have also used it as a sealer on customer vehicles with good success you just cant tell anybody you are using it because nobody takes it seriously.
ISAF2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:09 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Mercedes-Benz
Rated Cap: 36pass
I used metal reinforced bondo resin to cover all the holes left behind on my bus, including the holes on the floor after the seat removal, I also used it to fix the plastic around my gear shift which was broken, some sanding down after it dried and the stuff looks flawless, Im looking to buy another quart or half gallon as soon as I see it at the store but they were out online where I ordered and It hasnt been in stock since 🤧
Finixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:30 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

5200 is adhesive/sealant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshie View Post
Aluminium squares and 3M 5200 is what I used. That 5200 is the best sealer I've come across. Some of the squares have come up since but the 5200 hasn't moved. Traditionally it is used as a marine sealant, for both above and below the waterline.
5200 is amazing! But it should really be considered a permanent waterproof adhesive. If used in conjunction with mechanical fastening, the structure will fail before the joint. It is commonly used with bolts to attach the deck and hull of boats. Never use it for windows or hatches, you will never ever get them apart again. Cheers, Kev.
Kevmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Mercedes-Benz
Rated Cap: 36pass
Thanks for this I have some rust holes i need to patch up around the wheel well edges and I was thinking about hiring someone to weld in the patches vs just gluing them with some sort of industrial adhesive and them bolting them down, now I know I can probably just try try and bolt it all down.
Finixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finixie View Post
Thanks for this I have some rust holes i need to patch up around the wheel well edges and I was thinking about hiring someone to weld in the patches vs just gluing them with some sort of industrial adhesive and them bolting them down, now I know I can probably just try try and bolt it all down.
There are probably many more who can give you better advice than I (I’m just collecting data for purchase of my own bus). But from what I have read, the wheel wells are a very important safety feature; keeping a disintegrating tire from entering the cabin. I’m assuming to achieve protection, the wheel well should be properly welded to adjacent flooring - just guessing! Peace, Kev
Kevmiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:13 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90

For the seat holes, these fit snug & flush. $7 for 100pc, sold by Uxcel, Amazon
Sealed with PL Roof & Flashing (urethane sealant) which is safe on metal & xps foam. I primered & painted my seat holes. 10mm may work, otherwise.

This is especially easy. If you have kids helping, it's as simple as crawling around.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 06:52 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Floor Prep

I started out with the twisted wire brushes on my grinder. It was taking forever and doing a poor job. Bought a medium size "abrasive" blaster and used coal slag to blast the sheetmetal floor. Does a great job, drastically fasterbut a bit more expensive and more time in cleaning up the blasting material. Just my two cents.
KoehlerFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 02:31 AM   #33

I remember reading somewhere that Flex Seal is repurposed automotive underbody coating.
Newshawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:04 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
We've got a relatively rust free bus so no major repairs to deal with, just some small spots and a little surface rust. We'll be treating with CORROSEAL (rust converter) and then painting with RUSTOLEUM.

We're going to seal the seat bolt holes with plastic snap in plugs dipped in silicone sealant and snapped in. All those tiny holes from the srews that held down the wood sub floor will be sealed with pop rivets that are dipped in silicone.

All from Amazon.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:18 PM   #35
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jholbert View Post
I ended up using pennies to fill the holes in my floor that were from the bus seat bolts. It seemed that most of the criticism of using pennies is that the difference in materials (most pennies are 95% copper 5% zinc) could cause a reaction against the gal steal if moisture or air became present. I decided to use steal pennies to fill in the holes as they are 99% steal and 1% zinc. Steal pennies were minted in 1943 because copper was needed for bullets in WWII. They cost about $.10 each but I already had a bunch from when I was younger and collected coins. Thought I would share this in case anyone else had doubts about using copper pennies.
I hit each penny with liquid nails, I doubt any of the copper is touching steel.

Tags
floor, rustoleum paint, seal floor, seal floor holes