Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #1

Length of Shuttle Bus

Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a shuttle bus to convert for my family of 5. I have something like what is pictured below in mind but I'm having trouble finding dimensions of this bus. Does anyone know the full length of the vehicle and more importantly the length from the back of the drivers seat to the rear?

Thanks for your responses. Also, any thoughts on this particular type of bus as a bus to convert?
Attached Thumbnails
Snip20201013_27.png  

jmcyeary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
That is about 12’ behind the drivers seat, but in this case there is also a stairway behind the drivers seat so there’s about 2 1/2’ less space than in a bus with a forward stairway. In my opinion that’s way too small for a family of 5. I have a 5 window shorty and I think it’s too small for 2 even.

What do you want to do with it? If you want to add tanks below deck for instance, that shuttle is pretty low.

You should start drawing floor plans with realistic dimensions to get an idea of how much space you need
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
That is about 12’ behind the drivers seat, but in this case there is also a stairway behind the drivers seat so there’s about 2 1/2’ less space than in a bus with a forward stairway. In my opinion that’s way too small for a family of 5. I have a 5 window shorty and I think it’s too small for 2 even.

What do you want to do with it? If you want to add tanks below deck for instance, that shuttle is pretty low.

You should start drawing floor plans with realistic dimensions to get an idea of how much space you need
Thanks for the response. This is not for us to live out of full time, this is more for long summer trips. I don't anticipate doing much with tanks, etc. underneath the bus. The bus would be used mostly for sleeping, eating and riding.

My concern with a longer bus is my ability to drive it on small roads (like some roads in national parks or forests). I'd like to stay very mobile and accessible.

Do you have a bus or length you'd recommend that is the next step up?
Old 10-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
If you want to stick with shuttle buses, look for Krystal Koach. They are limo buses that have a really nice storage area in the back.

I don’t have any experience converting shuttles but I looked at a lot of them. The krystal koach seems like a great platform but can be pricey
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:04 PM   #5
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Coachwork manufacturer specs will vary, but generally speaking, most buses will be about 24-36 inches per seat row. But you have to account for certain factors based on the particular build.

A bus VIN is usually an incomplete chassis serial number that can probably be run through a corresponding dealer for the chassis manufacturer to get the wheelbase (hub center to hub center front/rear) and help get a ballpark answer depending on how much overhang past the drive tires.

For instance, if this one has a 115-inch wheelbase (guessing), that is 9'-7". This one appears to be perhaps another 6 feet past the drive axle, now you're up to 15-'7". Add approximately 4 feet for the front end and you have 19'-7". Educated guess of course. I MIGHT put this one at 21-24 feet total just eyeballing it.

Most buses, even smaller shuttles like this one, will have the entry door even with the driver's seat, so this one is a bit unusual. It's not a dealbreaker, but having the entry door / footwell further back in addition to a factory passenger door / passenger seat could mean a bit more unusable space. That front passenger door and seat as opposed to the typical forward-mounted entry door likely means about 24-36" of unusable space on that side.

Most state parks are skoolie friendly up to and including the big 40 foot RE pushers. Parking, backing and turning are more of a challenge with the larger buses. So it really comes down to what you are comfortable with and what you can get comfortable with. I'll be sending you a couple PMs with some preliminary info on choosing a bus. Welcome to the community!
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEESE_WAGON View Post
Coachwork manufacturer specs will vary, but generally speaking, most buses will be about 24-36 inches per seat row. But you have to account for certain factors based on the particular build.

A bus VIN is usually an incomplete chassis serial number that can probably be run through a corresponding dealer for the chassis manufacturer to get the wheelbase (hub center to hub center front/rear) and help get a ballpark answer depending on how much overhang past the drive tires.

For instance, if this one has a 115-inch wheelbase (guessing), that is 9'-7". This one appears to be perhaps another 6 feet past the drive axle, now you're up to 15-'7". Add approximately 4 feet for the front end and you have 19'-7". Educated guess of course. I MIGHT put this one at 21-24 feet total just eyeballing it.

Most buses, even smaller shuttles like this one, will have the entry door even with the driver's seat, so this one is a bit unusual. It's not a dealbreaker, but having the entry door / footwell further back in addition to a factory passenger door / passenger seat could mean a bit more unusable space. That front passenger door and seat as opposed to the typical forward-mounted entry door likely means about 24-36" of unusable space on that side.

Most state parks are skoolie friendly up to and including the big 40 foot RE pushers. Parking, backing and turning are more of a challenge with the larger buses. So it really comes down to what you are comfortable with and what you can get comfortable with. I'll be sending you a couple PMs with some preliminary info on choosing a bus. Welcome to the community!
Thanks so much!!
Old 10-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
Our Eldorado Aerotech is a 24 footer and it's good for the two of us with no need to do any converting when bed time comes around. You'll likely want cooking, bathroom and dining areas in addition to sleeping space and seating for traveling and you'll need a bit of creativity to pack all that and 5 people into a shuttle bus. 24 feet gives us 16' behind the driver's seat and about 7'6" wide.

Think about furnishings that do double duty such as seating that hides a porta potti, dining tables that convert into sleeping space, storage integrated into the bunks or bunk beds that convert into seating.

Our family camp is a quarter mile off the road on a decently flat two track trail and we have no problems (slowly) getting in and out. Shuttle buses generally have decent ground clearance except for the step well and driving one isn't much different than driving a van.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Go to an RV dealer, and look inside RVs to see how they cram everything in a small space, RV builders have decades of experience doing this. My Dodge RV is 22ft bumper to bumper, and sleeps 6: overhead cab 2, couch 2, dinette 2 all have to be reconfigured for sleeping. My family of 7 vacationed in our 14ft trailer, 2 of us slept in the suburban (the two older brothers)
If you have the weather to basically be outside and leave mom inside to cook, you can do it. If its raining, not going to be so good.

So that bus is great, tow a tent trailer behind and give the kids their own space.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 09:55 PM   #9
Traveling

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeNimble View Post
Go to an RV dealer, and look inside RVs to see how they cram everything in a small space, RV builders have decades of experience doing this. My Dodge RV is 22ft bumper to bumper, and sleeps 6: overhead cab 2, couch 2, dinette 2 all have to be reconfigured for sleeping. My family of 7 vacationed in our 14ft trailer, 2 of us slept in the suburban.
I honestly find RVs to be cramped, even by myself. Been living in a 30-footer for 10 years. A 27-footer before that. BOTH, however, were early 1980s models. That being said, they do have some creative design ideas. I would suggest OP look at semi tractor sleeper cabs as well. Quite a few of their space-saving designs could be adapted to a bus interior.

Also, OP, for a family of 5, if family time is paramount, I would highly recommend a larger bus. You'd be surprised how cramped one of these can seem with three people, let alone five. My honest opinion, a family of five should be looking at something in the 30-40-foot range. Not saying it cannot be done, but with space, it's better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Truthfully, though, I'd normally say the whole purpose of building a bus is so it can accommodate everyone without a second vehicle. Giving the kids their own space, isn't a bad idea... I could see where a shorter bus would work out. That is a thought... 14-foot travel trailer for them, you and yours sleep in the bus, just tow with you and unhitch so any amorous late-night cravings go unnoticed...
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcyeary View Post
Thanks for the response. This is not for us to live out of full time, this is more for long summer trips. I don't anticipate doing much with tanks, etc. underneath the bus. The bus would be used mostly for sleeping, eating and riding.

My concern with a longer bus is my ability to drive it on small roads (like some roads in national parks or forests). I'd like to stay very mobile and accessible.

Do you have a bus or length you'd recommend that is the next step up?
That is basically the size of a panel/work van as far as the footprint. I can tell you right now that your family of 5 will be pretty miserable in that on long trips. You'll have a hell of a time getting sleeping for 5 in there too, even using convertible furniture unless your kids are really little. My party bus is a 25 passenger E450 with a Turtle Top body. It has the similar stairway behind the copilot's chair. I have roughly 18' from the back wall to the driver's seat. What I like about the Turtle Top versus our Goshen is that the body is rounded - which gives slightly more room. They do also make one with the luggage compartment in the back, and there is plenty of room under the skirt for tanks. If I can get it through the narrow roads and tight corners in this town, I wouldn't think you'd have any trouble with park/forest roads.
Taz420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 05:56 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I used the measurements from this sight as a guide during my vehicle search.

IMG]https://global-uploads.webflow.com/5b44edefca321a1e2d0c2aa6/5c76049519ef877f3982d71c_Dimensions-Guide-Transport-Buses-Minibus-Shuttle-Bus-Dimensions.svg[/IMG]
TrailsBy11 is offline   Reply With Quote