Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins
Main Battery - Starting Battery Group 31? 8D?

Figured you crazies are the guys to ask about the bus vechicle battery.
I have some questions.

1. Charging Dead Batteries , do's and dont's: My bus sits quite a bit what rules should I follow to extend the life of my battery.

2. What is the a "good" replacement battery for this, cost? How can I tell if it's time to replace the battery?

3. Buildup of blue and white build up on top of battery on posts and around, why and what to do?

4. Small , small amount of "liquid" from a cap on top probally from a overcharge? probally 2 or 3 drops what does this mean?

5. A good solution for portable jump starting for "just in case" the battery dies away from home while at a 2 or 3 day paintball event? How much portable power do I need?

Any help is appreciated.. probally good for other Newbs to find as a refrence....

I'm going to a 3 day MilSim Paintball Event taking the bus on her first event with my paintball team and friends ... it's a in-state trip but still want to be prepared!

What is Mil-Sim Paintball- check out my friends video of us in action! -

Thanks in advance for your wealth of great info! This site is the best!

Tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Main Battery - Starting Battery Group 31? 8D?

It sounds like you have a water filled battery, if it has caps that you can pry off and you dont see water in there, you should put distilled water in, then put the caps on. Charging the batteries uses a little bit of the water.

The buildup is probably a little bit of the missing water from inside the battery and a little of the acid... I have always been told that its acid. You can take a wire brush and just scrape it off, being gentile on the plastic. The terminals are easy as there is a terminal brush that you can get at most/all autoparts dealers. Attach it to a drill and it makes fast work.

I dont know anything more, but someone else will be along shortly to add more.
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone
Figured you crazies are the guys to ask about the bus vechicle battery.
I have some questions.

1. Charging Dead Batteries , do's and dont's: My bus sits quite a bit what rules should I follow to extend the life of my battery.
Charge them as soon as possible. Dead batteries are sulfating batteries. Charge them as at low a rate as you can stand. If you're stuck somewhere don't put a 2 amp charger on them, but if you know you aren't leaving for a few days a small automatic charger (I prefer Deltran Battery Tenders) would be a great investment. The general rule of thumb is no more than 25% of the batteries rated amp-hour capacity on the charger. This means that if you have a 100 amp hour battery (typical Group 27 deep cycle) you wouldn't charge it at a rate any higher than 25 amps.

Quote:
2. What is the a "good" replacement battery for this, cost? How can I tell if it's time to replace the battery?
Well this depends. Space is a big factor. My bus only has a Group 27 starting battery, but I'll be damned if it hasn't had all the power it needs. I also have the ability to use my house batteries for a starting boost. Basically, get the biggest, most powerful battery with the longest warranty you can afford and you can fit. I know that maybe sounds vague, but it's truth.
Quote:
3. Buildup of blue and white build up on top of battery on posts and around, why and what to do?{/quote]

This is corrosion caused by the ever so slight acid leaks around the terminals. It is perfectly normal and occurs more with age. Cleaning the terminals really well and applying an aerosol sealant should help alleviate this problem.

Quote:
4. Small , small amount of "liquid" from a cap on top probally from a overcharge? probally 2 or 3 drops what does this mean?
This is condensate from the charging process. It is pure water that has come out of the electrolyte within the battery due to charging. A small amount is not worrisome, but a larger amount means you're charging at too high of a rate, severe sulfation, or you're charging for too long. As was suggested above, pop the caps off and check the elctrolyte level. Add distilled water until the plates are just covered, but leave an air gap at the top. This will restore the proper pH level to the electrolyte (remember...water evaporates, but acid remains in the battery).

Quote:
5. A good solution for portable jump starting for "just in case" the battery dies away from home while at a 2 or 3 day paintball event? How much portable power do I need?
Just get a good set of long, heavy duty jumper cables. Building your own with wire from a welding supply shop might be the most cost effective solution. There is a good chance there will be someone around willing to jump you. Otherwise, a Group 27 or larger starting battery is probably what you should carry. The best bet is to just not let it go dead and it shouldn't since a starting battery is just for starting. Your inverters and other large loads should be run off isolated house batteries of the deep cycle variety.

Quote:
Any help is appreciated.. probally good for other Newbs to find as a refrence....
Want to do some reading? This site will offer all kinds of great information.

http://www.phrannie.org/phredex.html
Old 04-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Great....

Thanks for the quick responses... I will dive into the links provided....

I feel better already .... I love this forum!

Thanks for your help guys!
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Tearing into the websites you guys posted... lots of data at the poop sheet site... good stuff...

Can anyone recommend a "inexpensive" solar PV "battery charger"....

or provide the specs of a "decent" or acceptable charge rate.. watts or whatever..... for long term trickle charge

Thanks
Old 04-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Great info.. thanks!