Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2016, 05:09 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126 7.2 / Allison AT545
Rated Cap: 77 Passenger
Metal Ceiling Paint

I have to think this has already been discussed but could not find it...

I want to paint AND seal the original ceiling in my Thomas; however, I have now put 2 heavy coats of thick Rustoleum paint on one section and it appears as though the little holes just suck the stuff right through!!!

What has anyone else done??

My next attempt would have to be something like Flex Seal?!?!!

PoolRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Bus Nut

You're talking about the exterior roof, correct?

You want to use an elastomeric paint designed for roof use, like this one...

Gardner Sta-Kool 5 Gal. 770 Cool Roof Elastomeric Coating-SK-7705 - The Home Depot
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

no I actually mean the interior ceiling which has like a bazillion little holes in it as part of a pattern!! brutal...
Old 08-09-2016, 07:35 PM   #4
Bus Nut

You have the perforated ceiling panels. Not sure how people seal them.
BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:24 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Good luck on that with paint. This may sound crazy, but run a a very thin coat of (plaster) joint compound over the holes as necessary to fill, prime with cheap latex wall paint, then roller coat with any paint of your choice. This will be a permanent cure as long as it stays dry, A more ascetic method would be to glue very short nap carpet to the ceiling---looks good and deadens sound. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I actually thought about the joint compound idea but wondered ( being in a bus ) if it would just crack down the road!!??
Old 08-30-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Gensis
Those tiny holes in your ceiling are for sound dampening as I am told and comparing my bus to others will full metal roofing I believe it to be true. My entire ceiling is done with that stuff and it is awesome.

As it so happens I just painted the entire inside of my bus this past weekend. Took a ton of planning to figure out how to paint it but not fill the holes and get it looking right. Let me provide what I can.

First you need to buy the 64 oz HVLP Professional from Harbor Freight. There are other solutions but with the volume of what your painting, the angle you need to paint it, and flow... this is the best product for the money. I have a few HVLP guns now from figuring this out and this is the winner. You can spray this upside down or any which way all day.

64 oz. Professional HVLP Air Spray Gun Kit

You need a large compressor that can run air tools. Specifically I went with one from Home Depot that is a 20 gallon tall monster. Most reviews of this HVLP gun are from people who I believe used the gun incorrectly and gave it negative reviews (they over preasured the system). Using the instructions that are included, set the air compressor when fully open to about 45 psi. I did not adjust the regulator on the unit. Oh, clean the hell out of the gun kit cause it stinks to high hell and is oiled when shipped. Anyhow use the paint flow bar to adjust the flow of paint.

Now this particular gun as a spray fan of like 1 foot which seems large. I shot white gloss rustoleum from Home Depot cut 80/20 with accetone. The accetone helps the paint cure faster and worked awesome.

My bus is a 30 foot Amtran Genisis and it took 1 gallon to paint the ceiling and walls (not the walls under the windows). The final product was amazing and dried the next day. I picked up a gallon of accetone and a gallon of paint thiner for clean up. It took longer to clean the gun than paint.

I took out all of my windows, wiped down all of the walls with the paint thinner, and taped off the vents, lights, speakers and windows that didnt get removed. I then sprayed using the method above. I had to fill the tank regularly and had my wife doing this. I dont think I would have wanted to do that alone as the paint dried super fast.

All said and done it looks like it was done at the factory and couldnt be more pleased. First time using an HVLP gun but I did air brush as a kid so it wasn't bad.

*** Forgot to mention, if you still want to fill the holes you can still do this, just keep the gun in one spot for a bit longer and the holes will fill. I have about 20 where I paused moving due to a hose getting caught up and need to re-open them. Just dont thin your paint and it will be easy to fill them.***
Crozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:09 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Personally, I ripped all that perf panel ceiling stuff off. Air exchange through the holes causes the insulation to be brown/black and gross.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolRoom View Post
I have to think this has already been discussed but could not find it...

I want to paint AND seal the original ceiling in my Thomas; however, I have now put 2 heavy coats of thick Rustoleum paint on one section and it appears as though the little holes just suck the stuff right through!!!

What has anyone else done??

My next attempt would have to be something like Flex Seal?!?!!
aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 08:09 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: tc2000
Chassis: blue bird
Engine: cummings 5.9
I think you should get some self tapping screws and a few sheets of 1/8" A-B birch ply. install, and paint or stain.
scootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 12:28 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Genesis/Am-Tran Tall Roof
Chassis: International, 643 transmission
Engine: DT 466ci 250hp, International
Rated Cap: 86 screaming Monsters
I like the carpet idea myself. Looks like a great way to cover the holes add a bit of insulation and pick up some great noise absorption quality's.
Geo Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:43 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International (Navistar)
Chassis: 37' FE Flatnose 3800FC
Engine: 7.6L DT466 with Allison MD 3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo Jeff View Post
I like the carpet idea myself. Looks like a great way to cover the holes add a bit of insulation and pick up some great noise absorption quality's.
I like the carpet idea too, but have a question. If you plan on removing the metal ceiling and replacing the insulation up there, how could you put carpet up so it would stay and also not sag?
Maggie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:58 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie01 View Post
I like the carpet idea too, but have a question. If you plan on removing the metal ceiling and replacing the insulation up there, how could you put carpet up so it would stay and also not sag?
School buses often have a condensation problem inside. I imagine a carpeted ceiling would get pretty nasty pretty quick.
Old 04-19-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
School buses often have a condensation problem inside. I imagine a carpeted ceiling would get pretty nasty pretty quick.
It does. Before the days of the internet I remember folks doing carpet over the metal. Its smelled RANK.
Buddy of mine has an OLD conversion from the 70's that's carpeted like that. He uses it for storage. Man it smells so bad!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote