Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2023, 10:59 AM   #1

Mini Blue bird! So many questions!

So I recently (nov 17th) got my own bus! I've been trying to get one for a very long time, and was able to get a 2001 mini blue bird for a great price. Unfortunately there isn't much information online about the bus. Like for instance, how to turn off the emergency alarm, how to remove the heater in the front, how to remove the stop sign, ect. I've went on the blue bird website and found the bus. But there is zero documents or manuals. So if anyone has converted a mini blue bird please give me your secrets!

Vices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2024, 05:47 PM   #2

Hi! Hows your conversion going? I just inherited* a 7 window Blue Bird and am looking to take on the project. Starting to feel overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. Any guidance would be appreciated!
KeepTheDreamAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:14 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
The Mini Bird was based on Chevrolet's P30 step-van chassis, that's the truck part. Bluebird added the things that make it a bus, windows, stop sign etc. Things are pretty much simple mechanic stuff, very little would be specific to the mini bird.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:56 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vices View Post
So I recently (nov 17th) got my own bus! I've been trying to get one for a very long time, and was able to get a 2001 mini blue bird for a great price. Unfortunately there isn't much information online about the bus. Like for instance, how to turn off the emergency alarm, how to remove the heater in the front, how to remove the stop sign, ect. I've went on the blue bird website and found the bus. But there is zero documents or manuals. So if anyone has converted a mini blue bird please give me your secrets!
Welcome to the journey!

Before I bought my bus I had dreamed of the many ways I was going to build it but once I got it all plans had changed.

What helped me out in the time before and after I bought my bus was that I did alot of research/reading before and after the bus purchase.

I suggest first using the search button, there is a trove a good info here on this forum!

Once you get to a spot in your build where you need to ask a question of show off your build you will at least have some basic knowledge/understanding of what you are doing.

I found this older thread that you might want to look at, a 1999 mini bluebird build. Good place as any to start learning!

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/m...-p30-3599.html

Again, welcome and don't forget to upload pictures of your build!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 12:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheDreamAlive View Post
Hi! Hows your conversion going? I just inherited* a 7 window Blue Bird and am looking to take on the project. Starting to feel overwhelmed by the amount of information out there. Any guidance would be appreciated!
So far I've gotten out my wheelchair lift, taken out all seat, removed the rubber from the floor, and have painted it in a protective coat. I completely understand feeling overwhelmed, I feel it almost every time I do something new to the bus. It feels like alot, and in all honest it can be.
Alot of people want to make there school bus look and feel like a regular home or rv. Which you absolutely can, but you don't have to. You don't have to completely take out the floor and walls. It's very important to make a sub floor, and laying out wood and insulation. For the walls, you don't need to worry about them. You also don't have to make some big water system, or connect a fancy toilet.
I'd say, work about your floor and you 100% have to seal as much of the inside of the bus as possible with some type of sealing paint. Otherwise, do whatever you are comfortable with.
Vices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 04:59 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepTheDreamAlive View Post
Welcome!
Don't allow yourself to get overwhelmed with your project. Take it one step at a time. allow yourself the time for research and planning...the doing will come naturally as you proceed forward.

For guidance, what I would do is read about tother people's builds, read about how they got it done. Then apply those tips and techniques that best fit your scenario. Each bus is custom built and yours will be too!

If you need a refreshing break then just get in the bus, drive somewhere that makes you feel relaxed and have lunch or spend the night in the that relaxing parking spot!

Oh yeah, and post some pics as you go forward. we all like to look at pics!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mini blue bird, new bus owner, skoolie conversion