Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2022, 08:36 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Mounting a flat screen TV

Looking for some experience based advice on mounting a flat TV to the wall of a Skoolie that will be used to travel. I mention travel because I want to make sure that whatever mounting style is used will keep it secure while driving. I only need the TV flat on the wall, don't need any swivel or tilt. I am currently framing the walls and just want to make sure I have support where I need it to attach whatever TV mount I am using. Worst case I figure I will just frame my wall 16o.c. similar to a house wall since that is what the brackets are designed to be used with.

bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a standard VESA flat mount should work... I would find one where the locking bar latches in as opposed to just sliding in..

the way these mounts work is you bolt a mounting plate to the wall.. studs or beams / ribs.. do not use anchors in wood or wallboard.. there is another plate that mounts to the back of the TV.. the TV then hooks over the top of the wall plate and will stay there on its own,,

a locking bar slides in from one side and keeps the bottom from pulling out, and also keeps you from unhooking the TV at the top. ive seen 2 types of mounts.. one, the locking bar latches in (it will have a ribbon / string to pull that unlatches the latch.. when the bar is pulled out then the TV can be removed..

the other type ive seen the bottom bar just slides in.. i wouldnt use that in a bus as that bar could slide out (and itself do damage to the bus or occupants).. or let the TV fly... so id look for one with the latching bar
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:24 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I should add that most TV brackets have multiple mounting holes or you can drill your own..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 04:28 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird All American Re
Engine: Cat 3126
Thanks! I appreciate the info.
bridg73988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 06:23 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
I have a unit just like Cadillackid mentions. Three or four large screws in 3/4" veneer plywood is all it takes to make the mount rock-solid.

If you are screwing into softer wood like shiplap, more and/or longer screws, and maybe some backing directly behind where you mount it.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 04:02 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 78
Flat Screen TV mount

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridg73988 View Post
Looking for some experience based advice on mounting a flat TV to the wall of a Skoolie that will be used to travel. I mention travel because I want to make sure that whatever mounting style is used will keep it secure while driving. I only need the TV flat on the wall, don't need any swivel or tilt. I am currently framing the walls and just want to make sure I have support where I need it to attach whatever TV mount I am using. Worst case I figure I will just frame my wall 16o.c. similar to a house wall since that is what the brackets are designed to be used with.
I have two televisions mounted.
One (35”) in my bedroom, and one (43”) in my living room.
The bedroom is mounted on a swivel mount on a wall that separates my bedroom and my bathroom.
The living room television is mounted on a swivel mount that is screwed onto a 3/4” sheet of plywood (the good stuff, not that crappy particle board or wood shavings) that is screwed into 2 x 4’s, which are screwed into the steel wall of my bus.
BriteLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat screen, flat tv, mount