Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2019, 09:01 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
No more Thermal breaks?

interesting product

Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Almost There

Year: 2002
Engine: Cummins 8.3 ISC 300
Rated Cap: 36,200lbs
T-Studs are pretty awesome. I'm planning on using them in my next residential build, had to get my local lumber yard to carry them. They also have higher load strength than a 2"x6" AND resist buckling. You can get them without insulation pre-filled which gives a channel for wiring without drilling. Problem here is you can't use them as intended in an RV without losing 5.5" on each side. I'm pretty obsessed with eliminating all thermal breaks and air leakage in residential builds. I heat my New York, 2500 sqft house, near the Canadian border for ~$400 / year. That's all because of a full thermal break and spray foam everywhere. Yes, we have an air ex-changer because the house is so tight. I get it's a use-case thing, in that you may not need good insulation depending on where you park, but I don't think a lot of builds I've seen here go far enough. I cringe every time I see a daylight / an air gap behind the shore power connection, etc. The rule of thumb from good contractors when asked how much insulation is needed is: "As much as you can afford".
Neorush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neorush View Post
Problem here is you can't use them as intended in an RV without losing 5.5" on each side.
You could scale down the t-stud concept and produce a similar beam that was, say, 2" high instead of 6". In a skoolie, though, the only place you could really use it would be as "joists" for a floor, since the wall and ceiling insulation is already mostly into the cavities between the ribs. And you'd end up with about the same R-value as XPS foam board, which has sufficient PSI resistance that you wouldn't need the joists to begin with.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
using a form of ski technology combined with this idea, it would be pretty easy to make ribs an inch +/- wider than the hat channel that would fit right beside the hat channel, eliminating the thermal break AND giving something structural to fasten wall coverings, cabinets, etc to - not that I need something else to do with all the projects I already have on the go, but it gives me something to think about when it comes time to insulate my bus come spring - it would be a big labour saver too - having preformed insulated spacers instead of having to make multiple cuts in wood would save hours and hours of labour getting a bus ready to insulate
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote